Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Strategic Finance Jobs Besides Corp Dev? [#permalink]
ngould wrote:
A traditional FP&A role will be more forward looking and will involve some decision making as opposed to an accounting role. Just so I have a better idea, how long have you been working? Are you currently an analyst?

Well, I don't have a permanent job, just working as a temp for a smaller company in corporate finance for a few months and I've been looking to lateral into something more exciting. The main issue I have is that I'm doing all of the backward looking analysis (i.e. putting together reports, etc.) but I'm not able to get into the strategic aspect of it (i.e. why did we vary so much and how can we fix it). Ideally, my role would involve the NPV analysis that I mentioned earlier although I think brand management/strategic planning are interesting as well. I'm just trying to figure out what types of roles I should be on the lookout for.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Kudos
From what I understand, it sounds like you are searching for a traditional FP&A job. FP&A is the most common corporate finance role for an analyst.

So, just a piece of advice. Many companies will lump accounting and finance positions in together, especially for lower level jobs. In your job search, try to focus on companies that have separate accounting and finance jobs. This way, when you apply for a finance position, it will be specifically geared towards fiance.

Most finance roles start off as support roles, so nothing to exciting there. However, as you move up in the company your role will hopefully get shifted to managing the finances of smaller business units within the company.

Hopefully this was helpful. Best of luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ngould wrote:
From what I understand, it sounds like you are searching for a traditional FP&A job. FP&A is the most common corporate finance role for an analyst.

So, just a piece of advice. Many companies will lump accounting and finance positions in together, especially for lower level jobs. In your job search, try to focus on companies that have separate accounting and finance jobs. This way, when you apply for a finance position, it will be specifically geared towards fiance.

Most finance roles start off as support roles, so nothing to exciting there. However, as you move up in the company your role will hopefully get shifted to managing the finances of smaller business units within the company.

Hopefully this was helpful. Best of luck.

Ah, so basically it sounds like I'm just being an entitled college kid who is expecting to be doing high-level work too soon then. I guess I'll just ride it out and keep looking for opportunities to jump to a company with a greater diversity of roles. Hopefully from there I can schmooze my way into more exciting roles. Thanks a lot and this was definitely useful. +1 for you.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts