Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:
I agree as a consultant you'll probably have a much better shot than say an engineer. My hope is that there aren't a flood of candidates for 2013 matriculation, making it harder for even qualified candidates to be accepted!

much is in the bag now I suppose. perhaps blowing them away during the interview might help, but I've heard it's somewhat of a sanity check. hopefully it'll be a way to differentiate myself from the engineering applicant pool

Yeah, Haas is one of the few schools that consulting may work in my favor. It seems every other program out there is overrun with us. I was a bit surprised to see Haas was only at 6%. I guess it makes sense since it's the Bay Area though.

I'd imagine most of the interview process is to account for admissions consultants. If you're a poor candidate that's been professionally polished, it should show in the interview. All you can do at this point is be yourself and try not to over think the questions they ask.

With the new exec program at Haas, I'd imagine this is a pretty good year for us to apply though. I had considered applying to the exec program, but the weekend one fit my schedule better.

can you elaborate on how the exec program makes it better for us part-timers? i figured now that the prestigious columbia name was dropped, more local folks would want to go to the part-time program because at least they end up with the same degree as the full-time folks. are the # of seats in the new haas exec program going to be larger perhaps?

speaking of which, are the seats increasing for the part-time program?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:

can you elaborate on how the exec program makes it better for us part-timers? i figured now that the prestigious columbia name was dropped, more local folks would want to go to the part-time program because at least they end up with the same degree as the full-time folks. are the # of seats in the new haas exec program going to be larger perhaps?

There's going to be some cannibalization from the part-time program for the exec program. The Berkeley-Columbia program required people to split their time between CA and NY. You don't have that with the new Exec program. Add that to the fact that exec programs are typically easier to get in to and this is the first year, there should be fewer applications to the part-time program. If I had the option with my schedule, I'd probably opt for the exec program since it'd theoretically be the easiest to get in to.

Yeah, the Columbia name being dropped may change things a bit, but Berkeley can certainly hold its own. Haas is a top program in its own right.

As far as I know, they're still planning on doing 4 cohorts of 60 people : Blue, Gold, Axe, and Oski. So, same number of spots as last year. The main difference is there's going to be more capacity in the Exec program.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

There's going to be some cannibalization from the part-time program for the exec program. The Berkeley-Columbia program required people to split their time between CA and NY. You don't have that with the new Exec program. Add that to the fact that exec programs are typically easier to get in to and this is the first year, there should be fewer applications to the part-time program. If I had the option with my schedule, I'd probably opt for the exec program since it'd theoretically be the easiest to get in to.

Yeah, the Columbia name being dropped may change things a bit, but Berkeley can certainly hold its own. Haas is a top program in its own right.

As far as I know, they're still planning on doing 4 cohorts of 60 people : Blue, Gold, Axe, and Oski. So, same number of spots as last year. The main difference is there's going to be more capacity in the Exec program.

Thanks great info. I'd be interested to know if students are allowed to apply to both the exec and part-time programs at the same time. And if so, will the adcom review these applications differently? Perhaps giving the students a choice? I do recall a question on our EWMBA application that asked us to check if the EMBA would be a program we're interested in (or something to that effect).

I'm sure there are folks in my camp -- absolutely set on the EWMBA flavor -- and some who would be willing to go to either or maybe even favoring EMBA.

In any case, I'm a bit disappointed they didn't increase the seats for the EWMBA program. I went through the 2012 thread for EWMBA and it appears so many qualified folks (practically all from engineering) were waitlisted and then denied.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Pinch,

I don't think you can apply to more than one program at Berkeley (be it FT or Exec. or EWMBA) at the same time.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kenny0929 wrote:
Pinch,

I don't think you can apply to more than one program at Berkeley (be it FT or Exec. or EWMBA) at the same time.

thanks Kenny, are you a silicon valley software guy? just a guess =)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Someone asked about that at an information session I went to. You can only officially apply to one of the programs per year. They will advise you on which program is the best fit for you though.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Yes. No points for guessing though. :) I am actually a hardware guy! However, whoever interviews may not know the difference I suppose. :)
pinchharmonic wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kenny0929 wrote:
Yes. No points for guessing though. :) I am actually a hardware guy! However, whoever interviews may not know the difference I suppose. :)
pinchharmonic wrote:

Kenny

just curious, what kind of hardware do you deal with? I am in hardware too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
I'm sure there are folks in my camp -- absolutely set on the EWMBA flavor -- and some who would be willing to go to either or maybe even favoring EMBA.

In any case, I'm a bit disappointed they didn't increase the seats for the EWMBA program. I went through the 2012 thread for EWMBA and it appears so many qualified folks (practically all from engineering) were waitlisted and then denied.

From what I understand, they can't increase the seats (at least for the weekend sections). Their south bay location is pretty much full. One of the reasons I like the school is that it isn't a huge program.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

From what I understand, they can't increase the seats (at least for the weekend sections). Their south bay location is pretty much full. One of the reasons I like the school is that it isn't a huge program.

good point. when i was visiting the class in south bay there were so many people. If all goes well, I actually love the idea of the weekday cohort. The fact they actually have a bus that takes you to campus and back is really fantastic. no driving in traffic.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

good point. when i was visiting the class in south bay there were so many people. If all goes well, I actually love the idea of the weekday cohort. The fact they actually have a bus that takes you to campus and back is really fantastic. no driving in traffic.

i would like to get with weekday cohort but i would likely have hard time catching the bus on time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
1ch1ban wrote:

i would like to get with weekday cohort but i would likely have hard time catching the bus on time.

In the class I visited, it seemed like most people drove in. The ones that worked on the peninsula said they left work around 4:30 to get to class on time.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
1ch1ban wrote:

In the class I visited, it seemed like most people drove in. The ones that worked on the peninsula said they left work around 4:30 to get to class on time.

I heard that many folks use the wifi on the bus to continue working during that rush hour commute, which may last anywhere from 1-1.5 hours. If like me you can easily VPN into work, you can effectively continue working until 5-5:30pm thereby not affecting your normal work hours.

Haas has a really well thought out plan for the weekday folks. The only tradeoff is the lack of time to network and hang out with other students after class, something the weekend folks do regularly (go to bars after for instance).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
I heard that many folks use the wifi on the bus to continue working during that rush hour commute, which may last anywhere from 1-1.5 hours. If like me you can easily VPN into work, you can effectively continue working until 5-5:30pm thereby not affecting your normal work hours.

Haas has a really well thought out plan for the weekday folks. The only tradeoff is the lack of time to network and hang out with other students after class, something the weekend folks do regularly (go to bars after for instance).

That's also the downside to commuting in via plane. It doesn't look like there's going to be a ton of free time for extracurriculars unless I fly in friday night instead of saturday morning.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

That's also the downside to commuting in via plane. It doesn't look like there's going to be a ton of free time for extracurriculars unless I fly in friday night instead of saturday morning.

yea precisely. I have a strong interest in entrepreneurship and outside of class experiences, clubs and competitions for example, are tremendous at Haas.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just had my interview in the afternoon. Like many previously suggested, it was a blind interview. The questions are all fairly standard questions like walk through resume, why mba, what can you bring to haas, etc. I am a software engineer in Bay Area with some entrepreneurial experience and I don't think that has impressed my interviewer enough. EWMBA will have 250 seats this year, and only a portion will be filled in round 1.

but now it is all done. all i do is just to wait.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
yanji84 wrote:
Just had my interview in the afternoon. Like many previously suggested, it was a blind interview. The questions are all fairly standard questions like walk through resume, why mba, what can you bring to haas, etc. I am a software engineer in Bay Area with some entrepreneurial experience and I don't think that has impressed my interviewer enough. EWMBA will have 250 seats this year, and only a portion will be filled in round 1.

but now it is all done. all i do is just to wait.

best of luck there. unless you mind mentioning, who interviewed you? Were you expecting him/her to be more impressed by your entrepreneurial background? or perhaps something you did at work?

I would imagine there's still something about a software engineer that can wow the interviewer. It'd be sad if they simply see another engineer and already typecast us.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  75   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts