Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2828 [64]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [39]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [6]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Is 1/(x - y) < y - x (1) 1/x < 1/y (2) 2x = 3y [#permalink]
Kudos
Proposition 1:

1/X < 1/Y

This is equal to X > Y | x, y both > 0 or both < 0

Case 1: Both > 0. X > Y, therefore X-Y >0 , Y-X <0, so 1/(X-Y) > 0 and Y-X<0 so FALSE

Case 2: X < 0, Y>0. Cross multiple and switch the signs, you get Y>X. There for Y-X>0, X-Y<0.

1/(X-Y)<0, Y-X>0, so case 2, 1/(X-Y) < (Y-X) is TRUE

Therefore statement 1 is insufficient by contradiction.

Proposition 2:

2X=3Y

Case 1: X=3, Y=2 - therefore X-Y=1, Y-X = -1

1/(X-Y) < Y-X ----> 1/1 < -1 = FALSE

Case 2: X=-3, Y=-2 - therefore X-Y=-1, Y-X = 1

1/(X-Y) < Y-X ----> 1/-1 < 1 = TRUE

Insufficient by contradicition

Both Statments together - Intutitively, neither statement removes the ambiguity of the sign of X or Y. I can't think of a proof.

Therefore answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Send PM
Quote:
Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x?

1. 1 / x < 1 / y
2. 2x = 3y

equation: \(\frac{1}{(x-y)} < y-x\)

Statement 1
Given \(\frac{1}{x}<\frac{1}{y}\), we have 2 possibilities:
One: if both x and y share the same signs (i.e. both are positive or both are negative) --> y<x
left side of equation will be a positive fraction; right side will be negative integer --> equation = true
Two: if x is negative and y is positive (e.g. x=-2 and y=3), left side of equation will be negative fraction; right side will be positive integer --> equation = false
Insufficient.

Statement 2
Given 2x=3y --> x/y = 3/2 -->i.e. x and y share the same sign (i.e. both positive or both negative). 2 possibilities:
One: if both x and y are positive (i.e. x=3, y=2), results in 1/1 < -1 --> equation = false
Two: if both x and y are negative (i.e. x=-3, y=-2), results in 1/-1 < 1 --> equation = true
Insufficient.

Statement 1 + 2
Applying statement 2 and 1 together, we know that x and y:
i. share the same sign, and
ii. that y<x
--> which means, equation = false i.e. No
Sufficient.

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Buneul,

Can you please explain this part?
if both are negative cross multiply and flip the sigh twice to get y<x again)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shankar245 wrote:
Hi Buneul,

Can you please explain this part?
if both are negative cross multiply and flip the sigh twice to get y<x again)

Given: 1/x<1/y. Now, if both x and y are negative, then when we multiply both parts by negative x we should flip the sign and write 1>x/y. Now, multiply both sides by negative y and flip the sign again to get y<x.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
stem reduces to Is x<y ? [-1/(y-x) = (y-x) => (y-x) >0 ]

A. Depends on sign of x,y. (both positive or both negative for eg. Vs positive-negative give both YES and NO)
B. x= 3k, y= 2k. K>=0, Answer NO. K<0 Answer is YES.

C.

Using 2. x =3k when y =2k.
using the above in 1. 1/x < 1/ y or 1/3k < 1/2k holds only for k>0. For k>0, Using 2, we definitely get the single answer as NO.

KUDOS, if YOU LIKE
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [0]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
rxs0005 wrote:
Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x

1 / x < 1 / y

2x = 3y

First of all if it were realistic GMAT question it would most likely state that \(xy\neq{0}\) and \(x\neq{y}\) (as x, y and x-y are in denominators).

Is \(\frac{1}{x-y}<y-x\)? --> is \(\frac{1}{x-y}+x-y<0\) --> is \(\frac{1+(x-y)^2}{x-y}<0\)? as the nominator (\(1+(x-y)^2\)) is always positive then the question basically becomes whether denominator (\(x-y\)) is negative --> is \(x-y<0\)? or is \(x<y\)?

(1) \(\frac{1}{x}<\frac{1}{y}\) --> if both unknowns are positive or both unknowns are negative then \(y<x\) (if both are positive cross multiply to get \(y<x\) and if both are negative cross multiply and flip the sigh twice to get \(y<x\) again) and the answer will be NO but if \(x<0<y\) given inequality also holds true and in this case the answer will be YES (if \(x\) is any negative number and \(y\) is any positive number then \(\frac{1}{x}=negative<positive=\frac{1}{y}\)). Not sufficient.

(2) \(2x=3y\) --> \(x\) and \(y\) have the same sign, next: \(\frac{x}{y}=\frac{3}{2}\): if both \(x\) and \(y\) are positive (for example 3 and 2 respectively) then \(0<y<x\) and the answer will be NO but if both \(x\) and \(y\) are negative (for example -3 and -2 respectively) then \(x<y<0\) and the answer will be NO. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) As from (2) \(x\) and \(y\) have the same sign then from (1) \(y<x\) and the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hello Bunuel,

Agree with your approach but I wanted to plug in nos and check so here it goes.

we get the expression ( 1+ (x-y)^2 )/(x-y) <0----> Q becomes Is x<y ?

From St 1, we get 1/x<1/y ----> 1/x-1/y <0 and therefore expression becomes

(y-x)/xy < 0 which means is y<x

Now lets take values

y=2 , x=3, the expression is true i.e <0
y=-2 and x=-3, the expression is false ie >0

So not sufficient

from St 2, we get x= 3/2y

Now y=4, x=6, Expression is False ie >0
y=-4, x=-6, expression is true i.e <0
So alone not sufficient

Now Combining we get y<x and x=3/2y ----> y< 3/2y which means Y > 0 and x>y. So we have x>y>0. For this condition, the expression is always false ie. ( 1+ (x-y)^2 )/(x-y) >0

Can't thank you enough in solving inequalities the way you just did.

Thanks
Mridul
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
rxs0005 wrote:
Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x

1 / x < 1 / y

2x = 3y

First of all if it were realistic GMAT question it would most likely state that \(xy\neq{0}\) and \(x\neq{y}\) (as x, y and x-y are in denominators).

Is \(\frac{1}{x-y}<y-x\)? --> is \(\frac{1}{x-y}+x-y<0\) --> is \(\frac{1+(x-y)^2}{x-y}<0\)? as the nominator (\(1+(x-y)^2\)) is always positive then the question basically becomes whether denominator (\(x-y\)) is negative --> is \(x-y<0\)? or is \(x<y\)?

(1) \(\frac{1}{x}<\frac{1}{y}\) --> if both unknowns are positive or both unknowns are negative then \(y<x\) (if both are positive cross multiply to get \(y<x\) and if both are negative cross multiply and flip the sigh twice to get \(y<x\) again) and the answer will be NO but if \(x<0<y\) given inequality also holds true and in this case the answer will be YES (if \(x\) is any negative number and \(y\) is any positive number then \(\frac{1}{x}=negative<positive=\frac{1}{y}\)). Not sufficient.

(2) \(2x=3y\) --> \(x\) and \(y\) have the same sign, next: \(\frac{x}{y}=\frac{3}{2}\): if both \(x\) and \(y\) are positive (for example 3 and 2 respectively) then \(0<y<x\) and the answer will be NO but if both \(x\) and \(y\) are negative (for example -3 and -2 respectively) then \(x<y<0\) and the answer will be NO. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) As from (2) \(x\) and \(y\) have the same sign then from (1) \(y<x\) and the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel.
When taking both statements together, I substituted x=3/2 and y=2/3, or x=-3/2 and y=-2/3
When taking into account statement 1, I noticed that we can't have the negative value for the numbers, as then statement 1 won't hold true.
Is this true? Am I missing something?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ronr34 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
rxs0005 wrote:
Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x

1 / x < 1 / y

2x = 3y

Hi Bunuel.
When taking both statements together, I substituted x=3/2 and y=2/3, or x=-3/2 and y=-2/3
When taking into account statement 1, I noticed that we can't have the negative value for the numbers, as then statement 1 won't hold true.
Is this true? Am I missing something?

Yes, when we combine the statements we get that x > y and 2x = 3y, so x > y > 0.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Hi All,
I attended this question quite late from the posting date but i am getting the different answer D.

1) 1/x<1/y --- which means x>y..so for the positive values the given expression holds NO, and for the negaive values X=-1 and Y=-2 (X>Y) the expression says NO.

2) 2x=3y --- which means x>y..so the same solution like above

So both gives the answer.

Can you help.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
asethi wrote:
Hi All,
I attended this question quite late from the posting date but i am getting the different answer D.

1) 1/x<1/y --- which means x>y..so for the positive values the given expression holds NO, and for the negaive values X=-1 and Y=-2 (X>Y) the expression says NO.

2) 2x=3y --- which means x>y..so the same solution like above

So both gives the answer.

Can you help.

Be very careful with multiplying or diving inequalities with variables for which you do not know the signs of.

In this case as well, you do not know whether x and y are both positive or both negative or one negative one positive etc.

Without this information you can not say x>y when you are given 1/x<1/y

Case in point, consider the cases (3,2) and (-2,-3) you get different answers and because of this the first statement is not sufficient.

You are making the same mistake when you are analyzing statement 2 alone.

Make sure to be extra careful when dealing with unknown variables in inequalities.

Hope this helps.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts