Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
pacificislander wrote:
bestmidwest wrote:
congrats on a good interview. when you say it was just a formality what do you mean? do u think that connections and calls help that much? how do y'all know when to make calls or risk annoying the adcom?

I had pretty senior people do it, and they told me the interview would be a formality and they would get me in. so lucked out in the process it seems. thanks for support.

Awesome, congrats then! Our chances just went down ever so slightly! :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
pacificislander wrote:
bestmidwest wrote:
congrats on a good interview. when you say it was just a formality what do you mean? do u think that connections and calls help that much? how do y'all know when to make calls or risk annoying the adcom?

I had pretty senior people do it, and they told me the interview would be a formality and they would get me in. so lucked out in the process it seems. thanks for support.

:shock: Are you related to someone famous, or have some other connection?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Kudos
huntzman wrote:
pacificislander wrote:
bestmidwest wrote:

:shock: Are you related to someone famous, or have some other connection?

C'mon guys. Bit of scepticism on this one.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0[/youtube]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 838 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Haha, that's what I thought. Let's say you have those amazing connections into HBS. Why would you go on the internet and let everyone know that you are gaming the system? Either you are a first rate, arrogant d*** that will give HBS a bad reputation in the future or you are just having fun spilling lies on the internet. In any case, I think schools these days try to make an effort to keep legacy and nepotistic admissions more to a minimum, although arguably there will always be people that can game the system.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
astatin wrote:
Just wondering, any HBS 2+2 candidates here?

I am applying in R2 for 2+2-not done my gmat as yet getting the essays together-is it a good time to apply-looks like it's a bleak year for B schools-or am i wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
lilchamp87 wrote:
astatin wrote:
Just wondering, any HBS 2+2 candidates here?

I am applying in R2 for 2+2-not done my gmat as yet getting the essays together-is it a good time to apply-looks like it's a bleak year for B schools-or am i wrong?

BTW is there any round that's more advantageous to apply in? or is everyone gonna have the same chances?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Quote:

How Not To Blow Your HBS Interveiw, worthwhile article in Poets and Quants
https://poetsandquants.com/2012/10/17/ho ... terview-2/

How does one interpret anything from the interview? At least in my experience (on campus), it was relatively straightforward (no curveballs), and the interviewers were SUPER nice. Seems like she was able to get through all the questions and asked me in the end whether I had any expected questions.

As noted in article above the interview mostly DINGS people, HBS uses it to filter out people who 1. cannot speak English, 2. who would not be a productive member of case method discussion, a more subjective category, which usually means that you gave canned or insincere answers in the interview. When Dee gives feedback to dinged candidates, it is almost always the INTERVIEW that she mentions. Her typical remarks are, We did not feel you were in the moment, answers seemed scripted, etc. or words to that effect. If you think you did well in the interview, you probably did, unless you were self-delusional, most people know when they screw up the HBS interview (but not all). They take 6 out of 10 peeps interview (1000 out of 1800).
About 2 out of 10 screw up the interview in some way, the rest become real tuff judgment calls bases on class mix, country and gender mix, how you do vs. your cohort (consultants), need for science and manufacturing types vs. finance types, etc. With rare cases of admits with pull, etc. (rec later by powerful donor, alum, hiring partner) legacy (does not count much by itself) etc. Often real, real subjective brew Ms Leopold has to manage, and you would not want to press her on last admit fr. each category vs. first ding fr. same category, what are the diffs?? Nor could you expllain that either in any compelling case if you were she.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Ugh - this is such a horrible time... the agonizing wait. I interviewed almost a month ago and it's so easy to replay that interview over and over again wishing I used a stronger example here or there. Alas, no going back. Only keeping my fingers crossed for a positive decision in December.

Sandy - your response above is helpful to put that into perspective. The interview is less about getting yourself in, it's more about not getting cut.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [7]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
@HBSguru.... love your direct style, your track record and approach...

but sometimes reading your posts, and blogs, and edits... I sometimes wonder how you ever passed 5th grade....

(hoping not to start a flammatory thread... but I dont know what others think)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Dear Harvard Business School,

Once you've rejected me, it kind of adds insult to injury when I'm still on your Google AdWords remarketing campaign.

Getting sick of seeing HBS ads everywhere I go on the web!

Cheers,
That girl you rejected in round 1

;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
esdykes wrote:
Ugh - this is such a horrible time... the agonizing wait. I interviewed almost a month ago and it's so easy to replay that interview over and over again wishing I used a stronger example here or there. Alas, no going back. Only keeping my fingers crossed for a positive decision in December.

Sandy - your response above is helpful to put that into perspective. The interview is less about getting yourself in, it's more about not getting cut.

This wait is slowly killing me. The next three weeks are going to pass by so slowly. How are you all dealing with the anxiety?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
schroedes wrote:
esdykes wrote:

This wait is slowly killing me. The next three weeks are going to pass by so slowly. How are you all dealing with the anxiety?

Totally agreed - it is actually very painful. Feel like we should just sleep for the next 3 weeks and wake up on 12/12... :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q164 V165
GPA: 3.74
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
Anyone else interview in California?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.79
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Random question, but did anyone who interviewed receive a response to their thank you note from their interviewer? Am not talking about the post-interview reflection obviously..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ja42785 wrote:
Random question, but did anyone who interviewed receive a response to their thank you note from their interviewer? Am not talking about the post-interview reflection obviously..

I dont think we are supposed to. They gave us a generic email to reply to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
daltcap wrote:
Anyone else interview in California?

I did interview in CA. Did anyone else get Dee's email about what to expect next?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I treated the reflection itself as the thank you note to my interviewer.

Did you all send a thank you note to the generic email provided in addition to the reflection?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts