Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: MBA or MS Accounting? [#permalink]
ManhattanReview wrote:
Think long term. While specialized masters programs are great if you know that you only want to do one thing for your entire career; it is often the case that people change their careers frequently. Thus, my general advise to people deciding between a specialized masters program and an MBA degree is to think long term and if you would be able to obtain your accounting credentials through your MBA studies. Further, I have found that recruiters and decision makers value an MBA degree more than a specialized masters degree.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

I agree with this comment and think that it is great advice. Accounting is a great career but it does have a fair amount of burnout, especially auditors. I would only advice doing a master in accounting if you are certain that you want to pursue as a career in accounting. If you are not 100 percent certain about accounting then I would do an MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
bwilkinson wrote:
Hello, I am 2 years out of undergrad with a liberal arts degree. Recently, I have taken introductory accounting courses at a local community college to get a feel for accounting and to see if I would like to pursue the field further. As it turns out, I highly enjoy it and am ready to work towards a career in accounting. My question is would I be better off applying for an MBA or a MS in accounting? I have no internships or relevant work experience as of yet. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sorry to post twice in a row, but I just realized that you have no work experience in accounting. Before you purse a master in accounting, you should definitely do an accounting internship or find some way to gain work experience. You have taken some classes but you need to see what the job is really like before spending thousands on a masters degree.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
ngould wrote:
ManhattanReview wrote:
Think long term. While specialized masters programs are great if you know that you only want to do one thing for your entire career; it is often the case that people change their careers frequently. Thus, my general advise to people deciding between a specialized masters program and an MBA degree is to think long term and if you would be able to obtain your accounting credentials through your MBA studies. Further, I have found that recruiters and decision makers value an MBA degree more than a specialized masters degree.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

I agree with this comment and think that it is great advice. Accounting is a great career but it does have a fair amount of burnout, especially auditors. I would only advice doing a master in accounting if you are certain that you want to pursue as a career in accounting. If you are not 100 percent certain about accounting then I would do an MBA.

True. I am the best example in this case.
I did my MSc in UK (a low grade university) and struggled to get a good job. Though i work in a good position now,
the salary and the kind of work is low and restrictive respectively.Because I have a masters in Accounting and
Finance only, I am not given a chance to work in Deal Origination, Client meetings, Negotiations etc. I am restricted to Valuation only.
Work few more years, and go for an MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wow.
nice information

thank you
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Excellent valuable guides above as recruiters and employers really want to hire MBA professional more than specialized graduate professionals. With MBA one guy will be called as a real business professional with vast business knowledge and skills.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts