Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [7]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.25
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4053 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Re: Dereck and Sons sells pigments in 4 regions. The data presented in the [#permalink]
Hey Shalabh,
This is an excellent analysis.. :) Kudos man..!!

Would like to see more of these type of qs. from e-GMAT to keep us motivated in the process..Please fire the bullets.

One question related to your analysis : Can we apply the method of 1st slot shortlisting for all qs. of this type in GMAT ?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [1]
Send PM
Re: Dereck and Sons sells pigments in 4 regions. The data presented in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
debayan222 wrote:
Hey Shalabh,

Would like to see more of these type of qs. from e-GMAT to keep us motivated in the process..Please fire the bullets.

One question related to your analysis : Can we apply the method of 1st slot shortlisting for all qs. of this type in GMAT ?

Thank you Debayan for appreciating. We will keep posting more & more questions on IR. Recently, we posted an MSR question. Have a look at it.

Coming to your query. I will say YES, we must shortlist possible 1-3 contenders out of 4-6 option choices. In most of the questions, this strategy can be applied.

-Shalabh
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4053 [0]
Send PM
egmat wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hey Shalabh,

Thank you Debayan for appreciating. We will keep posting more & more questions on IR. Recently, we posted an MSR question. Have a look at it.

Coming to your query. I will say YES, we must shortlist possible 1-3 contenders out of 4-6 option choices. In most of the questions, this strategy can be applied.

-Shalabh

Thanks Shalabh.. :)

Can you please share the link of your new IR post ? Appreciate your help as always..!

--------------------------------------
And btw, how do we get to know about or can keep track on e-GMAT's posts in both verbal and IR ? Is there any way to fire a trigger as soon as there is new post on the forum from you guys..any idea ?
@bb/Souvik : Would request your inputs also on this.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
debayan222 wrote:
egmat wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hey Shalabh,

-Shalabh

Thanks Shalabh.. :)

Can you please share the link of your new IR post ? Appreciate your help as always..!

--------------------------------------
And btw, how do we get to know about or can keep track on e-GMAT's posts in both verbal and IR ? Is there any way to fire a trigger as soon as there is new post on the forum from you guys..any idea ?
@bb/Souvik : Would request your inputs also on this.

hi Debayayn,

Thank you for appreciating our work. I think you have not tried following questions.

what-you-choose-is-what-you-weigh-143895.html

multi-source-reasoning-question-advertising-channels-143952.html

I wish to ask you if you have gone through our free trial. Did you like it? What's your feedback?

Pl. wait for a tricky 2 part question today.

-Shalabh :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4053 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Shalabh,
Thanks for sharing the link..I'll get back to you once I go through these. :)
But I'm afraid that MSR link is not accessible from my side.I don't understand what's the issue is... :( It's opening in a blank page after clicking on it.

And I've not gone through the trial yet but soon will check it out and share my feedback...BTW, I know it'll be great like your posts so please keep posting such wonderful topics in IR also to help us stay motivated :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Question 1 :
------------
- Picked Mar and Nov based on the low average.
- Avg diff Mar - Nov = 50
- Eye ball Mar reg 1, reg 2 avg = 1800
- Eye ball Nov reg 1, reg 2 avg = 1975

- Nov sales of other 2 regions have to bring down 475 points (from 1975 to 1500)
- Mar sales of other 2 regions have to bring down 350 points (from 1800 to 1450)
Nov drop - initial avg diff > Mar drop
475-50 > 350 = 375 > 350

So Nov is the answer.

Question 2:
-----------
- Eye ball avg of Jun reg1,2 = ~1700+
- For 1700+ to drop to 1500, the avg of other 2 reg sales must be at 200+ less than 1500 (let's say ~1300-)
- So the sum must be ~2600-

The closest answer is c) 2550

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hello friends,

Indeed the answers for Q1 is November, & for Q2 is $2550 M.

Let us understand the time management aspect of GMAT IR. You need to attempt 12 questions in 30 minutes. This means on an average 2.5 minute per dataset!

As far as second part of the question is concerned, it is quite obvious that one will have to calculate the numerical value of sales for other 2 regions with the application of formula- '4 times average minus sum of region 1 and region 2'. However, when it comes to first part of the question, there are 5 months to consider for probable answers- March, June, July, August, & November.

It is not advisable to calculate the values of other 2 regions' sales for all 5 months. We can simply observe the graph, & eliminate few months as probable answer.

Let's understand our objective. We have to minimize 4*Average sales - Region 1 sales - Region 2 sales. This leads to a conclusion that an ideal worst performing month would be the one whose Average sales are lowest & Region 1 & 2 sales are the highest among all option months.

Well, there is no ideal month present in the graph, whose Average sales are lowest & Region 1 & 2 sales are the highest as well.

Because Lowest Average sales month - March;
Highest Region 1 sales month - November;
Highest Region 2 sales month- November.

The shortlisted options would be March, & November only. We can discard other 3 months, as they do not qualify. Pl. see the analysis.

June & July months are disqualified because their region 2 sales are the lowest among all months. It will not help minimize regions 3 & 4 sales. Similarly, August month is also disqualified because its region 1 & 2 sales are at mediocre level. Again, it will not help minimize regions 3 & 4 sales. So we discard these months.

Now can we zero in on March or November without calculating numerical values of regions 3 & 4 sales?

Let's look at our findings again for March & November months.
While November month has 2 positive factors - Highest Region 1 & 2 sales, March month has only one positive factor - Lowest Average sales.
So can we discard March vis-a-vis November now?

Well not really! And the reason is that the weight of Average sales is 4 times that of region 1 or 2 sales in the formula.

So there are 2 approaches to conclude March or November as an answer.

Approach 1:- Observe the graph again & look for 4 times the gain on account of Average sales for the month of March Vs. the gain on account of Region 1 & 2 sales for the month of November.

March:- Gain of 1/2 scale over November. So 4 times gain would be '4*1/2 scale = 2 scale'.
November:- Gain of 3 scale over March for region 1, & gain of 1/2 scale over March for region 2. So collectively total gain of 3.5 scale over March.

So it is obvious that Total gain of November over March is more, hence November month is the answer.

Approach 2:- You better calculate the sales values for March & November. Here it is.

Region 3 & 4 sales for November = 4*1500 - 2000-1950 = $2050 M
Region 3 & 4 sales for November = 4*1450 - 1700-1900 = $2200 M. .

So clearly the answer is November month.

Should you wish to see interactive audio-visual solution to this question, pl. visit e-GMAT free trial.

Regards!

Shalabh Jain

Hi Shalabh,
Shouldn't the highest sales month for region 2 be May?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92875 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11161 posts