Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
clomps wrote:

Oh, btw. Round 1 applicants: my interviewer told me to stay up late on December 18th because the decisions go out at 12:01 a.m. on the 19th. I'm assuming that's Eastern time.

Bah - that's not an option for me. I guess I'll have to find out at 5AM on the 19th. :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V50
GPA: 3.92
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
clomps wrote:

Oh, btw. Round 1 applicants: my interviewer told me to stay up late on December 18th because the decisions go out at 12:01 a.m. on the 19th. I'm assuming that's Eastern time.

Bah - that's not an option for me. I guess I'll have to find out at 5AM on the 19th. :P

I don't know why adcom's insist on playing this game (I guess it's cover in case they do not have time to call all the admitted applicants). If you are accepted you will get a call (in Darden's case the day before the deadline, judging by last years experience). If you haven't heard by 5PM EST on the 18th, you'll know you the answer before they post it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
LSnyder876 wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
clomps wrote:

I don't know why adcom's insist on playing this game (I guess it's cover in case they do not have time to call all the admitted applicants). If you are accepted you will get a call (in Darden's case the day before the deadline, judging by last years experience). If you haven't heard by 5PM EST on the 18th, you'll know you the answer before they post it.

While I largely agree with this, I was talking to two friends if mine that are at Darden now. They were called on the 19th and one late in the day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
According to this site and Beat the GMAT, only about 25% of applicants have received interviews. this seems kind of low considering ~50% is typical for Darden. with 9 business days left before deadline I doubt the adcoms will be inviting and interviewing another 25% of the applicant pool.

did they just reduce the number of interview invites this year?
Director
Director
Send PM
Bennybob wrote:
According to this site and Beat the GMAT, only about 25% of applicants have received interviews. this seems kind of low considering ~50% is typical for Darden.

Take these numbers with a grain of salt...hell...take it with the whole shaker. Not all applicants use BTG and GMAT Club, so you're looking at a tiny sample that isn't indicative of the entire applicant pool.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bennybob wrote:
According to this site and Beat the GMAT, only about 25% of applicants have received interviews. this seems kind of low considering ~50% is typical for Darden. with 9 business days left before deadline I doubt the adcoms will be inviting and interviewing another 25% of the applicant pool.

did they just reduce the number of interview invites this year?

I think at this stage of the game there are a lot of people who haven't updated their status. If you look closer at BTG, of the 266 Round 1 "Applicants," only 118 have marked their application as submitted, of those 70 were invited to interview. 70/118 would be 59%, so the real number may be right around 50% this year still.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
As a low-income Latino small business owner applying to UVA via the Consortium, I almost had to decline the opportunity to interview on campus as it was outside my financial means. That said, no other school has impressed quite like Darden has by understanding my situation so well to allow me to still pursue a Round 1 decision timetable in a way where last minute flight expenses aren’t incurred.

Traveling from Houston, TX, I also want to be able to sit in on class during my campus interview visit. Thus, the plan is to make travel arrangements for late January. Presently, looking for advice on what my most cost effective travel and hotel accommodations. Any advice would very much be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
rrossjd wrote:
As a low-income Latino small business owner applying to UVA via the Consortium, I almost had to decline the opportunity to interview on campus as it was outside my financial means. That said, no other school has impressed quite like Darden has by understanding my situation so well to allow me to still pursue a Round 1 decision timetable in a way where last minute flight expenses aren’t incurred.

Traveling from Houston, TX, I also want to be able to sit in on class during my campus interview visit. Thus, the plan is to make travel arrangements for late January. Presently, looking for advice on what my most cost effective travel and hotel accommodations. Any advice would very much be appreciated.

I stayed at the Cavalier Inn for my interview visit. Its about 6 blocks away from campus and offered free shuttle service to and from the charlottesville airport. Its a great way to avoid having to purchase a rental car.
Director
Director
Send PM
Bennybob wrote:
rrossjd wrote:

I stayed at the Cavalier Inn for my interview visit. Its about 6 blocks away from campus and offered free shuttle service to and from the charlottesville airport. Its a great way to avoid having to purchase a rental car.

I stayed at the Inn at Darden. It's where the Executive Education guys stay and is right next to the business school. Breakfast is included, and if you call them and tell them you're a prospective student, you'll get a rate of $85. Nice rooms too.

https://www.innatdarden.com/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Bennybob wrote:
rrossjd wrote:

I stayed at the Inn at Darden. It's where the Executive Education guys stay and is right next to the business school. Breakfast is included, and if you call them and tell them you're a prospective student, you'll get a rate of $85. Nice rooms too.

https://www.innatdarden.com/

Another--albeit, less convenient--option is to fly into Richmond or even DCA. It was cheaper for me to fly into DCA and get a rental car for my stay than fly into Charlottesville (and that's including a surcharge on the rental since I'm under 25). The drive from DCA to Charlottesville is only about 2.5 hours and it's BEAUTIFUL (wine country, rolling hills, and cute farms) and traffic is very minimal if you avoid rush hour times. Even better, Richmond is only about an hour away and again, flights are generally cheaper.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I also stayed at the Inn at Darden. With the prospective student rate, I don' think you can find a better option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hmmm........... for Round 1 applicants who still haven't received any interview invite, looks like game is over.

Even though Darden says they keep inviting for interview till the last weekend.

Any internationals who are interviewing around this time ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Several of my friends applying to schools last year said that the people who wrote their recommendations got a phone call to verify their identity/position etc. Has anyone heard from any of their recommendors that they received a call yet? Do schools always do this and at what point in the process?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
olivia783 wrote:
Several of my friends applying to schools last year said that the people who wrote their recommendations got a phone call to verify their identity/position etc. Has anyone heard from any of their recommendors that they received a call yet? Do schools always do this and at what point in the process?

Would surely like to know more on this.

Btw, why don't you ask those 'several of your friends' ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
So, I guess thats the end of the tunnel for those who applied R1 and haven't heard from Darden yet?! :?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dreamchase wrote:
olivia783 wrote:

I know I've heard about some (but not all) schools using an independent background check on their accepted applicants. They have to pay someone to do this, so it wouldn't be until after you are admitted (no point in checking credentials that weren't good enough anyway). When I've seen this discussed before schools were pretty tight-lipped about what they are checking, but you can expect someone might call to verify your employment history, the existence of your recommendors, your academic record, and any very prestigious awards positions you may cite in your application. They don't have the time to nitpick, as long as you were generally truthful in your application you have nothing to worry about.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LSnyder876 wrote:
dreamchase wrote:
olivia783 wrote:

I know I've heard about some (but not all) schools using an independent background check on their accepted applicants. They have to pay someone to do this, so it wouldn't be until after you are admitted (no point in checking credentials that weren't good enough anyway). When I've seen this discussed before schools were pretty tight-lipped about what they are checking, but you can expect someone might call to verify your employment history, the existence of your recommendors, your academic record, and any very prestigious awards positions you may cite in your application. They don't have the time to nitpick, as long as you were generally truthful in your application you have nothing to worry about.

I thought they called to verify recommenders before they accepted you - so I was worried that they hadn't checked me yet
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  40   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts