Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Queens Full time MBA Vs other canadian schoos -need insights [#permalink]
maroliv12 wrote:
wayahead123 wrote:

With my little research, i have learned that Rotman is sometimes too hyped (i could be wrong).

Even i have seen the approach of the school that they are probably getting too much inclined to high GMAT only. I think in the quest of getting people with high GMAT only, the school ends up with engineers from India with great GMAT (just my opinion, not personal to anyone)

I have interacted with alums of Ivey, Queens and Rotman, i found the alums of Queens and Ivey much more matured.

Do you guys think Rotman is better for entry level finance jobs only

Again, my comments are just based on my research and not personal to anyone

Thanks

You are spot on with your gmat observation. For awhile, Ivey had the highest stats in terms of GMAT and undergrad GPA. I believe not too long ago, Rotman and Schulich's average GMAT was 650 where Ivey was around 670-680. Both schools took a much more stats-based approach to recruitment to compete, and as such have a lot of Chinese and Indian international students. Schulich especially. Ivey does not weight GMAT more than other aspects. For Ivey, having a polished manner of speech is equally as important. I know someone here who had a GMAT in the 500's and she's got an offer from RBC wealth management, so it's not a barrier once you're in. Rotman is a little hyped now because they had a superstar dean who elevated the school to the top tier within 10 years. If you're not going for specifically capital markets finance, you'll be fine at either Schulich or Queens as well. I would probably rather go to Queens than Schulich because Queens has a tighter student body and isn't on a campus that has a reported rape every few months.

Thanks, I am not on sheer technical side of finance.

I have been into wealth management roles and business development roles in Insurance - both life and general.

Do you think future in these roles is heavily dominated by ivey/rotman only (especially in toronto)

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
when you graduate doesn't matter. where you are in the program in relation to the big hiring season in October makes a difference. You've only completed 5 months of the program by the time recruitment rolls around in October at Ivey, so you're on the back foot in technical terms. They usually take that into consideration though. The Toronto vs outside debate is a good one. I networked in Toronto a lot and it wasn't pleasant to drive all the way up and back to London multiple times a week, that's for sure.

As far as wealth management roles, Rotman tends to take most of those but it's not as competitive as i-banking in general, so you're definitely in with a shot from Schulich or Queens. You'd be fine for BD in any of the schools.

wayahead123 wrote:
One more perspective and i am sure you guys can contribute a lot on the same

Location of the School

1) People suggest that the closer you are to the Toronto (especially from financial services point of view) , the better it is. I am sure that this is truth, but is it so true that one has to consider this aspect heavily while choosing school ? I mean queens is far from Toronto in that case, so is ivey.

2) Timing of degree completion - does it make difference if you pass out from the school during certain phase of the year e.g. does it help to pass out early (May month in case queens) ? because Rotman and Schulich guys pass out generally in Aug / Sep ?

In short , does canadian employer a set pattern in recruiting people ?

Thanks again for your quality inputs
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I had a fear and that turns out to be true :), I received an admit from Schulich for fall 2013

Any more insights ?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 12-04-2012
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congratulations for your admit wayahead123 :).
What's your academic profile ? are you planning to do a full time or part-time?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Nikki1357 wrote:
Congratulations for your admit wayahead123 :).
What's your academic profile ? are you planning to do a full time or part-time?

Thanks

Am doing it full time
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
congratulations! if you feel the school suits your needs, go for it! if not, you can always defer and try other schools again. but it's great you got in, and you should be very happy.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
For the first time, i am loving to be in a problem - choosing schulich or Queens

Queens reputation is invincible and the schulich's location and opportunity to apply for 3 yrs work permit mesmerize to schulich

Lets see, i think i need to over stretch my research abilities

thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Send PM
wayahead123 wrote:
For the first time, i am loving to be in a problem - choosing schulich or Queens

Queens reputation is invincible and the schulich's location and opportunity to apply for 3 yrs work permit mesmerize to schulich

thanks

What did you decide?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
wayahead123 wrote:

thanks

What did you decide?

Hi,

I am yet to decide, have a day or two only remaining.

I like the aspects of queens that are academics, quality of students, team based coaching etc, but the location is a problem since i am looking at opportunities in financial services and Torotnto is the hub

With schulich, the fees is a little less and the school is at toronto, so it is always better to network with people. I heard that the quality of students at schulich is not as good as queens' students.

In all, my confusion stands as it is :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Whatever you decide, both are really top schools. You cannot go wrong.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
Whatever you decide, both are really top schools. You cannot go wrong.

Ya, lets see.

I am not this bad at decision making, but this time I am lost :)

Thanks for your inputs till date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
wayahead123 wrote:
I had a fear and that turns out to be true :), I received an admit from Schulich for fall 2013

Any more insights ?

Thanks

Schulich hands down! 1) Lower tuition 2) Largest network in Canada 3) Probably best rounded school in Canada.

I could write a book on what a BS rumor it is that Schulich has lower quality of students or admission policies. If we shrunk the size of Schulich MBA to what it is at Ivey or Queens, then Schulich stats in career placement and GMAT/GPA would be off the charts! On that point, smaller program is not an advantage, its a disadvantage. Much less people to network with. Benefit of Schulich is that it is large and school has strengths in so many areas, but accounting, marketing and strategy stand out especially.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi Guys,

Nice discussion

Any more inputs ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Both schools are good, although Schulich Admin staff are way more professional than that of Queens. Although I was already accepted to Ivey, My #1 choice, I still decided to take the interview via Webcam. I didn't like my interviewer at all. Some guy, arrogant and he came off that he was better than me and the other girl who interviewed me. haha. So ya if you get the guy, goodluck, he a dbag...woooooo! A
S
aP
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
so @wayahead123.. where are you now? queens or schulich?
and i am in the same situation with same questions :)
however, i had already got an admit from Rotman last year but due to high fees i had to defer it :( :( :( :(
can you or anyone give me insight here? reviews after 2 years :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
wayahead123 wrote:
Hi,

I have an admit from Queens for its full time MBA, need insight on below mentioned points. I am an indian - international student.

1) one year MBA vs two year MBA - from the perspective of employer - do employers choose international students with two year MBA since they have three year work permit. How difficult is it to extend work permit after doing one year MBA ?

2) Although this is very subjective , yet am throwing it for discussion - is queens worth spending 100k ? i discussed with a few and they said that Queens / Sauder and HEC are almost in the same league as far as reputation is concerned, but the difference in cost is huge - queens (100k), HEC (50k), Sauder (70k)

3) Queens vs mcgill vs schullich vs rotman --- in terms of reputation

4) Any other points on Queens MBA that can help

Thanks

Very subjective questions!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Hi All, I need some inputs here regarding Canadian B-schools, specifically since after 2020 pandemic economies have undergone change. I have been accepted into Full-time MBA program at Queens for Jan'22 intake and also received Forte Fellowship. I was rejected by Ivey after Interview. My post-MBA goal is to get into Finance (not IB) and currently I work in IT (Software Engineer).

I am basically trying to decide between accepting offer from Queens or applying to Rotman in R1 and waiting for result.

Points in favour of Queens
1. 1-year program. Cost factor between Queens and Rotman play a big role for me. Queens not just have lower opportunity cost but overall living cost in Kingston would be lesser than Toronto.
2. Smaller batch size. This would mean more focused attention given to each student and personally, I prefer less crowded spaces. So a smaller cohort is a plus point for me
3. Tight-knit community : my interactions with adCom, alumni of Queens had been really warm and welcoming. I have also interact with alumni from Rotman, Sauder, Schulich, McGill but so far Queens had been most supportive.

Points in favour of Rotman :
1. Bigger brand-name, both in Canada as well as internationally.
2. Location is big advantage especially since I want to pursue career in Finance. And Rotman itself is known for Finance-career avenues.
3. Bigger batch size. On-campus placements features almost all major employers in Canada. Placement stats are impressive.

My current GMAT score is also not competitive for Rotman, is what I have understood. So I will also have to write GMAT again and improve my score.

Please provide your inputs and any other point of comparison. I would want to pursue MBA as early as possible and therefore I am inclined towards Queens.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts