Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: Got fired from my job before Round 2 applications [#permalink]
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Your profile looks great, so keep your chin up and things will work out! Are you still waiting to hear back from any R1 schools?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
I don't think you have to worry about your candidacy. But I'm actually more concerned about why you got laid off. Are you saying that the main reason you got fired is because your boss found out you were applying to school? that's a really crappy thing to do, and while it's not discrimination according to any sort of act like the Civil Rights Act, I feel there's something morally wrong if that is the reason why you got laid off.

The best vengeance will be for you to get your MBA, go to a rival company, and then beat your old company in a deal fair and square.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yeah dude. I totally agree with Ward. Like everyone else pointed out, for your Bschool application this will have no negative affect at all, so no worries there. But it's very strange that a company with which you had been for four GOOD years would fire you just like that. I mean, they should on the contrary be happy for you (I mean personally) that you want to move on, and be willing and happy to help. It's also not as if you are leaving after a few months. You did along time there, and whether you decide to move on or not should at least be respected, even if it's not towards their benefit....
Weird...

It makes me wonder though (and I have no basis for this at all, but just knowing people and stuff) perhaps they have an ulterior motive for firing you and are just using the B-school thing as an excuse? I mean if I saw one of my guys or gals wanted to leave, I wouldn't fire them if I thought they were great workers, but try to entice them to stay...

Strange...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi everyone. Thank you so much for the support. Reading your posts has really lifted my spirits and I've been in a slump for a while now.

Cheetarah - thank you for sharing your experiences and those of your friends. I've been following your blog and mbaover30 for some time now. Reading about your experiences in LEAD, Halloween, and general school life has pushed Booth to the top of my list.

Tzeen - thanks for your advice. I am heavily involved in a non-profit I helped start that's been keeping me going through this layoff. Can't do any world traveling tho unless I want to give up unemployment benefits.

Knik - thank you but I didn't get into H or W for R1

Ward and Jon - thank you for your words of advice. There has always been tension between me and my senior manager. While I have a great relationship with my direct managers, I was disappointed they did not back me up when they were considering layoffs. My own mentor/guardian at the firm also left only a few months ago so I didn't truly have anyone pulling for me. I would also say there is some racism but there is nothing I can substantiate. PM me if you want to talk about that more, but I don't want to put it on this board.

Thanks again everyone.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
You may also want to consider adding CBS to your target schools since with rolling admissions they'd probably render your decision before any of your R2 schools. I know it wouldn't affect your matriculation timeline but at least in my experience knowing you could potentially hear back in a couple months (as opposed to March 2013) can work wonders on the 'ol blood pressure. Besides that, just focus your anxiety into crafting some killer applications. Best of luck - when you do get in somewhere you'll have an interesting story to tell!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
You will be ok for round 2 applications. If you get an offer am sure they will be ok with it. As by then you can go travelling for a few months before starting the MBA anyway. So the employment gap shouldn't hurt as long as you get a place on your round 2 application.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
I am very sorry that this situation had to unfold during the already stressful business school application period. However, you can breath a bit easier knowing that your termination will not impact your chances of getting into a top program at all. If one thing that the 2008-current global recession has taught business school admissions is that good candidates come with all types of employment statuses and situations. I have seen unemployed candidates get into Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia and other peer group schools. Also, with the workforce and workplace so turbulent now, people are continually losing their jobs so periods of unemployment are much more common than you think.

Instead of worrying about this situation, focus your energies on getting a new position and getting into a graduate school of your choice.

Good luck

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
GMAT Club Bot