Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Algebrax   Inequalitiesx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [444]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-19-2013
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618698 [269]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [88]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32865 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: If r and s are the roots of the equation x^2 + bx + c = 0 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
If r and s are the roots of the equation x^2+bx+c=0, where b and c are constants, is rs<0?

Viete's theorem states that for the roots \(x_1\) and \(x_2\) of a quadratic equation \(ax^2+bx+c=0\):

\(x_1+x_2=\frac{-b}{a}\) AND \(x_1*x_2=\frac{c}{a}\).

Thus according to the above \(rs=\frac{c}{1}=\). So, we are basically asked whether \(c<0\).

(1) b<0. Not sufficient.
(2) c<0. Directly answers the question. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it helps.

This question drove me insane because I didn't really catch the meaning and reasoning. First of all is not mentioned in MGAMT guide, neither in the 5th edition (a copy of the 4th edition) of algebra guide, only in Gmatclub math book a found a reference.

Now from Bunuel I read Viete's theorem.........:(

Indeed also this approach is quite simple

Quote:
If c is positive, then the factors you're looking for are either both positive or else both negative.
If b is positive, then the factors are positive
If b is negative, then the factors are negative.
In either case, you're looking for factors that add to b.

If c is negative, then the factors you're looking for are of alternating signs;
that is, one is negative and one is positive.
If b is positive, then the larger factor is positive.
If b is negative, then the larger factor is negative.
In either case, you're looking for factors that are b units apart.

https://www.purplemath.com/modules/factquad.htm

Could someone tell me if it is an important, really importante question, or negligible ???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
If r and s are the roots of the equation x^2+bx+c=0, where b and c are constants, is rs<0?

Viete's theorem states that for the roots \(x_1\) and \(x_2\) of a quadratic equation \(ax^2+bx+c=0\):

Thus according to the above \(rs=\frac{c}{1}=c\). So, we are basically asked whether \(c<0\).

(1) b<0. Not sufficient.

Hope it helps.

I actually solved for the discriminant and it ended up taking 3+ minutes. I don't see Viete's theorem in the MGMAT books so please bare with me. I did a search and it basically states that the sum of the two roots is \(\frac{-b}{a}\), and the product of the two roots is \(\frac{c}{a}\), correct?

So using that explanation, it means that since we are looking for the sign of the products of the roots, we need to find the value of \(\frac{c}{a}\) and therefore, \(\frac{(x_1 * x_2)}{a}\). Correct? We aren't given any information about a so how can we assume whether a is positive or negative?

EDIT: Are there similar problems that I can apply this theorem to? Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618698 [19]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Thus according to the above \(rs=\frac{c}{1}=c\). So, we are basically asked whether \(c<0\).

(1) b<0. Not sufficient.

Hope it helps.

I actually solved for the discriminant and it ended up taking 3+ minutes. I don't see Viete's theorem in the MGMAT books so please bare with me. I did a search and it basically states that the sum of the two roots is \(\frac{-b}{a}\), and the product of the two roots is \(\frac{c}{a}\), correct?

So using that explanation, it means that since we are looking for the sign of the products of the roots, we need to find the value of \(\frac{c}{a}\) and therefore, \(\frac{(x_1 * x_2)}{a}\). Correct? We aren't given any information about a so how can we assume whether a is positive or negative?

EDIT: Are there similar problems that I can apply this theorem to? Thanks!

\(a\) there is the coefficient of \(x^2\) (\(ax^2+bx+c=0\)), hence for \(x^2+bx+c=0\) it equals to 1 (\(1*x^2+bx+c=0\)).

Questions involving Viete's theorem to practice:
in-the-equation-x-2-bx-12-0-x-is-a-variable-and-b-is-a-109771.html
if-x-2-3-is-one-factor-of-the-equation-x-2-4-3-x-160524.html
if-x-2-12x-k-0-is-x-155465.html
in-the-equation-ax-2-bx-c-0-a-b-and-c-are-constants-148766.html
new-algebra-set-149349-80.html#p1200987
if-q-is-one-root-of-the-equation-x-2-18x-11c-0-where-141199.html
if-f-x-5x-2-and-g-x-x-2-12x-85-what-is-the-sum-of-all-85989.html
if-4-is-one-solution-of-the-equation-x2-3x-k-10-where-139119.html
john-and-jane-started-solving-a-quadratic-equation-john-mad-106597.html

Theory on Algebra: algebra-101576.html

DS Algebra Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=29
PS Algebra Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=50

Special algebra set: new-algebra-set-149349.html

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi guys,

I couldn't solve the question as I tried to apply the determinant formula of square root (-b +- 4ac), which gave me multiple scenarios. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the Viete's theorem.

Can this question nevertheless be solved based on the above determinant formula?

Thanks!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [6]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
bgpower wrote:
Hi guys,

I couldn't solve the question as I tried to apply the determinant formula of square root (-b +- 4ac), which gave me multiple scenarios. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the Viete's theorem.

Can this question nevertheless be solved based on the above determinant formula?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

You don't need to know about the Vieta's formula to solve this quadratic equation (if you know, it does save you time :) ). This question can be solved by using the basic application of concepts of quadratic equation.

Let's understand this with an example. Assume a quadratic equation \(x^2 - 8x + 15 =0.\)
We can factorize this as \((x - 5) ( x - 3) = 0\) which will give us the roots as \(x = 5\) and \(x = 3\). We observe here that if 5 and 3 are the roots of a quadratic equation, we can write the equation as \((x -5) ( x-3) = 0\)

Similarly, if r and s are the roots of a quadratic equation, we can write the equation as \((x -r ) ( x - s) = 0\).
So, \((x -r ) ( x - s) = x^2 + bx + c.\)
We can simplify this to \(-x (r +s) + rs = bx + c\). Equation the coefficients we get \(rs = c.\)

So, the question is in effect asking us about the sign of c, which is given by st-II.

Please note that in this case the coefficient of \(x^2\) is 1 which gives us \(rs = c\) and \((r+s) = -b\). Had the coefficient been any other number, lets assume 'a', we would first have to divide the original equation by 'a' to get the coefficient of \(x^2\) as 1.

This would have given us \(rs = \frac{c}{a}\) and \((r+s) = \frac{-b}{a}\) which is what the Vieta's formula tells us :)

Takeaway
Each question can be solved if you know the application of basic concepts the question is checking.

Hope it helps!

Regards
Harsh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29902 [7]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
asveaass wrote:
If r and s are the roots of the equation x² + bx + c = 0, where b and c are constants, is rs < 0 ?

(1) b < 0
(2) c < 0

Let's first examine the relationship between the roots of an equation and the given equation. Here are some examples:

Example #1: x² - 5x + 6 = 0
We can rewrite this as x² + (-5x) + 6 = 0 [to make it look like the given equation x² + bx + c = 0]
So, b = -5 and c = 6
To solve the equation, we'll factor to get: (x - 3)(x - 2) = 0
So, the ROOTS of the equation are x = 2 and x = 3
NOTICE that the sum of the roots equals -b, and notice that the product of the roots = c

Example #2: x² + 6x - 7 = 0
We can rewrite this as x² + 6x + (-7) = 0 [to make it look like the given equation x² + bx + c = 0]
So, b = 6 and c = -7
To solve the equation, we'll factor to get: (x + 7)(x - 1) = 0
So, the ROOTS of the equation are x = -7 and x = 1
NOTICE that the sum of the roots equals -b, and notice that the product of the roots = c

We could keep going with more examples, but the big takeaway is as follows:
If r and s are the roots of the equation x² + bx + c = 0, then r + s = -b, and rs = c

Okay, now onto the question....

Target question: Is rs < 0?

Given: r and s are the roots of the equation x² + bx + c = 0

Statement 1: b < 0
This means that b is NEGATIVE, which also means that -b is POSITIVE
From our conclusions above, we saw that r + s = -b
So, we can now conclude that r + s = some POSITIVE VALUE.
Is this enough info to determine whether rs < 0?
NO.
Consider these two conflicting cases:
Case a: r = -1 and s = 2 (here r + s = some positive value), in which case rs < 0
Case b: r = 1 and s = 2 (here r + s = some positive value), in which case rs > 0
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: c < 0
From our conclusions above, we saw that rs = c
Now, statement 2 tells us that c is negative.
So, it MUST be the case that rs < 0
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer = B

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 16 Aug 2016, 15:59.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 04 Jul 2020, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Let's talk strategy here. Many explanations of Quantitative questions focus blindly on the math, but remember: the GMAT is a critical-thinking test. For those of you studying for the GMAT, you will want to internalize strategies that actually minimize the amount of math that needs to be done, making it easier to manage your time. The tactics I will show you here will be useful for numerous questions, not just this one. My solution is going to walk through not just what the answer is, but how to strategically think about it. Ready? Here is the full “GMAT Jujitsu” for this question:

First, this problem requires you to understand positive/negative rules. When adding two numbers together,
(+) + (+) = (+)
(-) + (-) = (-)
(+) + (+) = ???
When multiplying two numbers together,
(+) * (+) = (+)
(+) * (-) = (-)
(-) * (-) = (+)

Next, let’s talk terminology. When a problem refers to the “roots” of a quadratic equation containing \(x\), it is talking about the possible numerical solutions for \(x\). In this context, the term “root” is completely synonymous with the term “solution.” The solutions of quadratics can often be calculated by breaking down the quadratic into its linear components such that

\(x^2+bx+c=0\)

becomes \((x+\underline{\hspace{2em}})(x+ \underline{\hspace{2em}})=0\)

You fill in the blanks here by looking at the pairs of factors of \(c\) (called “complementary factors”) that when multiplied together equals \(c\), but when added together they equal \(b\). Of course, if you need to actually solve for the values, it is important to realize that the solutions (or roots) of the equation are going to be the negatives of these factors. (Think about it, if \((x+4)=0\), then \(x\) must be \(-4\).)

Now that we have the basic rules, down, let’s focus on tactics. This is a “Yes/No” question – a very common structure for Data Sufficiency problems. The fundamental trap for problems like these is to bait you into thinking that you actually need to solve for every value. You don’t. As soon as you have enough information to conclude that a statement is either sufficient or insufficient, you can move on. For “Yes/No” questions, if you can think of two situations (or two variable inputs) that are consistent with all of the problem’s constraints but come up with different answers to the question, you know a statement is insufficient. In my classes, I call this strategy “Play Both Sides.” The problem asks us, “is \(rs < 0\)?” – in other words, “when you multiply the two solutions to a quadratic equation, do you get a negative number?” We can start to anticipate how we are going to “Play Both Sides.” Using the positive/negative rules we showed above, the answer to this question is “Yes” if one of the solutions is positive and the other is negative. The answer is “No” if either both solutions are positive or both solutions are negative.

Statement #1 tells us that \(b\) is negative. There are a couple of ways this could happen: (1) the complementary factors of \(c\) could be both negative, in which case \(r\) and \(s\) are both positive, or (2) one complementary factor of \(c\) is positive and the other is negative (so long as the negative factor is larger in magnitude than the positive factor.) This would mean that we would have one negative solution and one positive one. Since the first possibility gives us a “No” answer to the question while the second option gives us a “Yes” answer, Statement #1 is not sufficient.

Statement #2 tells us that \(c\) is negative. There is only one possible way this could happen: one complementary factor of \(c\) is positive and the other is negative. You can only get a negative product if one factor is positive and one is negative. The roots would mirror this. So, Statement #2 can only give us a “Yes” answer to the Yes/No question. Since we have only one answer, it is sufficient.

The answer is “B”.

Now, let’s look back at this problem through the lens of strategy. This question can teach us patterns seen throughout the GMAT. Notice that this problem is much more about logic and critical-thinking than it is about math. With “Yes/No” questions involving positive/negative rules, a great tactic that you can often use is to focus conceptually on the +/- possibilities, using very basic rules. If multiple answers are possible using those rules, you can “Play Both Sides” and disprove sufficiency. On the other hand, if there is only one answer to the Yes/No question, then you proved sufficiency. If you can analyze the problems conceptually, the actual math involved is often minimal, and you don’t even need to solve for specific values. And that is how you think like the GMAT.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22043 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
asveaass wrote:
If r and s are the roots of the equation x^2 + bx + c = 0, where b and c are constants, is rs < 0 ?

(1) b < 0
(2) c < 0

Solution:

Question Stem Analysis:

We need to determine whether rs < 0 given that r and s are the roots of the equation x^2 + bx + c = 0. Recall that for any quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0 where a ≠ 0, the product of the two roots is c/a. Since here a = 1 and r and s are the roots, rs = c/1 = c. Therefore, if we know c is negative, then rs < 0.

Statement One Alone:

Since we don’t know anything about the value c, statement one is not sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

Since c < 0, rs < 0. Statement two is sufficient.

Answer: B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13386 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
asveaass wrote:
If r and s are the roots of the equation x^2 + bx + c = 0, where b and c are constants, is rs < 0 ?

(1) b < 0
(2) c < 0

Solve the Official Questions more productively

Click here as Timed Sectional Tests with Video solutions of each question
Also explore Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option B

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
Whenever I encounter a question on Quadratic equations, the first thing I do is to compare the given equation to the standard form of a Quadratic equation viz., a\(x^2\) + bx + c = 0 and write down the values of a, b and c for the given equation.

The given equation is \(x^2\) + bx + c = 0. Comparing with the standard form, a = 1, b = b and c = c.
In its standard form, the sum of the roots of a quadratic equation = -b/a and product of the roots = c/a

Therefore, for the given equation, sum of roots = r + s = -b and product of roots = rs = c, since the question clearly says that r and s are the roots of the equation.
It turns out that rs is the product of the roots of the equation. Therefore, we can rephrase the question stem now to make it “Is c<0?”

From statement I alone, b<0. This is insufficient to say if c<0 since the sum of two numbers could be negative but their product could be ≥ 0.
Statement I alone is insufficient. Answer options A and D can be eliminated.

From statement II alone, c<0. This answers the question directly with a YES.
Statement II alone is sufficient. Answer options C and E can be eliminated.

The correct answer option is B.

Hope that helps!
Aravind BT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM