Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6810 [178]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [21]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [16]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: Gone are the sharp edges and jutting planes of styles from former eras [#permalink]
Kudos
I think its E - it uses the participle "flaunting" and the "more ... than" properly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Gone are the sharp edges and jutting planes of styles from former eras [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A for me.

Tricky one. There is an idiom being tested here I believe. You have "rather than" or you have "more X than Y".

A. "conforming to the shape of the body rather than flauting shape..." sounds clear/clean. And correct usage of "rather than" in my opinion.
B. Altered intent. "conformed" is odd and "not to flaunting shape" is also weird
C. "and not to shape flaunted" is awkward
D. "More TO... than shape flaunted" sounds awkward.
E. "more TO the shape of the body than flaunting shape..." sounds awkward.

To me, both D and E would sound better if it was "more TO....than TO..." this seems consistent and concise.

sondenso wrote:
31. Gone are the sharp edges and jutting planes of styles from former eras
instead, designers of everything from cars to computer monitors have adopted a cornerless style of smooth surfaces and curves that is more ergonomic, conforming to the shape of the body rather than flaunting shape for its own sake.

(A) more ergonomic, conforming to the shape of the body rather than flaunting shape
(B) more ergonomic, conformed to the body's shape and not to flaunting shape
(C) ergonomic, more conformed to the shape of the body and not to shape flaunted
(D) ergonomic, conforming more to the body's shape rather than shape flaunted
(E) ergonomic, conforming more to the shape of the body than flaunting shape
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah on second thought A does look better. D changes the meaning ever so subtly by removing the "more" at the beginning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3664 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
For me,More Ergonomic is required thus between A&B and conformed in B is the spoiler and A sounds the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 357 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
i will go with 'E'.Morever i have a doubts Is it right to say 'more ergonomic' or 'less ergonomic' ? i think we don't say more scientific or less scientific likewise we can't say more ergonomic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
I think E will change the meaning. Besides, I think it does have comparison issues: shape of the body vs flaunting shape
I was left with A on this.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6810 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
raconteur wrote:
A for me.

Tricky one. There is an idiom being tested here I believe. You have "rather than" or you have "more X than Y".

A. "conforming to the shape of the body rather than flauting shape..." sounds clear/clean. And correct usage of "rather than" in my opinion.
B. Altered intent. "conformed" is odd and "not to flaunting shape" is also weird
C. "and not to shape flaunted" is awkward
D. "More TO... than shape flaunted" sounds awkward.
E. "more TO the shape of the body than flaunting shape..." sounds awkward.

To me, both D and E would sound better if it was "more TO....than TO..." this seems consistent and concise.

sondenso wrote:
31. Gone are the sharp edges and jutting planes of styles from former eras
instead, designers of everything from cars to computer monitors have adopted a cornerless style of smooth surfaces and curves that is more ergonomic, conforming to the shape of the body rather than flaunting shape for its own sake.

(A) more ergonomic, conforming to the shape of the body rather than flaunting shape
(B) more ergonomic, conformed to the body's shape and not to flaunting shape
(C) ergonomic, more conformed to the shape of the body and not to shape flaunted
(D) ergonomic, conforming more to the body's shape rather than shape flaunted
(E) ergonomic, conforming more to the shape of the body than flaunting shape

Good catch, Racon. OA is A. I have just seen the NOT-Parallelism in E! thanks you and all :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [2]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Bookmarks
I am able to see now how e is correct logically and grammatically. But there is one doubt :isn't the construction in D, a more X than Y construction. As per this construction, body's shape and shape flaunted are both nouns and hence parallel to each other.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [4]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Gone are the sharp edges and jutting planes of styles from former eras; instead, designers of everything from cars to computer monitors have adopted a cornerless style of smooth surfaces and curves that is more ergonomic, conforming to the shape of the body rather than flaunting shape for its own sake.

A. more ergonomic, conforming to the shape of the body rather than flaunting shape

B. more ergonomic, conformed to the body's shape and not to flaunting shape awkward + parallelism issue

C. ergonomic, more conformed to the shape of the body and not to shape flaunted
1. awkward 2. parallelism issue 3. incorrect usage of MORE...THAN idiom

D. ergonomic, conforming more to the body's shape rather than shape flaunted incorrect usage of MORE...THAN idiom

E. ergonomic, conforming more to the shape of the body than flaunting shape comparison issue
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
D would have been parallel if it were to be: ergonomic, conforming more to the body's shape rather than to the shape flaunted: Then the template would be more to x rather than to y.

Another tangle to this: We say it is ergonomic, and hence the shape is already conforming to the body’s shape. In that case, there cannot be another shape (that is) flaunted; Thus the meaning gets digressed, as if the thing has two shapes, one that is ergonomic and another that is flaunted. This is something that is untenable
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM