Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I interviewed during the open period. I wore dress slacks, a sport jacket (not a blue blazer) and tie - something more than business casual, but not a full suit. I was going to wear a suit, but my friend who is a first year there said he wore a sport jacket and tie so figured I would too. Of the people there that day, it seemed about 80/20 suit to non-suit, as someone mentioned. Of the 20, a few people with their ties off open colar, and one or two in blue blazers. I'd probably wear a suit if I had to interview again, but by no means did I feel underdressed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I went in a suit with no tie when I interviewed. Its a great look (recently worn by Dexter villain Isaak Sirko).

To be honest I feel the only bearing a suit has, is on your level of confidence in the interview. Not a lot more.
Said differently - dress in a way that doesn't break your concentration or make you feel self-concious.
The last thing you want is to be second guessing your fashion choice throughout the interview.

As a point of calibration, when I interviewed most people were in black/dark blue suits & white shirts - very safe choices. There were no wild NBA draft suit colours like powder blue or bright red.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hey Guys, can someone help me out here? what is the difference between these courses at Fuqua? GATE, GCP and FCCP especially GCP and FCCP...I will be very happy if i could get some insight into these courses. thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
abou wrote:
Hey Guys, can someone help me out here? what is the difference between these courses at Fuqua? GATE, GCP and FCCP especially GCP and FCCP...I will be very happy if i could get some insight into these courses. thanks

Hey abou,

GCP used to refer to international experiential consulting projects whereas FCCP referred to domestic ones. In talking to students, it appears that Fuqua is now using the "FCCP" branding to refer to both domestic and internal consulting projects under one umbrella.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
abou wrote:

Hey abou,

GCP used to refer to international experiential consulting projects whereas FCCP referred to domestic ones. In talking to students, it appears that Fuqua is now using the "FCCP" branding to refer to both domestic and internal consulting projects under one umbrella.

Thanks for the clarification Kingfalcon. I was getting a bit confused because I tended to see FCCP more often rather than GCP which wasnt the case as at last year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
jontron wrote:
Moki, check this website out: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/events/

It shows that the list of Information Sessions that you can attend. For West Coast applicants, this is a more practical way of signaling interest than flying across the country (although it was worth every penny when I made the two trips). It shows that Dec. 10 is the closest one in SF but still, I'm not sure how practical it is. The thing is, RSVPing for the event and attending gets you a discounted application fee (it was $100 off last year, didnt get the discount when I re-applied). More proof that Duke is putting its money where its mouth is when it comes to encouraging applicants to experience Team Fuqua!

Never realized how close SFO can be. Thanks to you, my wife and I made a trip out of it - we decided to spend the weekend site-seeing and wrap it up with the info session on Monday. I'll also try to visit Haas while I'm there (unofficial, as their winter break starts from 12/10) just to add some color to my californian MBA dreams :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
MoKi wrote:
jontron wrote:
Moki, check this website out: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/events/

It shows that the list of Information Sessions that you can attend. For West Coast applicants, this is a more practical way of signaling interest than flying across the country (although it was worth every penny when I made the two trips). It shows that Dec. 10 is the closest one in SF but still, I'm not sure how practical it is. The thing is, RSVPing for the event and attending gets you a discounted application fee (it was $100 off last year, didnt get the discount when I re-applied). More proof that Duke is putting its money where its mouth is when it comes to encouraging applicants to experience Team Fuqua!

Never realized how close SFO can be. Thanks to you, my wife and I made a trip out of it - we decided to spend the weekend site-seeing and wrap it up with the info session on Monday. I'll also try to visit Haas while I'm there (unofficial, as their winter break starts from 12/10) just to add some color to my californian MBA dreams :)

Awesome! Your wife can also look into the Fuqua Partners (For spouses and significant others) group which is one of the huge perks that draws MBA candidates with families to Duke. I don't know too much about it yet but there is a huge community (highly active since they had representatives meet interviewees and their S.O. for individualized chats) and they really seem to support each other while the other half attends schools. Their motto even is "All the Fuqua Fun..(Minus the Homework!)". You can check them out here: (https://fuqua.campusgroups.com/partners/about-us/)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
To clear up this suit/no suit nonsense...I remember every single person I interviewed...I don't remember what any of them wore. It just doesn't matter. We know what admissions guidelines are and expect that they're followed...nothing more, nothing less.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Hey guys, is anyone here flying in tomorrow?? I'm flying in to Charlotte tomorrow morning and driving to Durham to do FF. My actual interview is on Sat.
Director
Director
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
Hey guys, is anyone here flying in tomorrow?? I'm flying in to Charlotte tomorrow morning and driving to Durham to do FF. My actual interview is on Sat.

The Wife and I are flying in tomorrow night into RDU, not landing till midnight though :-/ no FF for us. I'm also interviewing on Sat, hopefully something unofficial is going on that night.
Director
Director
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

The Wife and I are flying in tomorrow night into RDU, not landing till midnight though :-/ no FF for us. I'm also interviewing on Sat, hopefully something unofficial is going on that night.

Hmm... Saturday night in a college town... I bet something will be going on! :lol:
Director
Director
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

Hmm... Saturday night in a college town... I bet something will be going on! :lol:

Aww, I just noticed Duke has a home game sat afternoon... but they're playing it in Jersey, boooo. Ah well, atleast parking will be a bit better...

Are there any specific bars or resturants to check out while we're in the area??
Director
Director
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:

Aww, I just noticed Duke has a home game sat afternoon... but they're playing it in Jersey, boooo. Ah well, atleast parking will be a bit better...

Are there any specific bars or resturants to check out while we're in the area??

Lots of students, past and present, told me to check out Shooters. I wasn't able to make it, but I hear it's a good time (although perhaps not wife friendly!).
Director
Director
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Lots of students, past and present, told me to check out Shooters. I wasn't able to make it, but I hear it's a good time (although perhaps not wife friendly!).

haha, I've heard stories about shooters, but figured it was more of an undergrad hangout... ha... Maybe not on this trip, but If I get in, I'll definitely check it out, and feel waaay too old to be there. (I've tried going back to my undergrad hangouts... just not the same)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
highwyre237 wrote:

Doesn't that mean it's an away game? :P Nevertheless, hope your interview went well today!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
I had my interview on Friday. The interviewer asked standard questions. However, I felt that the emphasis was more on Why Fuqua, What will I do there and my personality rather than my post MBA goals. Interview went ok, I could have answered some questions better. So, a little anxious.
Director
Director
Send PM
aerien wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Doesn't that mean it's an away game? :P Nevertheless, hope your interview went well today!

lol, would make sense, but no. Technically a home game, but played on neutral territory

My interview went well, I feel like I could have answered a few questions a bit better, but I had a great connection with my interviewer. I can't wait until decision day!

Originally posted by highwyre237 on 08 Dec 2012, 19:51.
Last edited by highwyre237 on 11 Dec 2012, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  29   30   31   32   33   34   35  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts