Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GRE 1: Q156 V161
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
burnttwinky wrote:
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
Fuqua ranked #6 Business School!

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/

Posted from my mobile device

As a future student, it does look rather nice; however, I somewhat question Businessweek's rankings criteria considering SMU Cox was ranked so high last year yet ranked so much lower this year. That is a huge change. Regarding last year's rankings, I am not saying SMU Cox is a bad program in anyway, but by no means is a better program than Tuck, Stern, Anderson, McCombs, etc.

Businessweek MBA rankings are the oldest (started in 1988) and arguably the most respected ranking service. I agree with your point about Cox, but if you want to know why their ranking last year was so high, and why they dropped so much this year, see this article: https://poetsandquants.com/2012/10/30/th ... -rankings/

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
burnttwinky wrote:
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
Fuqua ranked #6 Business School!

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/

As a future student, it does look rather nice; however, I somewhat question Businessweek's rankings criteria considering SMU Cox was ranked so high last year yet ranked so much lower this year. That is a huge change. Regarding last year's rankings, I am not saying SMU Cox is a bad program in anyway, but by no means is a better program than Tuck, Stern, Anderson, McCombs, etc.

Businessweek MBA rankings are the oldest (started in 1988) and arguably the most respected ranking service. I agree with your point about Cox, but if you want to know why their ranking last year was so high, and why they dropped so much this year, see this article: https://poetsandquants.com/2012/10/30/th ... -rankings/

After reading this, I am definitely a bit more satisfied. I am happy they finally factored in another significant component in the rankings. At the same time, I hope the Fuqua career services improves a bit, and I know they are more than capable of doing so.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Send PM
Guys! applied to Duke in R1. Understand interview invites are sent by 28th this month.. has anyone heard from duke yet? I am beginning to get the nervous sweats. I already 16th!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
hselika wrote:
Guys! applied to Duke in R1. Understand interview invites are sent by 28th this month.. has anyone heard from duke yet? I am beginning to get the nervous sweats. I already 16th!

All invites will go out on the 28th. You have 2 more weeks to wait before you'll hear anything.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
So all invites are blasted out in one shot? Oh ok..then I guess I'll have to hold on to my pants till then.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hmm, I applied in Round 1, if i haven't been invited to an interview yet, its probably a no right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
As the guy above notes: all invites will be sent on 28th itself, by 5pm EST.. keep ur fingers crossed :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
yahyaazeem wrote:
Hmm, I applied in Round 1, if i haven't been invited to an interview yet, its probably a no right?

I have now seen you in 4 threads doubting your acceptance due to a lack of invites.

It's still early in the process, try not to worry so much yet!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
Hey all,

Just curious what folks on here think about Duke's 22nd rank on Business Week's student survey rating. I've heard before that some students have complained about career services (surprising considering the strong career numbers and variety of on campus recruiters), but otherwise the students I've met seem to rave about their experience.

Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Slider wrote:
Hey all,

Just curious what folks on here think about Duke's 22nd rank on Business Week's student survey rating. I've heard before that some students have complained about career services (surprising considering the strong career numbers and variety of on campus recruiters), but otherwise the students I've met seem to rave about their experience.

Any thoughts?

Hey Slider

Here are my 2 cents.

I talked to a recent graduate from Fuqua and while he had +ive inputs to share about the career management center (CMC), he also mentioned that the CMC had been restructured over the summer (2012) with each person within CMC being assigned certain domains/focus areas (like consulting, marketing and also industries like consumer goods, energy, etc) to facilitate the internship / job recruitment process.

So my guess is that while a majority of folks (60-70%) at Fuqua are happy with the CMC there are few who are not thrilled (which explains why its ranked 22nd as well as the restructuring process at CMC to turnaround that aspect).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mrsustainability wrote:
Slider wrote:
Hey all,

Any thoughts?

Hey Slider

Here are my 2 cents.

I talked to a recent graduate from Fuqua and while he had +ive inputs to share about the career management center (CMC), he also mentioned that the CMC had been restructured over the summer (2012) with each person within CMC being assigned certain domains/focus areas (like consulting, marketing and also industries like consumer goods, energy, etc) to facilitate the internship / job recruitment process.

So my guess is that while a majority of folks (60-70%) at Fuqua are happy with the CMC there are few who are not thrilled (which explains why its ranked 22nd as well as the restructuring process at CMC to turnaround that aspect).

Fuqua has also added 8 new full time staff members to the CMC this summer, bringing it to an army of 30. We are already seeing huge improvements because of the extra staff and new divisions.

Additionally, I've loved my experience and would say that most students feel the same. I've been happily surprised to get far more out of my two years than I had expected.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
I'm a bit surprised at our #22 student satisfaction ranking. We can second guess that all we want here, the fact is that 21 other schools' students responded better than we did. Although career services may be an influencer of that rating, there are other areas as well. Frankly, I don't think CMC is the reason for the low ranking. Our placement rate is on par with other schools. If I were the Fuqua administration, it would be very concerned about this. Student satisfaction is a huge part of how strong our alumni network will be in the future. We have a strong student culture, but I think it may be slipping a bit in recent years. In talking with my co-workers from other elite schools, other schools take a more proactive stance to build a strong inclusive culture.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello all,
New to the forum, long time stalker. I really didnt have much to contribute before =)

I got my acceptance from Fuqua 15 days ago (EA applicant). The rankings imo are not so important. Although cliqued, I really feel that the school must appeal to you (what people refer to as fit). It must excite you to have the best experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Tiredapplicant wrote:
Hello all,
New to the forum, long time stalker. I really didnt have much to contribute before =)

I got my acceptance from Fuqua 15 days ago (EA applicant). The rankings imo are not so important. Although cliqued, I really feel that the school must appeal to you (what people refer to as fit). It must excite you to have the best experience.

Congratulations!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Quick question - I have applied in Round 1. As per the website, interview invites would be sent out on 28th Nov. Also, all non-hub interviews will be carried out between 1-12 Dec. I am based out of New Delhi, which is a non-hub location.

Now I am scheduled to travel for work during 1-12 Dec. In the chance that I do get an invite and to avoid it clashing with my interview date, is it possible to know right now when the interviews would take place in New Delhi? This way I can plan my travel better right now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Dakells wrote:
anonymous2012 wrote:
ctgmat123 wrote:
My application was submitted for round 1. I also interviewed at Fuqua prior to this during the open interview season. Given that, I suspect I won't hear anything until decision day. There aren't any other notifications prior to that are there?

Same boat, I think it's just a loooong wait!

I'm with you guys! I just wish they could tell us before my holiday vacation. I would rather be elated or be depressed but at least have the vacation to make it better than have the nervous anticipation!

I'm with ya ctgmat123, anonymous2012, Dakells, and any other fellow R1 applicants for Fuqua. I also interviewed during the open interview season.
Duke is the first business school application that I was completely 100% done with and now it's simply in the hands of the admissions committee.
January 8th is d-day right? Can't come soon enough!!!

Honestly, I'm just trying to stay positive. Anytime I start to feel the nerves or impending feelings of doom of rejection, I go back and re-read my essay Why Duke? and I start nodding vigorously, convincing myself no adcom member reading this could not give me a chance. (ha! wishful thinking.. :) )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Kellogg, Duke, Ross, Darden,UCLA
 Q50  V39
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Two more days !! R1 Applicant - Anxious :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts