Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.7
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: BusinessWeek 2012 MBA Rankings [#permalink]
Businessweek came out with their new 2012 MBA rankings today. Here is the list:
30. Georgetown (McDonough)
29. Southern Methodist (Cox)
28. USC (Marshall)
27. Ohio State (Fisher)
26. Texas A&M (Mays)
25. Vanderbilt (Owen)
24. Maryland (Smith)
23. Georgia Tech (Scheller)
22. Emory (Gouizueta)
21. Yale
20. Notre Dame (Mendoza)
19. Texas-Austin (McCombs)
18. UCLA (Anderson)
17. North Carolina (Kenan-Flagler)
16. NYU (Stern)
15. Indiana (Kelley)
14.Columbia
13. UC Berkeley (Haas)
12. Dartmouth (Tuck)
11. Carnegie Mellon (Tepper)
10.Virginia (Darden)
9. MIT (Sloan)
8. Michigan (Ross)
7. Cornell (Johnson)
6. Duke (Fuqua)
5. Northwestern (Kellogg)
4.Stanford
3. Pennsylvania (Wharton)
2. Harvard
1. Chicago Booth

Here is the transcript discussing the rankings: https://staging.mzinga.com/n/pfx/forum.a ... ats&ptpw=y

They should post it to their website sometime in the not too distant future.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Looks like huge jumps for Carnegie Mellon (CMU) and Cornell! Congrats to those schools.

I see Yale is still sitting outside of the top 20.. hmm.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
I see Yale is still sitting outside of the top 20.. hmm.

BW has a ..lets call it unique way of looking at rankings. A vast majority of the overall score is for "student satisfaction" and "employer satisfaction", with a minor part of the score being made up by "intellectual capital".

While these are some of the factors necessary for ranking schools, in my opinion, its not all inclusive. I find their rankings interesting, but I offer them little weight in my own rankings.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
https://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ls-ranking

As an applicant, I didn’t take much stock in the BW ranking. A lot of its placements didn’t make intuitive sense as opposed to, say, US News.

After the b-school, having interacted and talked with many more students and graduates from other schools, I believe more and more in the BW ranking. BW ranking’s purpose is to gauge the school based on two important aspects of b-school: 1) your experience there, and 2) the perception of you by your future employers. At the end of the day, those are the two things that matters. Scores, acceptance rate, reputation, etc. may matter to an applicant. To a certain extent they may influence for recruiting and class discussion. I guarantee that as a student or recruiter those are not high on your priority list. Success in life isn’t about being the one with the highest score; it’s about being the one who can get things done. Being smart is only one of the factors.

I think an even better indicator of school’s quality is the recruiter rankings. Those ratings are harder to juice. If you look at the top schools by recruiter ranking, it start to make a lot of sense, especially at the top, where data points are plenty.

Where the rankings break down is the specifics. I bet if you look at the raw data, the difference between a #5 school and #9 is so minimal, that it may not be statistically significant. It’s like trying to place a bunch of fashion models in line according to their “beauty”. The ranking can only give you a general feel for the schools, it can never tell if it one school is absolutely better than another. There are too many variables at play here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Wow. CBS dropped big. :(

BW must of heard that I got in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
One of the interesting things, I think, is that the employer survey seems to lend weight to larger programs. It makes sense, when you think about it, that larger programs are sending more MBAs to more companies, and in larger numbers. If you break the schools into their typical perceived groupings, you notice that the smaller programs are almost always at the bottom of a given group (Stanford below H/W, for example).

As with any ranking, it means exactly what you allow it to mean. Either a program is right for you and your goals, or it's not. As someone interested in smaller programs, however, it was startling to see the trend.

One question I do have, though, is how the letter grades are assigned? It's strange to see A+ across the board for schools that are ranked well below others with a B or two.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
From an admissions perspective, we never took much stock in these surveys. One thing that we noticed was that those schools with the most aggressive public relations initiatives always did the best. Also, we always gave our consumer - the business school applicants - credit in figuring out which schools were best for them -- as just because a school is ranked high in this survey does not mean that it is the right program for you. Candidates should choose the program that has the resources, focus, philosophy and energy that they are looking for; not choose a program based on some model that is not so transparent.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
DHokie2 wrote:
One of the interesting things, I think, is that the employer survey seems to lend weight to larger programs. It makes sense, when you think about it, that larger programs are sending more MBAs to more companies, and in larger numbers. If you break the schools into their typical perceived groupings, you notice that the smaller programs are almost always at the bottom of a given group (Stanford below H/W, for example).

You are definitely right; a smaller program does affect employer survey. Yield is important for employers, and there are only so many students available at the smaller programs. That aside, an important factor influencing the survey is the diversity of employers recruiting at the school. If a school is strongly aligned in a certain industry, and they may not get as many response from recruiters in other industries. This may be the case for NYU.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Has anyone spent time on the individual school pages, I love this new layout. Great free resource for information on schools IMO
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
Has anyone spent time on the individual school pages, I love this new layout. Great free resource for information on schools IMO

Thanks for the heads up! I hadn't realized they had revamped their school profiles. I LOVE all the information BW provides in its school profiles.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I already posted my thoughts in the CBS thread but I'll reiterate them here. Rankings don't take location into account so I'm going to throw that out as well because individuals preference to location really doesn't say anything about the quality of the school. That being said, I don't believe for a minute that given the choice between Columbia and Ross, Tepper, Haas, Johnson or Fuqua anybody would turn down admission to Columbia. None of these are bad programs but nobody realistically believes Michigan is a better MBA than Columbia.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
I already posted my thoughts in the CBS thread but I'll reiterate them here. Rankings don't take location into account so I'm going to throw that out as well because individuals preference to location really doesn't say anything about the quality of the school. That being said, I don't believe for a minute that given the choice between Columbia and Ross, Tepper, Haas, Johnson or Fuqua anybody would turn down admission to Columbia. None of these are bad programs but nobody realistically believes Michigan is a better MBA than Columbia.

Okay, this makes no sense.

1) US News, which many will consider the most legitimate, ranks Haas above Columbia.
2) I would argue there are relatively few cases where you would choose Columbia over the other schools on your list. If you look at a specialty ranking that isn't for finance, Columbia will rank lower than most of these schools for most specialties.
3) There are plenty of people that could get into Columbia that don't even apply there.

This is the problem. People have bias based on the schools that they are applying to. This bias gets even worse after you've attended a school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Columbia over Johnson or Tepper, probably so. Columbia over Haas, absolutely not.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Agreed. I could see someone choosing Fuqua/Ross/Haas over CBS. I would probably say the same about Tepper/Johnson, too, had I looked into them at all (they weren't on my radar). Everybody has their own motivations for applying to b school, after all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
Yeah, I think Haas sits above Columbia for a lot of folks in their internal ranking. I know I never even considered applying to Columbia, but was very close to applying to Haas and probably would have had I not gotten into Booth first. The reason I like the BW rankings is because they do the best job of capturing how much attending a given program IMPROVES your position. It's true that people coming out of HBS and Stanford land some really fantastic gigs, but they also went in with some pretty amazing resumes. Therefore, it seems these top two do very little to actually improve one's opportunity set. On the flip side, lots of my friends at Chicago (including myself) came from sort of lesser known, or somewhat less prestigious firms pre-MBA, and then they were able to land at their absolute top choices for career and firm post business school. That to me signals that the school actually added a lot of value for us.

If your use of rankings is to see which school will produce alums that will earn the most $$$ over the course of their career, yeah, USN is probably going to be more accurate. But I think for applicants who are a little more self aware of where they actually stand among the pool of applicants, BW is going to be more relevant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Maybe it's just me but it seems like Columbia has been slipping. Big drops in applications, bad experiences with current students, etc. That was one school I never planned on applying to.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Here's a very good article that I found on Poets and Quants: https://poetsandquants.com/2010/06/28/tu ... -rankings/
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2