Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink]
Has any Indian made it to Rice?
On the Indian forum no one has reported an admit.
Here also I do not see any Indian admit!! Anyone out there?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Would be applying to Rice in R2. Thought that Rice is a safe school but after looking at some dings would have to think about the school carefully.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V31
GPA: 2.43
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Congratulation to every one admitted. And best hope for R2 those decliened.

Hi rrossjd, thank you for sharing the story and the info early in this thread. And as a big sports fan, hope be your classmates next fall.

rrossjd wrote:
To all those posting of scholarship offers communicated alongside your decision results, I owe an immeasurable debt of gratitude. By sharing your gpa/ gmat/ work profiles, you’re really helping me make more informed decisions about my future. It's my first time with a 730 and 3.63, not wanting to put out so easily.

In a heartbeat, I’d have put down the deposit to attend Jones but for the new info communicated in this forum setting. To those passed upon by Jones, take inspiration in my story. Declined by Rice via an early decision app with low SATs scores and a non-honors hs gpa, I went onto graduate magna from Vanderbilt.

Like Vandy, Emory Law saw beyond my 59th percentile LSAT score. Now a Texas attorney with a 96th percentile GMAT result, I am what so many schools want but was too stupid to see it until now. For anybody not getting into Jones, I’ll gladly be the help never present in my past. Just send me a private message.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Aimhigh2012 wrote:

Hey Aimhigh2012 , I am in Indian - Male , made it to Rice with a generous scholarship .
And I see you made to McCombs... Congratulations !!!
Any other school decisions awaited ? Or have you made you decision?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has any of the Indian applicant used some grade conversion services mentioned on the Rice Website
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jimmy86 wrote:
Aimhigh2012 wrote:

Hey Aimhigh2012 , I am in Indian - Male , made it to Rice with a generous scholarship .
And I see you made to McCombs... Congratulations !!!
Any other school decisions awaited ? Or have you made you decision?

Well for me McCombs it is. It was always my first choice :-D .
So it is where I am headed now.
What about you? Still waiting to hear from other schools or Rice is Final?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Just curious, how's Rice MBA in terms of management consulting. I am currently working as a chemical engineering in the O&G industry with 4 yrs of experience in Houston. My company will pay 50-75% of my MBA tuition and I want to eventually work my way within management in my company and get into management consulting after a while. Will I be able to get a job in companies such as McKinsey & Co., Booz, BCG, Bain,etc.?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
crackHSW wrote:
Has any of the Indian applicant used some grade conversion services mentioned on the Rice Website

I did
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [3]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GRE 1: Q740 V640
GPA: 3.7
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
chestud13 wrote:
Just curious, how's Rice MBA in terms of management consulting. I am currently working as a chemical engineering in the O&G industry with 4 yrs of experience in Houston. My company will pay 50-75% of my MBA tuition and I want to eventually work my way within management in my company and get into management consulting after a while. Will I be able to get a job in companies such as McKinsey & Co., Booz, BCG, Bain,etc.?

That isn't a traditional route to break into management consulting and you certainly won't be limited with a degree from RIce. A mentor of mine (who has a PhD from a regional school and no degrees from Wharton or Harvard) currently works for Booz. He obtained that job through networking and a bit of luck. Essentially, he was a unicorn and had all the right experiences for a major project and that's how he landed on the bus.

A more common method is to be recruited by an MC firm straight out of B school. In this respect Rice may be limiting for the companies you mention; however, the Employment reports from the last two years indicate that there were placements at McKinsey (see links). It may behoove you to find these individuals on LinkedIn and ask them if McKinsey recruits at Rice and if not how they landed their jobs. Also Kalypso, a boutique consulting firm, does recruit at Rice rather heavily.

I've been interviewing Rice alumni to determine if I should apply and I am impressed at the clever means students and career services use to get job placements. One alum I spoke with told me that the alumni network isn't limited to the Jones MBA program but they extend it to the school itself (and Rice University definitely has plenty of alumni working at major MC firms). He also told me that he crashed a specialized corporate recruitment event for under represented minority MBAs to meet with the hiring manager for his current job. Both of these can be tools for you to land a job in MC.

https://business.rice.edu/uploadedFiles/ ... Report.pdf

https://business.rice.edu/uploadedFiles/ ... Report.pdf

Please Kudos if this is helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
hi all

greetings from China!
I have an urgent inquiry
right now I am appyling in R2
I read the instructions and did not think a WES evaluation for those who did not get an 4.0 scale GPA is compulsory
so I gave up WES
now many people who got admitted said they actually request a WES
and i feel worried
is it OK if I
1)send an official trans with school signature with english translation to AO
2)Upload a copy of official transcript in the system
3)in the online application column put a 4.0 scale GPA I myself calculated according to my undergraduate school's method

I am so worried
AO is now in the long vacation
anybody could help me?
Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Does anyone know if you can submit a new GMAT score after the R2 deadline. If so where/who do you send this to? I am considering taking the test again but don't know if it's just a waste of my time.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
swgator13 wrote:
Does anyone know if you can submit a new GMAT score after the R2 deadline. If so where/who do you send this to? I am considering taking the test again but don't know if it's just a waste of my time.

You can always submit your latest GMAT score , but unfortunately as far as I am aware, one's profile for that particular round would be looked with the score one applied.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
crackHSW wrote:
swgator13 wrote:

You can always submit your latest GMAT score , but unfortunately as far as I am aware, one's profile for that particular round would be looked with the score one applied.

Thanks.

I reached out to admissions by phone and they told me the best course of action for me to take is to submit prior to R2 using my current GMAT score but make sure to state, in the "Additional Information" tab of the online application, that I plan on retaking the test on xx/xx/2013. This way the adcoms will hold my application to the side so they don't give it their final review until I send them my final score. Now obviously I can't take my sweet time here or they will bump my application to the next round but she said that as long as I can get them the info prior to the R2 decision date of 03/01 then I will be reviewed part of R2. I will probably set up the new test early enough for GMAC to send them the official scores on top of me reporting my unofficial score via email just in case and official score is required as part of the app.

This sounds unique to Rice and maybe a few other schools so I would not apply this same approach to other schools without confirming it with the school itself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Aimhigh2012 wrote:

I have made it to Rice as well as McCombs. Although the general consensus is that McCombs is better than Rice, I have found Rice to have a much more professional approach in its dealings with prospective and admitted students. The fact that McCombs is a public school while Rice is private may have played a role but quite frankly, I am not impressed with McCombs so far.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
laidmn wrote:
Aimhigh2012 wrote:

I have made it to Rice as well as McCombs. Although the general consensus is that McCombs is better than Rice, I have found Rice to have a much more professional approach in its dealings with prospective and admitted students. The fact that McCombs is a public school while Rice is private may have played a role but quite frankly, I am not impressed with McCombs so far.

Congrats man!! I hope to have your same "problem" of having to decide between the two. I have a similar attitude as you. On paper I should go to McCombs but in my gut I 'm leaning Rice. Hopefull I'll be crossing this bridge in a few months from now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
chestud13 wrote:

Congrats to all that have made it to Rice! You won't be disappointed with your career opportunities.

In regards to your question Rice is starting to place better with McKinsey. With networking you can easily get interviews with either Boston or Bain. Other consulting firms such as Deloitte, E&Y, Kalypso, Alverez and Marsel, and others regularly hire many Rice grads.

For those deciding between Rice and Texas, I would suggest going to the lower cost school. Not much difference between recruiting that I have seen. Rice is currently ranked lower but the reputation is rising fast for both IB and Consulting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
To all the Indian applicants,

What did you guys do in regards to your undergrad transcripts? Did you have to use the WES website and then report a score on a 4 scale? I scanned and uploaded my markscard copy of all my semesters and left the GPA column blank and addressed it in the additional essay. Thoughts?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  17   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts