Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [68]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [15]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [5]
Given Kudos: 549
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [4]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [1]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I got all of them right except Q6. I feel the answer for Q6. should be E not A as from passage - The near extinction of the Javan rhino is the direct result of human actions. For centuries, farmers, who favored the same habitat, viewed them as crop eating pests and shot them on sight. During the colonial period, hunters slaughtered thousands. , we can infer that no two events could be concluded with certainty as most responsible for near extinction. Instead, the cumulative human actions of the past are most responsible for near extinctions of human.

Please post OE if anyone has. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
mba1382 wrote:
I got all of them right except Q6. I feel the answer for Q6. should be E not A as from passage - The near extinction of the Javan rhino is the direct result of human actions. For centuries, farmers, who favored the same habitat, viewed them as crop eating pests and shot them on sight. During the colonial period, hunters slaughtered thousands. , we can infer that no two events could be concluded with certainty as most responsible for near extinction. Instead, the cumulative human actions of the past are most responsible for near extinctions of human.

Please post OE if anyone has. Thanks.

I too opted for E. Could an expert please help explain why A is better than E?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
need some expert to weigh in for question 2.

Refer to below sentences in the passage.
Now, human efforts to save them may well prove futile. The Vietnamese herd is probably doomed, as too few remain to maintain the necessary genetic variation.
futile does mean pointless, but than cant justify the human effort as doomed. The herd is doomed but not human effort

then referring to below lines :

In Indonesia, the rhinos are protected on the Ujung Kulon peninsula, which is unsettled by humans, and still have sufficient genetic diversity to have a chance at survival. Ironically, however, the lack of human disturbance allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation the animals prefer

We can conclude the human effort is ironic, but how can we deduce that its problematic??

Any thoughts?

Same for Question 6. Shouldnt it be E instead?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Mountain14 wrote:
Experts,

How can you infer "B" for Q1?

i think its from the below lines

Very little is known about Javan rhinos because they lead secretive and solitary lives in remote jungles. Until recently, scientists debated whether females even have horns, and most scientific work has had to rely on DNA garnered from dung

It says most scientific work had to rely on DNA from Dung. So probably they have more info on genes than mating patterns. However it requires us to assume something.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
i have some doubts in the above answers, can anybody please solve them ?
in Q2 answers is D, but i think it should be B as futile means pointless and that is exactly given in B.
in Q3 is the answer seriously D. describe the features of the animal?
in Q6 how can the answer be A? i mean there is no data given on which we could conclude that ?

i can still somehow understand why Q3 would be correct as other options are false, but still need help with 2 & 6

thank you :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
adymehta29 wrote:
i have some doubts in the above answers, can anybody please solve them ?
in Q2 answers is D, but i think it should be B as futile means pointless and that is exactly given in B.
in Q3 is the answer seriously D. describe the features of the animal?
in Q6 how can the answer be A? i mean there is no data given on which we could conclude that ?

i can still somehow understand why Q3 would be correct as other options are false, but still need help with 2 & 6

thank you :)

for 2 : In Indonesia, the rhinos are protected on the Ujung Kulon peninsula, which is unsettled by humans, and still have sufficient genetic diversity to have a chance at survival. Ironically, however, the lack of human disturbance allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation the animals prefer.

lack of human disturbance is good for rhinos but it is unsettled by human. thats why only D fits :)

for 6: farmers killed rhinos for centuries but hunter killed merely thousand. so farmers should be most responsible . thats why A :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Which of the following best expresses the author’s attitude toward the likely fate of the Javan Rhino?

A .optimistic about the Indonesian rhino’s long-term survival

B.resigned to the eventual extinction of the species

C.uncertain about the on-going impact of farmers and hunters

D.pessimistic about the species’ chances for survival

E.ambivalent about the long-term outcome for the Javan rhinoceros

Correct answer : D

from the passage : ... The lack of human disturbance, however, allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation preferred by the animals. Human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

From these sentences, I choose A, as the author is optimistic that the conditions are favorable for Rhino population to grow.

Pls help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [3]
Given Kudos: 5542
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For all those who're confused b\w choices B and D in Q2, here's a simple, accurate and GMAT way of eliminating the wrong one:-

Pointless” and “Doomed” are extreme words (i.e. there's 0% chance of any revival), and thus should be avoided in RC answers if not explicitly mentioned or supported.

In the mentioned passage author has no where mentioned about the absolute surety or guarantee of Indonesian rhino's extinction by human's benevolence. Instead, author has used the word "may" many times.

Thanks to Ron, Manhattan Prep, for the insight.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I got 3 wrong (Q1, Q2 and Q6) in 8:30 minutes. A disaster!

However, if I commited two silly mistakes in the first two questions ( in the first one I didn't know the meaning of "mating", so I went for A, but that one is crealry the classic "going too far" answer; in the second Q I chose B even knowing that answers with extreme words are almost never correct), I don't know what is wrong with answer E of question six. I see that the test says " For centuries, farmers, who favored the same habitat, viewed them as crop eating pests and shot them on sight", but it also says that "thousands were slaughtered" during the colonial period.

Any help?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I rejected the choice E because I find last line optimistic rather than pessimistic.

Human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

Writing the below line will make it pessimistic indeed

Human benevolence may prove only little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

The below line is optimistic

Studying for 1 hour daily may bring better results than studying for 7 hours once in a week.

So, according to the last line of the passage, human benevolence is not as detrimental as human maltreatment.

For the same reason I rejected the choice B, last line seems to be optimistic, but choice B seems to be pessimistic.

I finally selected choice C which is too strong to be the right choice. Please help !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
AR15J wrote:
I rejected the choice E because I find last line optimistic rather than pessimistic.

Human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

Human benevolence may prove only little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

Studying for 1 hour daily may bring better results than studying for 7 hours once in a week.

So, according to the last line of the passage, human benevolence is not as detrimental as human maltreatment.

For the same reason I rejected the choice B, last line seems to be optimistic, but choice B seems to be pessimistic.

I finally selected choice C which is too strong to be the right choice. Please help !

You are spot on with E. As For C, you may have missed the fact that poachers are still hunting these rhinos (mentioned in first few sentences).
Now the author tells that the rhino population has been declining rapidly to the point from where it can't be reversed. Option B indirectly states that

Posted from my mobile device

Manager
Manager
Send PM
deep14 wrote:
AR15J wrote:

You are spot on with E. As For C, you may have missed the fact that poachers are still hunting these rhinos (mentioned in first few sentences).
Now the author tells that the rhino population has been declining rapidly to the point from where it can't be reversed. Option B indirectly states that

Can you please point out the line which says that poachers are still hunting? As per my understanding, the passage says that they hunt in the past. No information is given on present hunting. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now the author tells that the rhino population has been declining rapidly to the point from where it can't be reversed.-- The question asked about only the last line, not about the entire passage.
Manager
Manager
Send PM

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Send PM