Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
vinash: kumar
Send PM
Re: Phd in Finance [#permalink]
mahmud1180 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
I know GMAT will be problematic.I won't be too much frustrated if I cant get to the premier program. I am willing to apply especially in North-america and I am interested in "Portfolio management" for PhD concentration. I am already pursuing Masters in finance in Bangladesh which is due to end in June 2013.Can I get directly into PhD program or should I take Masters in finance from a foreign university first???

"mahmud1180" you want to go with PhD now, if you prefered PhD with distance then you may try on ipsmeerut(dot)com/phd.php
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Kudos
If you are looking into US universities, go for a PhD now. However, I think it would be worthwhile for you to get a masters first. "Portfolio management" is too broad for a research interest and you need to come up with something more specific to write in your statement of purpose. If you are willing to consider Canada, the following maybe good options for you:

University of British Columbia
Queens University
Brock University
University of Saskatchewan
Lethbridge University
Concordia University
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am undertaking masters in finance course which is due to end in june 2013. Should I apply MSc in Finance first and then apply for PhD?

Can you mention some US universities???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
mahmud1180 wrote:
I am undertaking masters in finance course which is due to end in june 2013. Should I apply MSc in Finance first and then apply for PhD?

Can you mention some US universities???

I understand that you are doing a masters in finance now. However, if you don't have any research experience to show for, you might still want to consider an additional MSc in Finance first.

As I have only researched the top 25 programs in US, it's hard for me to recommend US universities to you. There maybe threads here that discuss second tier program; have a look around.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
vinash: kumar
Send PM
tridevi wrote:
If you are looking into US universities, go for a PhD now. However, I think it would be worthwhile for you to get a masters first. "Portfolio management" is too broad for a research interest and you need to come up with something more specific to write in your statement of purpose. If you are willing to consider Canada, the following maybe good options for you:

University of British Columbia
Queens University
Brock University
University of Saskatchewan
Lethbridge University
Concordia University

oh yes! if you want to go with it other wise try this one ipsmeerut and check where you want to go...decide it your self
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Body feels not good, then go to the hospital for examination,
Buy MapleStory Mesos the doctor asked X-rayed, X-ray, MD wrote diagnosis, and then I took the diagnosis and film to the doctor. Surprisingly, the doctors took X-ray diagnosis began shaking his head, his mouth Gee, I was immediately pumped wow cool, want to ask the doctor left how long results that doctors say is: "Oh, now young doctors, the handwriting is really bad. "WOW Gold
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
ManhattanReview wrote:
Some basic guidelines about your candidacy. Your GMAT score is going to be problematic for the premier programs but this does not mean you should not apply -- just have realistic expectations. Your sweat spot is the next tier, or as I call it emerging first tier programs. Also, you should expect to submit around 15 applications - getting into programs and getting the right fellowship package requires that you diversify your risk when applying.

As for other programs to apply to, this is a wide open question. If you can provide more details on preferred geographic area and research interests, it will be easier to recommend programs to you.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Kim

I am 42 applying for phd with an MBA from a Top global university in India after 20 years..is it likely that i will be considered favorably for admissions based on my quant capabilities, i expect to repeat a 750-800 on the GMAT (Q59, V 43 IR 10 AWA 6) but recommendations will be from contacts of 20 years ago, with last 5 years in self study and financial analysis business experiments

Undergraduate education is from one of the original IITs MBA GPA was 3.12 ( 3.9 aftr conversion) and BTech was 3.0 how do you think I should choose my schools

What does my profile say to you in terms of where we are going? Do i have a sense of Ph D Finance/Economics with what i have or do I need to go out and look for a new tree for the farm.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4379 posts