Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Send PM
Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Just announced this morning -- NYU will reopen on Monday, November 5 now that electricity has been restored to all buildings.

The main NYU website is back up (https://www.NYU.edu) but the Stern site is still down as of now.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to know if it is really a disadvantage to use a traditional essay (word) rather than an audio / video clip for essay 3. If yes, then how can I make sure to minimize it i.e. what points to keep in mind while submitting a traditional essay (word) for essay 3?

I think it is much easier to put in a lot more to the point content in a traditional essay (word), however you run the risk of being a little boring (compared to other submissions). I was just watching a few essay 3 examples on youtube and was really overwhelmed to see the how creative people have been with their essay 3 submissions.
My problem is that I have lost a lot of my old photographs, videos etc. and hence it would be tough for me to build a multimedia based story.

Finally, just wanted to know how important is essay 3 (compared to the other two essays)? I know this must be important, otherwise the adcom would not have asked this but my sense is that compared to the other two essays, it must not really be as important. Just a gut feel, I might be totally wrong here.

Guys, please provide your valuable inputs.

Thanks,
IndianExpress
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Sannuzzo wrote:
Hello,
it's great to have current students supporting us in the process, thanks!
I had a couple of questions for the current students:
1) In my opinion the Collaborative community at Stern is something that both distinguishes the school and brings a lot of value to the MBA. According to your experience, do you really feel cooperation more than competition?
2) I think the DBi program is really exciting. Have you met any second-year student who joined it? Any feedback?
Thanks a lot!

1. The community is definitely more collaborative than others (based on seeing other schools at recruiting events). Stern definitely likes this aspect and admits based in part on how well people fit in to this ethos.
2. Based on feedback from second years DBi is interesting but pretty low contact at times (during recruiting season for example).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:
suting wrote:
International applicants should apply in round 1 ??

I wanna do in round 2 but worried...

I'm not international, so anyone else with more experience about this, please chime in!

Ideally, every school wants you to apply as early as your application is ready to be submitted -- this does not mean the earliest round available, but the earliest round where you feel you have put together an application that shows you in your best light.

That being said, I've heard most schools encourage, if not require, international applicants to apply BEFORE the last round so you still have time to get your visa. For NYU that would be in either R1 or R2 so you should be fine :)

I am an international and form my experience and having spoken to others I would say definitely NOT round three. R1 or R2 is fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
I do not see a word limit for the optional essay in the application instructions. I am discussing two issues in the optional essay. Is it okay to have it 700 words long?

Originally posted by yonderworld on 03 Nov 2012, 19:37.
Last edited by yonderworld on 05 Nov 2012, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi all, Stern's site is back online but no mention of a deadline extension (yet?). Probably check back on Monday for updates about that.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Telamon,

I think it is great that you are taking time out of your schedule and helping us.

I want your opinion regarding essay 3, I am actally really worried about it.
I have just completed the other two essays and am not sure if I would be able to prepare a multimedia pack (video, audio etc) in the remaining time. Can you please give me your opinion regarding the importance of medium with respect to this essay? Do you see a sizeable percentage of the current class who submitted a traditional essay for this?

I am actually planning to go with the traditional approach (word essay). However if it is a real disadvantage, then I will have to re-think the timelines and apply in R2 instead.
The major reason I want to apply in R1 is that applicants in this round get preference in terms of scholarship / aid.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
IndianExpress wrote:
Hi Telamon,

I think it is great that you are taking time out of your schedule and helping us.

I want your opinion regarding essay 3, I am actally really worried about it.
I have just completed the other two essays and am not sure if I would be able to prepare a multimedia pack (video, audio etc) in the remaining time. Can you please give me your opinion regarding the importance of medium with respect to this essay? Do you see a sizeable percentage of the current class who submitted a traditional essay for this?

I am actually planning to go with the traditional approach (word essay). However if it is a real disadvantage, then I will have to re-think the timelines and apply in R2 instead.
The major reason I want to apply in R1 is that applicants in this round get preference in terms of scholarship / aid.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Not a problem at all - happy to help. Believe me I wouldn't have been able to get through the admissions process (or get through the recruiting process) without the help of people who had done it before. You'll find people at Stern are generally willing to help.

My guess is that medium does play some role, but that content is key. I remember last year one guy submitted an amazing video, but the content was a little thin and he got dinged. So my advice is content first medium second.

The one thing I would say is that under no circumstances should this be a copy and paste from another school's application. The ad-com here is very engaged and will know all other schools essay questions and will ding you in an instant if they think this is the case. Stern's ad-com loves to feel loved, so make sure they know you did this essay just for them.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Telamon wrote:
aerien wrote:
suting wrote:
International applicants should apply in round 1 ??

I wanna do in round 2 but worried...

I'm not international, so anyone else with more experience about this, please chime in!

Ideally, every school wants you to apply as early as your application is ready to be submitted -- this does not mean the earliest round available, but the earliest round where you feel you have put together an application that shows you in your best light.

That being said, I've heard most schools encourage, if not require, international applicants to apply BEFORE the last round so you still have time to get your visa. For NYU that would be in either R1 or R2 so you should be fine :)

I am an international and form my experience and having spoken to others I would say definitely NOT round three. R1 or R2 is fine.

Hi Telamon,

Would you know where in the online application can we find the International Student Supplement? The information in the website seems to suggest that it can be found in the online application; however, I am unable to spot anything. Is it a form that needs to be filled or is it another section in the online app?

Any help would be appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Send PM
Wonder if it makes sense emailing Stern and asking if they will consider moving the deadline. The downtime last week definitely sucked because the website was down and we couldn't visit either.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
gsmon wrote:
Wonder if it makes sense emailing Stern and asking if they will consider moving the deadline. The downtime last week definitely sucked because the website was down and we couldn't visit either.

Guys,

Stern has extended the deadline till Nov 26th for the first round. This is what Stern has posted on its website:

"We are providing a grace period for those applicants who experienced difficulties in working on their application due to Hurricane Sandy. Applicants who submit a completed application by November 26 will still receive their initial notification by February 15, as well as receive priority consideration for merit scholarships and off-site interviews."

Also, here is the web link:

https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /index.htm

I hope this gives all of us ample time to finish our applications.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm not sure if I'm the only one thinking about who the 26th deadline applies to. So I called up the admissions office to confirm if the special/revised deadline applies to all R1 applicants.

I was told that it is meant for only those who were directly affected by Sandy. If anyone else could confirm the same, that would be great.

P. S. I can totally understand why it would not apply to everybody and think it's fair. Just wanted to make sure.

cognizant2001 wrote:
gsmon wrote:

Guys,

Stern has extended the deadline till Nov 26th for the first round. This is what Stern has posted on its website:

"We are providing a grace period for those applicants who experienced difficulties in working on their application due to Hurricane Sandy. Applicants who submit a completed application by November 26 will still receive their initial notification by February 15, as well as receive priority consideration for merit scholarships and off-site interviews."

Also, here is the web link:

https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /index.htm

I hope this gives all of us ample time to finish our applications.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The text provided in the website is:

"**The first deadline will remain November 15. However, we are providing a grace period for those applicants who experienced difficulties in working on their application due to Hurricane Sandy. Applicants who submit a completed application by November 26 will still receive their initial notification by February 15, as well as receive priority consideration for merit scholarships and off-site interviews."

I am not sure how would they identify if somebody did actually face difficulty working on the application or not?
Would it be defined by the residential address of the applicant with only those who live in affected areas getting the extension? I am just guessing.
However, it can also be argued that everybody faced difficulties as the website was down.

It totally makes sense to get this clarified from the adcom.

If somebody already has then please post the reply that you have got.

@onechance - I am not sure how "directly affected" would be defined. Can you recollect what exactly did they say?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Send PM
Hi guys,
I've received the email as well.
I am an international applicant so I have not been directly affected by Hurricane Sandy.
However my application was. I was reviewing my essays and I could not have access to Stern website and make sure I was considering that specific class, or make sure I was actually stressing on what I believe the consider as "the key".
I was in contact with a current student and I've received an answer just today.
I think it is reasonable to believe that all R1 applicants "have experienced difficulties in working on their application".
In my opinion the only ones who can consider themselves as "not affected" are:
1) The ones who have already submitted.
2) The ones waiting for recommendation letters
I would have achieved a week ago the same level of consistency I have now.
Juat a thought.
Cheers

Sannuzzo

"We wanted to provide an update on our November 15th Full-time MBA application deadline. The deadline will remain November 15th. However, we are providing a grace period for those applicants who have experienced difficulties in working on their application due to Hurricane Sandy. Therefore, applicants who submit a completed application by Monday, November 26th will still receive their initial notification by February 15th, as well as receive priority consideration for merit scholarships and off-site interviews.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@IndianExpress: That's the clarification I was seeking but did not receive. To me, to you or to any other international applicant, it's clear that we were not "directly affected". However, the thing is still in the grey in my opinion. This is why details are so important; I tried my best to ask the question in the most appropriate manner (without coming across as someone meaning to derive benefit out of a situation that created so much harm to so many people) in order to extract that very level of detail - whether the decision applies to others who may not have been directly affected but been impacted somehow (website being down, current students not able to answer questions since they didn't have power or access to email etc.)

@gtvista: Did they specify how they define 'whoever had troubles'? I told the lady who picked up my call that I am based out of India and whether the 26th deadline applies to me. She answered saying that it doesn't.

@Sannuzzo: I completely agree with all that you have said. However, two things that I'd bring up are:

a) I am also an international applicant but haven't received an email with the intimation of the 'special' deadline (calling it thus since I'm still not sure who it applies to). Others and I, who posted about it, saw the notification on the website.

b) As I mentioned above, that level of detail as to who the 26th deadline applies to is missing. Those 11 extra days can mean a lot to international applicants such as us who were waiting for the website to be back up or to reach out to current students or NY-based alums for more information. For what it's worth, I had written to 4 people at least 3 days before Sandy hit and have heard back from one so far. I have already called the office once and shared my name; so I'm apprehensive about calling again. If any other international applicant feels he can help himself and others fellow internationals by making a call and understanding if the decision truly applies to all applicants, irrespective of geography, three cheers to him!

Wish NYU's communication had a little more clarity.

gtvisa2002 wrote:
Y'all,

I did call the admissions office and asked this speicific question.

It's not only the applicants in that geographic area but whoever had troubles in working on their applications are eligible for the extension.
I hope this helps.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
I have a question for current students at NYU Stern.

Does the Salomon Centre for the study of financial institutions offer projects or other learning opportunities to MBA students? Are the conferences open to students?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
hi guys,

I mailed the Stern regarding the applicability of grace period in my case and listed the following indirect difficulties I faced due to hurricane sandy:

Inability to access online application form due to significant downtime of Stern website.
Inability to research the program and its offerings such as courses, clubs etc. due to non-functional website.
Delay in a call scheduled with a graduate ambassador to get more insights regarding Stern Consulting Corps and Board Fellows program.
Delay in reply from admissions office regarding a question on recommendations.

To this I got the reply "We are providing a grace period for any applicants who experienced difficulties in working on their application due to Hurricane Sandy."

As per the reply I would like to believe I am entitled for a grace period? I believe a lot of us faced similar difficulties... do you guys plan to utilize the grace period?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  40   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts