Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [70]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [14]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [9]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proli [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The subtle essence of the topic is that there is much agreement and not mere agreement and that they may agree (the speculative intent of the modal verb may) and not simply agree

Choices B through E suffer from altered intent either by skipping the word much as in D or through stating affirmative agreements rather than possible agreements as in B, C and E. A reflects the two phenomena rightly

Originally posted by daagh on 30 Nov 2012, 09:02.
Last edited by daagh on 22 Oct 2015, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [1]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Re: However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proli [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,
I found this one really interesting so re-initiating the discussion. Request other members to join-in and share their views.

However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proliferation must be halted and that steps should be implemented to reduce the level of nuclear stockpiles, it is difficult for countries to come to agreement on the specific methods of implementing such practices.

Stmt breakdown:
However much governments around the world may agree that
nuclear proliferation must be halted and that
steps should be implemented to reduce the level of nuclear stockpiles,
it is difficult for countries to come to agreement on the specific methods of implementing such practices.

1:However much -> No matter how much
2:As per the bold phrase they haven't reached to agreement yet.
3:||sm is maintained using that around ||sm marker and.

a. However much governments around the world may agree that
b. Despite the agreement among governments around the world to the fact that
c. Although governments around the world agree
d. Even though governments around the world may agree
e. Despite there being agreement among governments around the world that

Analysis
1:C,D straight out because of missing that.
2:Now as per the non underlined part agreement is yet to establish so "may" is correct usage. "there being agreement" or "the agreement among governments" shows certainty which is not req here.

Mistakes I did :
1: Didnt read the non-underlined part and wasted my time figuring out the difference A,B,E. Though, before working on SC question i always remind myself to read the non underlined part :(
2: Marked A wrong in rush.Was under the impression that much points to some uncountable entity here. :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
GPA: 3
Send PM
There is good video explanation for a question similar to above:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CoAGQvZ6is
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20713 [1]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Bookmarks
Paramita11 wrote:
However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proliferation must be halted and that steps should be implemented to reduce the level of nuclear stockpiles, it is difficult for countries to come to agreement on the specific methods of implementing such practices.

(A) However much governments around the world may agree that

(B) Despite the agreement among governments around the world to the fact that

(C) Although governments around the world agree

(D) Even though governments around the world may agree

(E) Despite there being agreement among governments around the world that

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Correct Answer: A

The correct answer to this question is A. The sentence begins with parallel subordinate clauses that are followed by the main clause. The parallel subordinate clauses are both introduced by the word 'that' ' i.e. 'that nuclear proliferation'' and 'that steps should be implemented'' Answer choices C and D are incorrect as each leaves out the word 'that,' and in doing so, parallel structure with the second subordinate clause is violated. Answer choices B and E violate the GMAT standards of Brevity and Fluency, employing lengthy, awkward constructions.

AnthonyRitz & VeritasPrepKarishma, This question copies from OG. https://gmatclub.com/forum/however-much ... 75895.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
on what basis this question falls in parallel structure can someone please explain
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [0]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Mona10031990 wrote:
on what basis this question falls in parallel structure can someone please explain

hi Mona10031990
there is a parallelism marker word "and" which is connecting two parallel entities "that nuclear proliferation must be halted" and "that steps should be implemented to reduce the level of nuclear stockpiles"

Hope it is clear.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Parallelism is about the use of the introductory word 'that' for both the relative clauses, the one that is missing in choices C and D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The subtle essence of the topic is that there is much agreement and not mere agreement and that they may agree (the speculative intent of the modal verb may) and not simply agree

Choices B through E suffer from altered intent either by skipping the word much as in D or through stating affirmative agreements rather than possible agreements as in B, C and E. A reflects the two phenomena rightly

daagh

However "much" here seems to modify governments. I am finding it difficult to understand how "much" is a referent to "agreement".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Prateek Could kindly reproduce the sentence you are referring to. But on the look of it, can we modify the plural 'governments' by a quantum adjective 'much'?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Prateek Could kindly reproduce the sentence you are referring to. But on the look of it, can we modify the plural 'governments' by a quantum adjective 'much'?

Sir,

I was talking about the opening sentence

"However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proliferation......."

As per my understanding, "much" seems to modify "governments" here instead of "agreement" which cannot be possible because "much" can't modify something countable.

As per OE, "much" modifies "agreement". I didn't understand how?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Much is a countless quantum word and governments is a plural count noun.CAn they be reconciled?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Much is a countless quantum word and governments is a plural count noun.CAn they be reconciled?

They cannot be reconciled.

But I am confused because I didn't understand what does "much" modify?? Does it modify "agree"? The positioning of the word "much" seems a little weird to modify "agree".
Wouldn't the sentence be clearer if we say "However much agreement exists among the governments around the world that.........."

Option B here seems clearer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
In this sentence "that" at the end of the underline is necessary. without "that", sentence reads as follows:
may agree nuclear proliferation --> this is not a complete sentence. based on this, C and D can be eliminated.

B and E are the wordier versions of A, so eliminate B and E.
A is the right answer

(A) However much governments around the world may agree that

(B) Despite the agreement among governments around the world to the fact that

(C) Although governments around the world agree

(D) Even though governments around the world may agree

(E) Despite there being agreement among governments around the world that
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts