Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
bond007 wrote:
So are suits really necessary for the interview? I feel like I may come across as being too stiff If I wear a suit when they stated the outfit should be business casual. My background is more 'startup' and not finance.

When I interviewed in October, about half the interviewees were in business casual and the other half, including me, were in business formal. The general rule I have heard about Fuqua interviews is: wear what makes you most comfortable (emotionally, physically, etc.).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Send PM
I have a question: By being invited to interview at Duke, does that mean we have already crossed all the stats based hurdles? (Gmat, GPA etc). I am a low GPA candidate who's been invited to interview. So was wondering if just demonstrating fit at the interview meant i would get admission.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
hselika wrote:
I have a question: By being invited to interview at Duke, does that mean we have already crossed all the stats based hurdles? (Gmat, GPA etc). I am a low GPA candidate who's been invited to interview. So was wondering if just demonstrating fit at the interview meant i would get admission.

Sure hope so, I've got a pretty low GMAT myself so I'm hoping at this point it's more about the fit with the school and demonstrating your speaking and people skills.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
I think the interview is one aspect of the overall application package - fit is probably one of many evaluation metrics. A stellar candidate may not get dinged just because of a poor showing on an interview. A borderline candidate may get ding with a mediocre interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GRE 1: Q770 V580
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Consumer Products)
Send PM
jontron wrote:
Not to give false hope, but applicants that were not invited to interview are not outright dinged. There is still the chance that you can be waitlisted. In fact, I was a R2 applicant last year that did not receive an invitation to interview during the second round. In R3 decisions, my status changed to "Invited to Interview" and I interviewed in that round and was waitlisted until the Summer orientation started.

I reapplied this year as an EA applicant and I am admitted for the class of 2015! Moral of the story? Don't give up!

To those who got good news today, congrats! Be careful when you visit campus for your interviews, you will most likely fall in love with the campus and the more importantly, the people.

Go Team Fuqua!

hi, Uhmm... so how does WL work? your interview status changed in the following round and you interviewed. If you don't get final decision by summer orientation, you have to take that as a No and reapply?
I thought if you were wailisted, you would hear the decision in the corresponding term whether admitted or denied.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
stihum wrote:
jontron wrote:
Not to give false hope, but applicants that were not invited to interview are not outright dinged. There is still the chance that you can be waitlisted. In fact, I was a R2 applicant last year that did not receive an invitation to interview during the second round. In R3 decisions, my status changed to "Invited to Interview" and I interviewed in that round and was waitlisted until the Summer orientation started.

I reapplied this year as an EA applicant and I am admitted for the class of 2015! Moral of the story? Don't give up!

To those who got good news today, congrats! Be careful when you visit campus for your interviews, you will most likely fall in love with the campus and the more importantly, the people.

Go Team Fuqua!

hi, Uhmm... so how does WL work? your interview status changed in the following round and you interviewed. If you don't get final decision by summer orientation, you have to take that as a No and reapply?
I thought if you were wailisted, you would hear the decision in the corresponding term whether admitted or denied.

My previous post on page 19 of this thread (duke-fuqua-2013-calling-all-applicants-134412-360.html#p1135273) gives a fairly detailed overview of the WL process (also reposted below).

aerien wrote:
For R1, you'll either be invited or not invited to interview on Nov 28.

Then on decision day in January you'll find out if you were accepted (for those who interviewed) or if you're waitlisted/rejected (for both those who interviewed AND for those not invited to interview in Nov).

If you're WL in January and have already interviewed, you wait until you get a decision - either during the R2/R3 decision dates or later on anytime in the summer.

If you were WL without interview on the January decision date, then you can be invited to interview on the R2 invite day. You can also not be invited again and then you'll have to wait until the R2 decision date to see if you remain on the waitlist or if you're rejected.

Continue the pattern for R3.

While you can submit additional information anytime after you're WL, you will only receive status updates on the invite or decision dates, unless it's after R3/the summer months as all the official deadline dates would have already passed by then.

Hope that helps!

Originally posted by aerien on 03 Dec 2012, 11:53.
Last edited by aerien on 03 Dec 2012, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Updated link
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
I'm planning to apply in R2 (January) and torn between visiting the campus in the month of Dec before I submit the application and waiting for an interview invite.

Can anyone (esp. current students and re-applicants) please weigh in on how Fuqua views the campus vists? Do they carry a lot of weight from the adcom's perspective?

In terms of knowing the school, I am in touch with two of my college alums who are current students at Fuqua and I also know few alums who I'm planning to talk to extensively as I frame my essays this month. I know visiting the campus is a different experience but trying to see if that adds value to my application at this point. Suggestions are welcome :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
stihum wrote:
jontron wrote:

Go Team Fuqua!

Here was my process:

Applied R2
On R2 Interview Invite: Not Invited
On R2 Decision Date: Waitlisted with Interview
On R3 Interview Invite: Invited
On R3 Decision Date: Waitlisted

And then I was on Waitlist until the first day of the Summer Orientation (which for WL applicants, is a good sign because it usually means you are good but there just isn't enough space). I took this signal in hand and then applied EA for Class of 2015. From the time I was taken off the WL (Aug 1 or something), it was only about 6 weeks until EA apps were due on Sept. 19. While on the WL however, I received a significant promotion, raise, and took two classes at UCLA extension (Mathematics for Management and Business Economics) to provide an alternative transcript, I don't know how much that helped though.

Another note is that while I was on the WL, I sent an update letter mentioning the raise and promotion and got another letter of recommendation sent in. All of this was in hopes of getting off the WL and matriculating with the class of 2014 but it didn't happen. It did signal strong interest from me that Duke was my top choice throughout 2012 so it helped with my overall story.

For more information, I followed this thread closely: /forum/calling-all-duke-2011-fuqua-applicants-94420-2440.html (add the gmatclub domain since I cannot post links. Mods, please remove if this is against policy, I am trying to be helpful. Readers, start from page 123 as the posts are now in May and the overall conversation shifts from accepted applicants to waitlist applicants.)

Originally posted by jontron on 03 Dec 2012, 13:29.
Last edited by jontron on 03 Dec 2012, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MoKi wrote:
I'm planning to apply in R2 (January) and torn between visiting the campus in the month of Dec before I submit the application and waiting for an interview invite.

Can anyone (esp. current students and re-applicants) please weigh in on how Fuqua views the campus vists? Do they carry a lot of weight from the adcom's perspective?

In terms of knowing the school, I am in touch with two of my college alums who are current students at Fuqua and I also know few alums who I'm planning to talk to extensively as I frame my essays this month. I know visiting the campus is a different experience but trying to see if that adds value to my application at this point. Suggestions are welcome :)

Moki, the answer to this really depends on where you are currently at. If you are already close to the campus, it seems like visiting would be a no brainer and it will just be a matter of timing. If you are much further (such as on the West Coast or even international), it would be really hard to justify a visit "just because". You are already outside the open interview period so if you make a class visit now, you would have to make another one when you get invited to interview.

Also, class visits now might be limited since after Dec. 11, the school is on Winter Break. I'm not sure you will get the experience you are looking for if you visit after then. Even if you visit the week of Dec 3 to Dec 11 (basically this week), class visits may not host non-interviewees since you have to reserve class visits through the system. You might want to double check with the admissions office for this.

However, I know everyone's financial and travel flexibility varies so ultimately it is up to you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
jontron wrote:
Moki, the answer to this really depends on where you are currently at. If you are already close to the campus, it seems like visiting would be a no brainer and it will just be a matter of timing. If you are much further (such as on the West Coast or even international), it would be really hard to justify a visit "just because". You are already outside the open interview period so if you make a class visit now, you would have to make another one when you get invited to interview.

Also, class visits now might be limited since after Dec. 11, the school is on Winter Break. I'm not sure you will get the experience you are looking for if you visit after then. Even if you visit the week of Dec 3 to Dec 11 (basically this week), class visits may not host non-interviewees since you have to reserve class visits through the system. You might want to double check with the admissions office for this.

However, I know everyone's financial and travel flexibility varies so ultimately it is up to you.

Thanks jontron, thats makes perfect sense. I should have mentioned this earlier but I'm based out of Seattle. I wasn't able to justify a visit this month and hence wanted to get some other opinions on this.

Thanks for the info on Winter break, for some reason I thought that won't be until Dec 20th or so :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Moki, check this website out: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/events/

It shows that the list of Information Sessions that you can attend. For West Coast applicants, this is a more practical way of signaling interest than flying across the country (although it was worth every penny when I made the two trips). It shows that Dec. 10 is the closest one in SF but still, I'm not sure how practical it is. The thing is, RSVPing for the event and attending gets you a discounted application fee (it was $100 off last year, didnt get the discount when I re-applied). More proof that Duke is putting its money where its mouth is when it comes to encouraging applicants to experience Team Fuqua!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
jontron wrote:
The thing is, RSVPing for the event and attending gets you a discounted application fee (it was $100 off last year, didnt get the discount when I re-applied). More proof that Duke is putting its money where its mouth is when it comes to encouraging applicants to experience Team Fuqua!

Jontron, I got the discount when I re-applied. Your reapplication status does not affect the application fee reduction eligibility; to get the fee reduction, you have to register and attend a qualified Fuqua event (e.g., an actual information session as opposed to a generic MBA fair), input your information into the application, and receive confirmation of your fee reduction. I attended qualifying events both last year and this year, so I paid $125 for each application cycle.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aerien wrote:
jontron wrote:
The thing is, RSVPing for the event and attending gets you a discounted application fee (it was $100 off last year, didnt get the discount when I re-applied). More proof that Duke is putting its money where its mouth is when it comes to encouraging applicants to experience Team Fuqua!

Jontron, I got the discount when I re-applied. Your reapplication status does not affect the application fee reduction eligibility; to get the fee reduction, you have to register and attend a qualified Fuqua event (e.g., an actual information session as opposed to a generic MBA fair), input your information into the application, and receive confirmation of your fee reduction. I attended qualifying events both last year and this year, so I paid $125 for each application cycle.

Oops, I should have made it clear that I only attended one information session which was held during my first application. I tried to attend another one before the EA deadline as a reapplicant but adcom didn't have any Info Session scheduled for Southern California. Thanks for your added information for everyone! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 660 Q38 V42
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
So I'm interviewing next Monday. Can anyone really settle this whole suit versus business casual debate? For some reason, this is weighing on me, but I know it probably shouldn't.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
esport12 wrote:
So I'm interviewing next Monday. Can anyone really settle this whole suit versus business casual debate? For some reason, this is weighing on me, but I know it probably shouldn't.

You aren't going to get dinged if you wear business casual and you aren't guaranteed admission if you wear a suit. Wear whichever makes you comfortable. If a suit will allow your real personality to come out then certainly wear that, vice versa.

For me, this was a business school interview and I dressed in a suit because it made me most comfortable. At the end of the day, the best tip I've come across was "You want to be remembered for what you say and how you conduct yourself, not by what you wear." I think that saying holds true for both suit and business casual.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
esport12 wrote:

Check out my post on the previous page. In short, go with your gut.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Can anyone share its interview experience please? I am having mine this Friday!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  28   29   30   31   32   33   34  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts