Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [207]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [30]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [14]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Send PM
Re: Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Thanks for the praise Sri. I am glad you like the article. We will provide the answer in a day once we receive a few more responses.

-Rajat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4922 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
QUESTION 1:
In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s, two Swiss psychologists, declaring that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size, none could be taken seriously.

Structure and Meaning: Sentence says that these two Swiss psychologists did review of 2000 studies and declared that most of the studies had failed for some reason and hence none could be taken seriously.
Break up of sentence
In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s: Modifier
two Swiss psychologists : Modified entity
declaring that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size:
declaring is wrong usage here. It should be declared. “That” works as connector here. Second Clause has SV pair
Subject: Studies, Verb: had failed
Error: Incorrect verb usage.

QUESTION 2
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.
Meaning: Alexander Pope took seven years for completing of Iliad and his contemporary (Samuel Johnson) pronounced the Iliad the greatest translation in any language.

Break up of Sentence
Clause 1 - In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion
Clause 2 - and that literary critic Samuel Johnson Pope’s contemporary pronounced the greatest translation in any language
Two independent clauses are connected by connector and
SV Pair exist in first clause. S- Alexandar V- began
SV par exist in second clause. S- Samuel V-pronounced
Error- modifier is wrong. A work that took him seven years until completion is right usage
"That" works as connector here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I have some issues in these question, kindly help me understand it..

In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s, two Swiss psychologists, declaring that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size, none could be taken seriously.

1. First usage of that - that date back to the 1940s.. here that is acting as subject for date back to the 1940s and is referring to "In review of 2000 studies of human behavior" is singular, Date which is a verb should be singular. Am i correct ??
2. Unable to understand the different usage of "," comma. How does that affect the sentence structure and modifiers.

Different SV pairs -
1. that date back to the 1940s
2. two Swiss psychologists, declaring that since - here verb should be past tense "declared" , declaring is the present participle not the verb it should be followed by "were".
3. None could be taken seriously .. here none is subject referring to Studies and verb is taken

2. In 1713, Alexander Pope began [u]his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced
the greatest translation in any language.

SV pairs
1. Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad - Subject - Alexander, Verb - Began -- This is the main clause of the sentence
2. a work that, taking him seven years until completion - Subject - That which is referring to a Work (Singular), Verb - Taking, this is in participle form and is not a verb. Here " took " should be used as work is completed and therefore should be past tense.
In this i am little confused .. is it the work that took seven years or Alexander took seven years to complete the work until completion.
3. that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced
- Subject - that which is referring to "translation of the Iliad", verb - Pronounced...

In this question, i am unable to understand why "a work that" is used
Is there any difference in meaning if i structure the sentence like this
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, that took him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language -- here that is referring to translation of the iliad

Also could you please again explain the usage of "comma" in the original sentence

Thanks

Ashish
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Bookmarks
ashg84 wrote:
Hi,

1. First usage of that - that date back to the 1940s.. here that is acting as subject for date back to the 1940s and is referring to "In review of 2000 studies of human behavior" is singular, Date which is a verb should be singular. Am i correct ??
I think here that refers to the "2000 Studies"

2. Unable to understand the different usage of "," comma. How does that affect the sentence structure and modifiers.
, ing-modifier modifies the preceding clause.
Different SV pairs -
2. two Swiss psychologists, declaring that since - here verb should be past tense "declared" , declaring is the present participle not the verb it should be followed by "were". -ing modifier is not a verb so we need a verb and ie declared.
3. None could be taken seriously .. here none is subject referring to Studies and verb is taken

2. In 1713, Alexander Pope began [u]his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced

SV pairs
1. Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad - Subject - Alexander, Verb - Began -- This is the main clause of the sentence
2. a work that, taking him seven years until completion - Subject - That which is referring to a Work (Singular), Verb - Taking, this is in participle form and is not a verb. Here " took " should be used as work is completed and therefore should be past tense.
In this i am little confused .. is it the work that took seven years or Alexander took seven years to complete the work until completion. "a work" is a noun modifier and it is modifying "translation of Iliad"
- Subject - that which is referring to "translation of the Iliad", verb - Pronounced...

In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, that took him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language -- here that is referring to translation of the iliad
Here that is modifying Iliad and this will change the meaning - Iliad itself can not take 7 years to complete.

Also could you please again explain the usage of "comma" in the original sentence

here , and is used to make parallelism, a work that took......., and that ........

Thanks

Ashish

I am not an expert. I just wanted to help with my understanding. Experts can provide more details for sure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
EXERCISE

For the sentences below, do the following:
1. Identify all SV pairs in the sentence above.
2. Is there any problem with the sentence with regards to the SV pairs?
3. How will you correct the error?

QUESTION 1:

1. In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s - That refers to 2000 studies and acts as subject in " that date back to the 1940s" SV Pair: That date back
2. two Swiss psychologists, declaring that - declaring is not verb, so we need to change it to declared. SV Pair: two Swiss psychologists declared.
3. that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size. That acts as a connector. SV Pair: most of the studies had failed
4. none could be taken seriously. SV Pair: none could be taken

QUESTION 2
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.
1. In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, SV Pair : Alexander Pope began
2. a work that, taking him seven years until completion - that refers to the work ie translation of Iliad. taking is not a verb so we need to change it to took.
3. and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language. - that refers to the work ie translation of Iliad. SV Pair: Samuel Johnson pronounced
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
srikirs007 wrote:
Another great article from you Payal. Just so you know, I have signed up for e-GMAT verbal prep online even though I am already registered at GMATPill.

QUESTION 1:

In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s
two Swiss psychologists, declaring that (It should be declared since taken below in past)
since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size (had failed looks good)
none could be taken seriously.

QUESTION 2
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronouncedthe greatest translation in any language.

In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad,
a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and ( it should be took instead of taking)
that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.

@srikirs007 - great first attempt - While you were able to spot the errors in both sentences, I would have liked to see some more simplification of the clauses. Please see the sentence structure above and see how you could have simplified them better. :) As you get in the practice of breaking down the structure of the sentence, you will see how all the interrelationships start to flow in front of your eyes. It would be difficult for things to hide from you :) How much SC course have you done so far. Make sure you practice the prescribed OG questions after every application file. Good luck!!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
udaymathapati wrote:
QUESTION 1:

Structure and Meaning: Sentence says that these two Swiss psychologists did review of 2000 studies and declared that most of the studies had failed for some reason and hence none could be taken seriously.
Break up of sentence
In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s: Modifier
two Swiss psychologists : Modified entity
declaring that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size:
declaring is wrong usage here. It should be declared. “That” works as connector here. Second Clause has SV pair
Subject: Studies, Verb: had failed
Error: Incorrect verb usage.

QUESTION 2
Meaning: Alexander Pope took seven years for completing of Iliad and his contemporary (Samuel Johnson) pronounced the Iliad the greatest translation in any language.

Break up of Sentence
Clause 1 - In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion
Clause 2 - and that literary critic Samuel Johnson Pope’s contemporary pronounced the greatest translation in any language
Two independent clauses are connected by connector and
SV Pair exist in first clause. S- Alexandar V- began
SV par exist in second clause. S- Samuel V-pronounced
Error- modifier is wrong. A work that took him seven years until completion is right usage
"That" works as connector here.

@udaymathapati- I am glad that you posted your analysis of meaning as well. Great!
Now as far as sentence structure goes, you have spotted the modified entities and modifiers. This is good. But I would have wanted to see more of clause structure as the first step and then modifier analysis. Please see the way I have done in the article and the solution of the exercise.
For second sentence, the meaning analysis is slightly weak. Note carefully that Pope did not complete Iliad. He began and completed the TRANSLATION of Iliad. This is a very important distinction in this sentence. Here the modifier "a work" modifies the complete noun phrase - translation of Iliad. Also, note the two usages of "that" in this sentence as I have explained in the solution.

But overall great attempt. Keep up the focus on meaning and sentence structure!!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashg84 wrote:
Hi,

Different SV pairs -
2. two Swiss psychologists, declaring that since - here verb should be past tense "declared" , declaring is the present participle not the verb it should be followed by "were".

SV pairs
In this i am little confused .. is it the work that took seven years or Alexander took seven years to complete the work until completion.

Thanks

Ashish

Ashish, great attempt and good questions. I especially like the modifier question - "a work that" vs "that". I see that @sourh7wk has made a good attempt at addressing your doubt. Please let me know if you have any more doubts about this one, especially the modifier question pertaining to sentence 2. I want to make sure that you understand the distinction between the two - grammatically both modifiers are fine. They both modify noun entities. But the difference is in terms of logically what makes sense as modified entity and hence the appropriate use of modifier is required.

Also as far the comma goes - there should not be any comma between the subject and the verb here. The incorrect choice (choice A) has a comma between as follows - psychologists, declaring - but clearly when we correct this sentence we will change "declaring" to "declared" and we will remove the comma. I hope this is what you were confused about. Let me know if I misunderstood your confusion. :)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
SOURH7WK wrote:
EXERCISE

For the sentences below, do the following:
1. Identify all SV pairs in the sentence above.
2. Is there any problem with the sentence with regards to the SV pairs?
3. How will you correct the error?

QUESTION 1:

1. In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s - That refers to 2000 studies and acts as subject in " that date back to the 1940s" SV Pair: That date back
2. two Swiss psychologists, declaring that - declaring is not verb, so we need to change it to declared. SV Pair: two Swiss psychologists declared.
3. that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size. That acts as a connector. SV Pair: most of the studies had failed
4. none could be taken seriously. SV Pair: none could be taken

QUESTION 2
1. In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, SV Pair : Alexander Pope began
2. a work that, taking him seven years until completion - that refers to the work ie translation of Iliad. taking is not a verb so we need to change it to took.
3. and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language. - that refers to the work ie translation of Iliad. SV Pair: Samuel Johnson pronounced

@sourh7wk - Perfect response. This is what I was looking for. And great job clarifying the doubts above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [0]
Send PM
Hi e-gmat team.
Sentence 1 is a pretty long complex sentence. I was trying to find which one is independent & which one is dependent clause. But I am a bit confused. Need help to identify:

1. In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s
2. two Swiss psychologists declared
3. that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size
4. none could be taken seriously.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
I would like to analyse these sentences here.

E- gmat team kindly clarify please:

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued -- D.C
that
many biological traits are not the products of natural selection,->I.C
favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments. ->modifier

So Over all

I.C ,modifier

The government predicts [-- dependant clause
that,
for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls, ] - Modifier
the Federal Communications Commission’s recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs, - Independent clause
though some consumer groups disagree with the government’s estimates, Dependant clause
suggesting they are too optimistic. - ing modiifer

My understanding is this
{D.C ,that ,(modifier), IC, D.C, ing modifier }
The part in bold above becomes a I.C
So the final equation becomes

I.C,D.C, -ing modifier.

Is this correct ?

My doubt is this :
In the examples you have quoted above
Quote:
Mary claims that she won several awards in her high school.

Mary claims (dependant clause)
that
she won several awards in her high school. ( Independant)
I hope this is right.

Can you please clarify the parts in Bold and underlined.I'm really confused about such complex sentences
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Here is my reply without looking at the OR:

QUESTION 1:

QUESTION 2

Question 1:
In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s (
- studies of human behavior (Sub); that date back (verb phrase)
declaring that - should be declared that (that is used as a connecting phrase)

Question 2:
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad
- AP (subject); began (v)
a work that - connecting phrase
taking him seven years until completion - too him
and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.

Both questions also use parallelism and modifiers.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [4]
Send PM
Kudos