Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2443 [35]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [8]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [3]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: An examination of corruption provides the basis for rejecting the view [#permalink]
Marcab wrote:
I just hope that I never face such question on the test day. It took me around 4 minutes and I still got it wrong. I say what is wrong with C?

lol... if u see a question like this be happy cause that means u are already in 770 lvl. :D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: An examination of corruption provides the basis for rejecting the view [#permalink]
Kudos
Jp27 wrote:
Marcab wrote:
I just hope that I never face such question on the test day. It took me around 4 minutes and I still got it wrong. I say what is wrong with C?

lol... if u see a question like this be happy cause that means u are already in 770 lvl. :D

I can be even satified with x where doesnt equals 770 and either x=760 or x>770.
:lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Marcab wrote:

Conclusion is : exact science of society can possibly be never constructed. He then gives example of corruption, which he
points out cannot be measured.
So the assumptions is E.- An exact science can be constructed only when the phenomena it studies can be measured.

KUDOS if u like :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I chose B. Such a silly mistake. The question says that corruption makes exact science not possible, and further states that corruption is not measurable because it involves secrecy. If people no longer keep it a secret, then corruption will disappear altogether and question of measurement does not arise.
Therefore, science involves measuring, and if corruption is not measurable, science related to that is not possible.
However, primary purpose is not measurement. Measurement is a very vital part of science without which science cannot happen.

Further, A - some people believe - too vague
C - first, it can be an inference. and secondly, it is not an hidden assumption - it is given in the question.
D - it can be an inference but not an assumption.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 746
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Strategy
Schools: Desautels '23
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
An examination of corruption provides the basis for rejecting the view [#permalink]
gmatbull wrote:
An examination of corruption provides the basis for rejecting the view that an exact science of society can ever be constructed. As with all other social phenomena that involve deliberate secrecy, it is intrinsically impossible to measure corruption, and this is not merely due to the fact that social science has not yet reached its goal, achievable to be sure, of developing adequate quantifying techniques. If people were ready to answer question about their embezzlements and bribes, it would mean that these practices had acquired the character of legitimate, taxable activities and had ceased to be corrupt. In other words, corruption must disappear if it is to be measurable.

Which one of the following most accurately states a hidden assumption that the author must make in order to advance the argument above?

(A) Some people believe that an exact science of society can be constructed.

(B) The primary purpose of an exact science to quantify and measure phenomena.

(C) An intrinsic characteristic of social phenomena that involve deliberate secrecy is that they cannot be measured.

(D) An exact science of social phenomena that involve deliberate secrecy cannot be constructed.

(E) An exact science can be constructed only when the phenomena it studies can be measured.

What is the issue with D?

CONCLUSION: An examination of corruption provides the basis for rejecting the view that an exact science of society can ever be constructed. WHY?
Because as with ALL OTHER social phenomena that involve deliberate secrecy, it is intrinsically IMPOSSIBLE TO MEASURE corruption.

Hence, our goal is to find the Assumption, which (i) CONNECTS the impossibility of measuring phenomena studied TO the impossibility of constructing an exact science and (ii) MUST BE TRUE so that the conclusion holds.
(A) Some people believe that an exact science of society can be constructed.
We don't care about what some people believe. Eliminate (A).

(B) The primary purpose of an exact science is to quantify and measure phenomena.
This is tempting. But if we negate (B), it becomes: The PRIMARY purpose of an exact science is NOT to quantify and measure phenomenon. But if so, the ability to measure phenomena CAN BE a NECESSARY requirements for something to become an "exact science". Negation of (B) does not break the conclusion. Eliminate (B).

(C) An intrinsic characteristic of social phenomena that involve deliberate secrecy is that they cannot be measured.
This is just a re-statement of a premise. Eliminate (C).

(D) An exact science of social phenomena that involve deliberate secrecy cannot be constructed.
This is a slight re-statement of THE CONCLUSION. But we are finding the ASSUMPTION so that the conclusion holds. Eliminate (D).

(E) An exact science can be constructed ONLY WHEN the phenomena it studies can be measured.
Notice "ONLY WHEN". So if phenomena studied CAN NOT be measured, the exact science CAN NOT be constructed. (E) successfully does 2 things:
(i) it connects the impossibility of measuring phenomena to the impossibility of constructing an exact science.
(ii) it must be true for the conclusion to hold. If we negate (E), it becomes: An exact science can be constructed NOT ONLY when the phenomena it studies can be measured. This would break the conclusion: if we can construct an exact science even when we can not measure the phenomena studied, we can not say that because we can not measure social phenomena like corruption, we can not construct an exact science.

Hence, (E) is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep

If I negate A, it becomes, some people do not believe that an exact science of society can be constructed.

Conclusion is :
An examination of corruption provides the basis for rejecting the view that an exact science of society can ever be constructed.

Analysis : If such a view doesn't exists (as negated version of option A mentions) wont be weaken the conclusion
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep

If I negate A, it becomes, some people do not believe that an exact science of society can be constructed.

Conclusion is :
An examination of corruption provides the basis for rejecting the view that an exact science of society can ever be constructed.

Analysis : If such a view doesn't exists (as negated version of option A mentions) wont be weaken the conclusion

Here's the correct negation of (A).

No people believe that an exact science of society can be constructed.

The author is providing evidence for rejecting the view that an exact science of society can ever be constructed. The author is not assuming that anyone has that view. After all, the author does not have to assume that anyone has that view in order to show why it's incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
An examination of corruption provides the basis for rejecting the view [#permalink]
I have a question/confusion in the 1st line of the statement :

"An examination of corruption provides the basis for rejecting the view that an exact science of society can ever be constructed"

Using the word "rejecting" 1st sentence doesn't mean as follow?:

An examination of corruption provides the basis that an exact science of society can indeed be constructed.

Expert kindly help
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64892 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos