Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [3]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Re: Why are these idioms incorrect? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
commdiver wrote:
Thank you for the help. The last one about zebras still does not make sense to me. How is the first missing a verb? I thought "are" is a verb.

In the sentence.....

When compared to horses, zebras are vicious.

.... the green part, the independent clause ---- that's fine. It has a bonafide subject ("zebras") and a bonafide verb ("are"). Perfect. The problem is with the red part ----- here the subordinate conjunction "when" is not followed by a bonafide noun + verb clause, but rather by "compared to horses", a participial phrase. That is a construction common in colloquial English and wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT Sentence Correction. Similarly, the construction [subordinate conjunction] + [adjective], by itself, is not complete, and therefore always wrong. Here are further examples of what the GMAT would consistently consider incorrect:
Although sad, I went to the part.
While talking to my friend on my cellphone, I ran a red light.
Because intelligent beyond her years, the student was advanced to the next grade level.
When frightened, my cat hides under the bed.

Those red constructions would be wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT Sentence Correction.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Send PM
So, the red part needs to be a main clause in order for the idiom to be correct?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Expert Reply
commdiver wrote:
So, the red part needs to be a main clause in order for the idiom to be correct?

This is actually not a point of idiom, but rather of basic grammar. The "red part" (a.k.a the subordinate clause) must be a full clause --- that is to say, must have a full (noun + verb) structure. I would not use the term "main clause", because then it could be confused with the independent clause.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
According to Manhattan GMAT, the following are incorrect. [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
commdiver wrote:
Thank you for the help. The last one about zebras still does not make sense to me. How is the first missing a verb? I thought "are" is a verb.

In the sentence.....

When compared to horses, zebras are vicious.

.... the green part, the independent clause ---- that's fine. It has a bonafide subject ("zebras") and a bonafide verb ("are"). Perfect. The problem is with the red part ----- here the subordinate conjunction "when" is not followed by a bonafide noun + verb clause, but rather by "compared to horses", a participial phrase. That is a construction common in colloquial English and wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT Sentence Correction. Similarly, the construction [subordinate conjunction] + [adjective], by itself, is not complete, and therefore always wrong. Here are further examples of what the GMAT would consistently consider incorrect:
Although sad, I went to the part.
While talking to my friend on my cellphone, I ran a red light.
Because intelligent beyond her years, the student was advanced to the next grade level.
When frightened, my cat hides under the bed.

Those red constructions would be wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT Sentence Correction.

mikemcgarry

Mike. thanks for the explanation above. I have one doubt though, while using the correct form i.e 'in comparison with/to horses, zebras are viscous.' Don't we require a complete subject+verb in the first part of the sentence here as well? Why this sentence can go without a subject+verb in first part of the sentence whereas 'when compared with/to' does? Is there any specific list of such words that require complete clause? If yes, can you please share the ones which we mostly see on GMAT. Thanks.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: According to Manhattan GMAT, the following are incorrect. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
SCT wrote:

mikemcgarry

Mike. thanks for the explanation above. I have one doubt though, while using the correct form i.e 'in comparison with/to horses, zebras are viscous.' Don't we require a complete subject+verb in the first part of the sentence here as well? Why this sentence can go without a subject+verb in first part of the sentence whereas 'when compared with/to' does? Is there any specific list of such words that require complete clause? If yes, can you please share the ones which we mostly see on GMAT. Thanks.

Hi SCT!

I can jump in for Mike here :-)

We only need a clause (complete subject+verb) when we are using a subordinate conjunction, like "when". "In comparison with" is not a conjunction, so it does not need to be followed by a complete clause. You can find a list of subordinate conjunctions here :-)

Hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to Manhattan GMAT, the following are incorrect. [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts