Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink]
Exactly, you need to differentiate yourself from this large applicants pool and demonstrate as unique profile as possible. That way you are competing against a smaller pool of candidates and therefore have higher admission chances.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That makes a lot of sense. You just need to figure out what are the big groups/types of engineers, if you are in one of those you should think what makes you stand out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with all that has been posted here.

There is one thing that consultants and Ad com cannot tell you before they see the pool of applicants. How unique you are? How you standout is a direct proportion of the applicant pool. This factor is almost always discounted when you apply to top schools and especially when you ask Admission consultants.

So, if you are run off the mill types like Indian Engineer IT then you better get a high GMAT Score and apply.

If you have a unique profile like a Navy Engineer from Sri Lanka, then you might be a highly favoured candidate as long as the rest of the profile has no glaring areas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I agree too, you can only estimate how big is the pool you are in. Having a unique background is great (Navy Engineer from Sri Lanka... i wish) but obviously it's not something you can change when you are already applying.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mourinhogmat1 wrote:

So, if you are run off the mill types like Indian Engineer IT then you better get a high GMAT Score and apply.

I think many Indian engineers have high GMAT, so it's probably not the right way to differentiate yourself, maybe you should even go for low GMAT just in order to stand out :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Ha ha!
That's an interesting strategy, my friend. Try it and let us all know how it went :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone knows which schools are "engineers friendly"? can one assume that schools that are ranked higher at categories like IT or information system are more engineers friendly?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MIT comes to mind, and also Tepper and McCombs, although I'm not sure it works that way. You can look at the class profile at each school to see the educational background of students.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good idea, thanks! I'd also add Stanford to that list.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stanford are not friendly to anyone :)
with 6% admission rate, it's like they have a big angry bouncer standing at the door...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You have a point, i was only referring to their links to tech firms of the Silicon Valley...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
We'll never actually know if the tool is accurate. Someone who gets in but shows up as a long shot in the tool, could conceivably have gotten a hail mary pass from the adcom, deciding there was some little spark they liked. Getting in doesn't mean you were a shoe-in, it just means you got in.

On the other hand, the useful part of the tool is that it reminds you of the many different layers of the application. Promotions, GPA, recs, essays, etc. are all taken into consideration. The assigned values may be spot, but most likely they differ by school, so just make sure each piece of the puzzle you submit is as close to perfect as it can be.

Some of you may have wildly under-estimated yourselves as well. As an arrogant *complain*, I scored myself top marks in everything! hahaha. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote][/quote]

I'm new to this site and the interesting thing for me re: the application process, is all the talk about making yourself unique. No one's that unique in this process (except maybe a mature hopeful with a lot of work experience) and frankly I think uniqueness is the wrong angle. I would imagine adcoms want to hear why you want their school (why DO you want that school?) and would like to know how what their school has to offer fits in with your plans for the future (you DO have plans for the future?). Confidence, vision, that kind of thing. They already know you have stamina - let them know you hope to achieve something significant in life, with their help. That would almost be unique.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The application forms always have a place for extracurricular activities. I have to admit that I don't have much to report about that - some tutoring, my job experience is with an on-site supervision team for a construction company for three summers. My work was keeping my grades as good as possible. I know that for the top schools this is something important and I'm wondering, and worried, about how important it really is and whether it will affect my chances. I don't underestimate myself, but I'm sure this is the weakest link in my applications. Any suggestions, or advice?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I can't agree that the Vocaz test is a waste of time. People have put a lot of their personal, valuable experience in to composing it and even if it's not a reliable tool, which doesn't exist, it's an illuminating one. So what if these Application Consultants have made a business out of it? This is such an arduous process and I can't imagine anyone not wanting to know NOT where they stand, but on what aspects of their applications they need help. If you look at it as a tool and not a bona fide anything, it's an eye-opener. I wouldn't let it stop me from applying to the schools I want, or wish to attend, but there's an element of expertise with all competition and these guys have been through the acid test so why not check it out?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I scored 670 on my GMAT but did much better on the Quantitative section than on the Verbal. My math and problem solving skills are good. Same on the Vocaz test - weak in the essays. I wonder if this difference is as critical as I think it might be since an MBA grad is basically going for a managerial position rather than a research one, so there's a lot of writing involved. I'm determined to get an MBA from a top school but I feel like I'm at a disadvantage. I have lots of strengths - writing is just not one of them. Where does this put me for acceptance at Wharton or MIT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
heavydutysans wrote:
Quote:

I'm new to this site and the interesting thing for me re: the application process, is all the talk about making yourself unique. No one's that unique in this process (except maybe a mature hopeful with a lot of work experience) and frankly I think uniqueness is the wrong angle. I would imagine adcoms want to hear why you want their school (why DO you want that school?) and would like to know how what their school has to offer fits in with your plans for the future (you DO have plans for the future?). Confidence, vision, that kind of thing. They already know you have stamina - let them know you hope to achieve something significant in life, with their help. That would almost be unique.

I just found out how important this really is. Two friends from the same college, similar applications that they worked on together. One made a big point of catering to each university's strengths (or reputation) in his essays and the other did not, so much. Guess who got accepted to all three of his top choices? The other one got accepted to one, ergo that's the one he'll be going to. These schools have egos.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12