Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51445 [178]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32859 [3]
Given Kudos: 4452
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51445 [2]
Send PM
Re: Hard CR questions involving proportion/numbers/statistics [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jp27 wrote:
My answers are ->

1/D
2/D
3/B
4/D
5/C
6/D

I will add the rational behind these selection, once Souvik posts the answers.

Cheers

Hey
I added 3 more Questions if you want to take a look.
BTW, you were looking for a set like this right?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
DDBDCD for me... 11 minutes.. Although 6 of those were consumed by the 3rd and 6th alone. Will explain if I am right.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
C,C and C for the last 3. Although bit skeptical about the last one but seems like the best choice. Consumed more than 3 minutes.. :( and naturally three consecutive Cs make me suspicious. :P

Kudos Please... If my post helped.
AGSM Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Great questions Souvik!! Kudos to you!

Here are my answers:

1. D
2. D
3. B
4. D
5. C
6. D
7. C
8. C
9. C
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32859 [1]
Given Kudos: 4452
Send PM
Bookmarks
Vineetk wrote:
Great questions Souvik!! Kudos to you!

Here are my answers:

1. D
2. D
3. B
4. D
5. C
6. D
7. C
8. C
9. C

Same solutions as above :)

For the last one C is the only explains that even though the televisions now are more expensive, more people are in the houses than devices. Only C as premise support the conclusion and is logic. Here is one of the question if you do not catch go with POE ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Firstly, Thanks for the amazing questions.

So will the answer set be put up shortly?

My answer set was quite different! :(

1)C
2)A
3)C
4)D
5)C
6)B
7)C
8)C
9)C

How badly off am I and Why? Would love the explanations to be put up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
1. C
2. D
3. B
4. D
5. D
6. D
7. E
8. C
9. C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Wow Good questions

Here are my answers

1.D
2 D
3 B
4 D
5 C
6 D
7 E
8 C
9 A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Good questions.

1.D
2.D
3.B
4.D
5.C
6.B
7.C
8.C
9.C
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51445 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
OAs are posted
Sorry for the delay.
I see most of us got these right. However in case if anybody needs any explanation do feel free to post here :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
I think explanations should be provided cos other might use this thread later on, the explanations will help them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Send PM
Since I got the majority of the answers to the questions wrong... :cry: :cry: . I will try and initiate a discussion about the same.....

2. The violent crime rate (number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents) in Meadowbrook is 60 percent higher now than it was four years ago. The corresponding increase for Parkdale is only 10 percent. These figures support the conclusion that residents of Meadowbrook are more likely to become victims of violent crime than are residents of Parkdale.
The argument above is flawed because it fails to take into account

A. changes in the population density of both Parkdale and Meadowbrook over the past four years
B. how the rate of population growth in Meadowbrook over the past four years compares to the corresponding rate for Parkdale
C. the ratio of violent to nonviolent crimes committed during the past four years in Meadowbrook and Parkdale
D. the violent crime rates in Meadowbrook and Parkdale four years ago
E. how Meadowbrook’s expenditures for crime prevention over the past four years compare to Parkdale’s expenditures
[Obscure] Spoiler:
OA D

My question here would be....aren't we supposed to consider the population here.... I mean how can only taking the crime rates in both the cities be the deciding factor, as it may so happen that Parkdale's population has exceeded that of Meadowbrook and even with the the lower rate of violent crime rates it would have more crimes being committed(the number of crimes).....
P.S: I did zero onto D but rejected it because of the reasons mentioned here... and this has been happening to me with an alarming frequency off late... :oops: :cry:

Originally posted by avaneeshvyas on 24 Nov 2012, 18:32.
Last edited by avaneeshvyas on 24 Nov 2012, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
5. Corporate Officer: Last year was an unusually poor one for our chemical division, which has traditionally contributed about 60 percent of the corporation’s profits. It is therefore encouraging that there is the following evidence that the pharmaceutical division is growing stronger: it contributed 45 percent of the corporation’s profits, up from 20 percent the previous year.
On the basis of the facts stated, which of the following is the best critique of the evidence presented above?

(A) The increase in the pharmaceutical division’s contribution to corporation profits could have resulted largely from the introduction of single, important new product.
(B) In multidivisional corporations that have pharmaceutical divisions, over half of the corporation’s profits usually come from the pharmaceuticals.
(C) The percentage of the corporation’s profits attributable to the pharmaceutical division could have increased even if that division’s performance had not improved.
(D) The information cited does not make it possible to determine whether the 20 percent share of profits cited was itself an improvement over the year before.
(E) The information cited does not make it possible to compare the performance of the chemical and pharmaceutical divisions in of the percent of total profits attributable to each.
[Obscure] Spoiler:
OA C

I marked A as it would make sense that an important product might or might not be launched the following years and hence stating that a particular division is growing stronger just by the evidence provided by the figure for one year doesn't make sense to me...... I don't quite understand what can be concluded from option C

P.S: I narrowed down to C and A, but A made more sense to me for the logic stated above and hence went ahead with it....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [2]
Send PM
Kudos