Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Do the strategies work anymore SC GMAT ?? [#permalink]
Kudos
Sorry about your score.
If i may, let me point out a few things I realized during my preparation.

1) How much practice have you done using the strategies? Learning is one thing and practicing 100-150 tough SC questions is another thing. Pratice makes you exam ready.
2) Have you practiced under strict timing constraints? I felt that if someone spend 2-3 minutes on SC, he will get most of the questions right. But solving them in 90 seconds is what is required on the exam. So you have to get used to it.
3) If you have not followed step 2, you might have very well not managed your time well on the exam. Generally, if one doesnt manage his time, he will race through the last one-third of his exam, and with a situation like this there is a high probability that you will provide a wrong answer for 2 or more consecutive problems. GMAT penalizes heavily for this.

And a short answer to your question. If you are talking about the 8-10 mistake identifying strategies on SC---- yes they do work. If you are more clear about your question and strategy you have followed, others can provide specific answers. Since you are talking about a retake, i would suggest you to go through some previous posts and do some research work on the kind of materials , methods of preparation etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
dear nkimidi7y /Rajat,

I too gave my GMAT a few days back and found my score horribly skewed from my preparation leading to the exam.
I am in the process of conducting a postmortem study of what went wrong and the one thing I have figured out is that I did not have enough 'exam readiness' or practice in 'real conditions' especially in verbal which you say comes from practicing your strategy's on 150 -200 hard qns - I think i wasn't doing that enough(though i did take a few mocks)
Well, I am thoroughly disappointed by my attempt( i got a meager 28 in verbal even though i had a very good preparation and strategy cut out for the test day). I would like to know what is the best way to practice and tune your mind to attack the verbal portion of the GMAT
I know Rajat mentions Grockit for extensive practice, nkimidi7y : can you give me your inputs too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GMATBaumgartner,

Let us talk about SC first. There are two types of sources for practice. 1-> GMAT OG,questions from GMAT Prep. 2-> Other sources that are not mentioned in 1.
Since there are limited number of sources fron OG and GMATPrep we need to do some practice from other sources.
My practice was like this:
Stage1: Study all the chapters of manhattan SC. Then practiced 50 questions from OG.
Stage2: Practiced 100-200 questions from 1000SC series.

After stage1 and stage 2: i was constantly scoring 75% on every 20 questions. (But i was unable to spot where my errors, since they were very random).

then came GROCKIT into picture. The advantage with it is that it allows you to choose 1) the type of questions you want 2) the difficulty.
I followed this particular strategy, which has definitely improved my skills,understanding and confidence:
Choose a particular type of error/topic: example subject verb agreement and practice 10-15 questions. Review why a particular answer choice is right or wrong. then go back to the respective chapter in ManhattanSC and read it from the first word to the last word carefully. This is a very good strategy. This makes you a skillful at that particular error. ( So its like, become skillful with subject-verb agreement first, then skillful with tense, then with parallelism and so on. When you become skilled with each of them, you will be better prepared to answer questions which include more than one error.).

A tip while following grockit or 1000 sc: Some questions would seem very unconventional. If you find some answer not satisfying, research on the internet forums extensively.

Then go back to OG before the exam and solve all the SC questions.

Critical Reasoning:
Critical reasoning bible is a good book for reading and understanding.
Follow some online lessons or private tutoring to learn the strategies to attack different kinds of problems.
With CR, you should be adept at attacking the question type.
Practice grockit and OG.

Reading Comprehension
Time management is the most important thing. Long passages in GMAT are structured. Give a quick glance through the paragraphs. Dont try to remember details. While practicing tune yourself to make a mental map of the following 1) Why has author written this passage? 2) Did he agree or disagree , praise or criticize the main idea? 3) What is the connection of each passage to the previous passage, what is the connection of each line to the previous line?

If you find a passage very difficult to understand, dont waste your time in understanding completely. Starting answering the questions.

Generally the large passages in GMAT has the following structure.
Para 1-> Introduction
Para 2,3-> is mostly about examples or explanations or counter example.( you can skim through these two paras. just understand why this para is present and what it contains. if it talks about the population of USA in the 1940 before the blah blah blah.................. your job is to remember that the keyword population of USA exists in para 2.)
last para -> author states his stand using examples.

Short passages: No short cuts :) read it completely.

"Thursdays with RON" by manhattan forum has 60-70 free classes. Go through them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Send PM
Please note that I am not an expert.These are my experiences while taking the GMAT. Professional tutors may give better advise.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you nkimidi7y.
Your strategies look correct and helping.
What I had done is, read Manhattan SC guide with solving the questions which were coming after each chapter only. and after completing the book didn't practice well for individual types. Actually didn't track my mistakes and I guess I messed up here. That is why I was not able to understand the type the question effectively.

Thanks once again for your response.

Thanks,
Abhishek
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Thank you nkimidi7y.
I plan to make a thorough plan keeping your strategy's in mind. thanks once again
GMAT Club Bot