Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [24]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: Board member: We are excited to announce that the Galaxy [#permalink]
Got it.... Two of the major cell manufacturers might be too week as there are only two out of XY that actually add the exclusivity feature.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32864 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
E with doubt in 50 secs

Is the only answer that makes the stimulus a bit more true
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1546 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Choice E is the answer. Remember, we only need to increase the revenues, not profit. Although the competitor of Galaxy company sell the accessories with lower price. Publishing new exclusively accessories with discounted price will help it regain the market share from their competitors, increasing revenues.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Straight E.

Simply out, none of the other answer choices speak to why the new phones will increase profits. Not sure this a 700-level question.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Bookmarks
Nothing in the passage mentions anything about "growth" over the "next 5 years". The claim in the passage is that revenues will go up...we know they are projected to go up ...but we do not know they are projected to go up specifically over the next 5 years.

(C) simply elaborates on revenue projection going up....simply elaborating on the time frame. It is not something that SUPPORTS the claim and explains why revenues are going to go up.

(E) answers the challenge question. "How do we know that revenues are going to go up?" Because (E) mentions the exclusive feature ...this will force the Galaxy phone buyers to buy Galaxy accessories...they cannot buy the cheaper "universal" accessories - it's no longer an option. Since consumers are buying Galaxy accessories and NOT other universal accessories (and also encouraged to do so because of the "discounted" price) then the revenue is going to increase from more Galaxy accessory sales....where previous customers may have bought universal accessories, they now are buying Galaxy accessories.

If that is true, this is a statement that supports the higher revenue projections for Galaxy. Thus (E) is the better answer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2330 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
miura wrote:
Board member: We are excited to announce that the Galaxy cell phone has been voted the most reliable for the second year in a row. I would now like to intriduce the new Galaxy II cell phone, which will surely increase revenues for our cellular company. Although our phones are currently the most popular on the market, we have consistently generated more revenue from cell phone accessories, such as chargers, batteries, and headsets, than we have from phone sales. To ensure the continuation and increase in the revenues, despite the introduction of our competitor's low price "universal" accessories, which work with all cell phones, we have added a new "exclusivity" feature to all of our new phones. This will prevent the phone from operating with any non-Galaxy accessories or batteries.

Which of the following if true, most strongly supports the projection that the new Galaxy II phones will lead to an increase in revenues?

A) Two of the major cell phone manufacturers have announced that they will also equip their new phones with an exclusivity feature.

B) One of the main reasons for Galaxy's leading position is that it offers consistently lower prices on cell phones.

C) Annual sales of cell phones have been increasing and are projected to continue to increase over the next five years.

D) The universal accessories found on the market are manufactured by a subsidiary of Universe Cellular, the second largest cell phone manufacturer.

E) The new Galaxy II cell phone offers several exclusive, new features as well as the smallest size and lightest weight of any phone to be introduced this year, at a substantially discounted price.

OA is E)

Does not make much sense to me... as the major revenue is generated by accessories...?

Source is Kaplan

The question is such a poor construction with so many visible errors that on first reading I thought that it must be a question by one of the local second-class test prep companies. I was surprised to know that it is from Kaplan.

Even the options are very poorly constructed. However, let's ignore this part for the sake of this discussion.

It is, I think, quite clear that only option C and E can qualify to be the answers.

option C: Annual sales of cell phones have been increasing and are projected to continue to increase over the next five years.
Option E: The new Galaxy II cell phone offers several exclusive, new features as well as the smallest size and lightest weight of any phone to be introduced this year, at a substantially discounted price.

Actually, as I can see that combining the two options would almost ensure that the revenues increase. Just one of these can't ensure revenues to rise. However, our objective is not to find the option which ensure the increase in revenues; our objective is to find one which most strongly leads to increase in revenues.

Thus, we need to find the more important or stronger of these two options. This is actually difficult.
If I say option C is stronger, then one may argue "what if the phone is not good?". Obviously if the phone is poor, it will not lead to increase in revenues. So, for option C to lead to increase in revenues, I'll need to make an assumption about the quality of phone.
If I say option E is stronger, then one may argue "what if the annual sales of cell phone (industry) are falling almost 20% (or 40%) each year". In that case also, it may not lead to increase in revenues. Thus, for option E to lead to increase in revenues, I'll need to make an assumption about industry growth.

So, it's a close call.

I go with option E since I think making an assumption that the industry is not facing falling revenues is more palatable to me than making an assumption about the quality of phone vis-a-vis competitors.

Regards,
CJ
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi folks,

The plan here is to increase revenues by forcing Galaxy owners to buy only officially sanctioned, "exclusive" compatible accessories. The problem with this plan? People might run for the hills! In fact, it could backfire--people who buy non-Galaxy phones will no longer be able to use Galaxy add-ons!

So, what would make this plan more likely to succeed? We need to know if people will buy the new Galaxy II phone, and therefore be "locked in" to purchasing Galaxy accessories. And if (E) is true, then Galaxy is the best and cheapest phone on the market--it is sure to sell, and thus, so are its accessories. (E) is therefore the correct answer, as it clearly strengthens the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Schools: IE
GPA: 1
Send PM
What is wrong with B. Answer B claims that Galaxy's leading position is because they sell phones at a lower price, yet E claims they sell at a substantially discounted price but not the lowest price.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
E clearly mentions the reason why GalaxyII phonw will result in success

E) The new Galaxy II cell phone offers several exclusive, new features as well as the smallest size and lightest weight of any phone to be introduced this year, at a substantially discounted price.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
miura wrote:
Board member: We are excited to announce that the Galaxy cell phone has been voted the most reliable for the second year in a row. I would now like to intriduce the new Galaxy II cell phone, which will surely increase revenues for our cellular company. Although our phones are currently the most popular on the market, we have consistently generated more revenue from cell phone accessories, such as chargers, batteries, and headsets, than we have from phone sales. To ensure the continuation and increase in the revenues, despite the introduction of our competitor's low price "universal" accessories, which work with all cell phones, we have added a new "exclusivity" feature to all of our new phones. This will prevent the phone from operating with any non-Galaxy accessories or batteries.

Which of the following if true, most strongly supports the projection that the new Galaxy II phones will lead to an increase in revenues?

A) Two of the major cell phone manufacturers have announced that they will also equip their new phones with an exclusivity feature.

B) One of the main reasons for Galaxy's leading position is that it offers consistently lower prices on cell phones.

C) Annual sales of cell phones have been increasing and are projected to continue to increase over the next five years.

D) The universal accessories found on the market are manufactured by a subsidiary of Universe Cellular, the second largest cell phone manufacturer.

HI,
How will mentioned features in E, lead to increase in sales, and therefore, to increase in revenue ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
miura wrote:
How did you get E? The main revenue is generated by accessories, so it should somehow relate to this? Is E not somehow out of scope? Please explain

hi i can answer your question

yes the main revenue is generated by accessories which is at danger because of universal products. so they are planning exclusivity for new phones which does not allow the use of universal products there by protecting the main revenue but for this to be true the cell phones must be sold even with its exclusivity . so we need an answer that shows how the cellphones can be sold higher than before even with exclusivity

hope you understand
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts