Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: MGMAT CAT Verbal compared to actual GMAT Verbal? [#permalink]
I too feel that many MGCAT quant questions are lengthy and require too much calculation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
MGMAT is great resource for practice but it's verbal is easier compared with real GMAT. It is not very tough to crack MGMAT's verbal if one has read MGMAT SC book thoroughly. Real GMAT verbal questions are more complex and lengthy. I was coring in 90 percentile and above in MGMAT's practice tests but in Real GMAT I could get 68 percentile only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
Send PM
The mgmat verbal is much easier than the mgmat. Without studying I got v31 and worked my way up to v38 on mgmat. On the real gmat I got v25. The questions were much more difficult especially SC. Mgmat seems to test 1 or two sc concepts in a question (subject verb, parallel, etc...) but on the real test it felt like every question was testing idioms plus verb tense and all the other stuff. I felt very under prepared in verbal after mgmat tests

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Expert Reply
Be careful about how much credence you get to scores on practice exams. The purpose of the practice exams is to show you roughly how you are performing and provide insight into the areas where you most need to improve. The MGMAT CATs are decent approximations of the real GMAT, but they are not the real GMAT. The Verbal section on the MGMAT does a good job testing how well you will perform on the GMAT Verbal (especially as it relates to the lessons taught in the Strategy Guides), but you will notice some differences on SC. The GMAC (the company that administers the GMAT) stated last year that they were making some changes to SC. They said they would be reducing the number of problems that test "Americanized" idioms and increasing those that test meaning. Since those changes are recent and ongoing, it will take time for MGMAT CATs to fully incorporate those GMAT changes. That said, the MGMAT CATs are still remarkable practice and diagnostic tools, just recognize that they are practices and not the main event.

Take GMATPrep exams to get your best approximation of your test ability on the real GMAT. Even on the GMATPrep exams, you should be scoring 20-30 points higher than your goal score to feel comfortable that you will hit your goal score on the actual GMAT.

KW
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts