Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink]
supri1234 wrote:
hi i am going to take gmat 23rd december.But my verbal section is not so good.I cant finish verbal on time.What can i do to improve my verbal score?

You can not do anything for RC in such a little time, all you can do is watch Ron's Videos (the first 3-RC vdo's) and follow these tips :-

1. From now, practice the RC 99 passages(OG or any good resource for that matter) at least 6-7 RC's everyday don't do it a day before the exam.
2. The real GMAT has dense and boring topics so don't let your brain get tired even if it does then blink 2 -3 times and read with full attention and proceed.Don't get lost between lines in the real test.Keep your calm and don't get upset for past questions.
3.RC is a concentration and patience test- keep yourself involve in the topic , and try to co relate the story or frame it in your mind like a map, take notes.

STOP thinking that you have a poor RC preparation ! You can do it !

Good luck !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Hi!

Scheduled gmat on 29th dec 2012.
taken gmat once on 26th nov 2012
score: 660(Q50 V30) - :x disappointed with verbal score
gmatprep2: 720(Q49 V40)

looking forward to make the most of the next 20 days!
any suggestions for ramping up verbal score are more than welcome!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hope everybody feels like this on test day [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Hope everybody feels like this on test day

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I have finished OG12 RC.
and timing was 5-7 min for a passage with accuracy level of 70% and most of the question which i got wrong is of inference based.
So going to take careful attention for those questions.
I want to know what are the other source i should look forward to solve varied passages of RC that can comply to original GMAT passage standards?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Aristocrat wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have finished OG12 RC.
and timing was 5-7 min for a passage with accuracy level of 70% and most of the question which i got wrong is of inference based.
So going to take careful attention for those questions.
I want to know what are the other source i should look forward to solve varied passages of RC that can comply to original GMAT passage standards?

Sources: OG 11, OG verbal 2nd edition, 1st edition, gmat prep pack

Focus only on official sources as recommended by experts
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Hi I am planning to give my GMAT in mid jan for Round 3 applications , I am kind of in my starting stages.

Done SC grail, Power score Bible CR and and now OG -12 half way ..
Hope to complete OG -12 and 13 in dec with concepts and then start with full time tests..In the mean while studying Quant form other books and to give GC quant tests to see where do I stand.
can any one please give me the links for GC quant and verbal free tests.
also please let me know if I m wrong in my approach any where.

Thanks,
Abhinav
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Hey had anyone registered for e-gmat SC course?
if yes then how much time it will take to finish full course?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
Send PM
Hi All,
My GMAT exam is on 10th January and my resent MGMAT score is 580(Q43 V27). This may not be my accurate score as i have left out 6 questions in Quant and 5 questions in Verbal due to lack of time. My Target is 700+, Will i be able to acheive this score within 1 month. I am pretty sure that i can improve my quant score but have doubt about my verbal performance
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Aristocrat wrote:
Hey had anyone registered for e-gmat SC course?
if yes then how much time it will take to finish full course?

It will take approx 60-70 hrs. I have registered for their Verbal Live course.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey,

I just took the MGMAT CAT 1 and scored a dismal 540 (Q32, V33). I couldn't complete both sections in the stipulated 75 minutes. I completed only 28 questions in Quant and 35 questions in Verbal. Could you please advise. I'm planning to take the GMAT in three weeks time.

I took the GMATPrep a few months back and scored a 530 (Q41, V26). At that time, I guessed on the last three quant problems and couldn't complete the last6-7 verbal questions.....Although my verbal score shows some improvement, my quant score has tanked. I have read through half of MGMAT SC (stopped at idioms), full CR bible and MGMAT RC books for verbal. I've also brushed through the quant books of MGMAT.

I haven't touched OG as yet. Thought I should be getting a decent score of 650-700 with the current preparation, but I'm shocked. With little time left, I'm confused what to do.

I'd appreciate any honest suggestions.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
worldofecofin wrote:
Hey,

I just took the MGMAT CAT 1 and scored a dismal 540 (Q32, V33). I couldn't complete both sections in the stipulated 75 minutes. I completed only 28 questions in Quant and 35 questions in Verbal. Could you please advise. I'm planning to take the GMAT in three weeks time.

I took the GMATPrep a few months back and scored a 530 (Q41, V26). At that time, I guessed on the last three quant problems and couldn't complete the last6-7 verbal questions.....Although my verbal score shows some improvement, my quant score has tanked. I have read through half of MGMAT SC (stopped at idioms), full CR bible and MGMAT RC books for verbal. I've also brushed through the quant books of MGMAT.

I haven't touched OG as yet. Thought I should be getting a decent score of 650-700 with the current preparation, but I'm shocked. With little time left, I'm confused what to do.

Thanks!

If you take highest score of each section from both your mock test, it will be 610 (Q41, V33).

See the link for details: gmat-scores-83890.html

Great improvement in Verbal. DO THE OG ASAP - ESPECIALLY , ALL THE VERBAL SECTION.

There is no need to lose hope. You just need to identify the problem area and work upon it.
So when you say you get a low score, there are two reasons for it:
1. You get more questions wrong - in this is the case, its time to go back to the basics. Short-list the areas where you are weak and get thorough with the concepts.
2. You have time crunch which leaves some questions un-attempted - here, take more and more full time practice tests

Prepare for 1 week/10 days. And give Gmat prep again, if your score is within the targeted score range i.e 650 -700. The go for the exam, otherwise postpone it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
greatps24 wrote:
worldofecofin wrote:
Hey,

Thanks!

If you take highest score of each section from both your mock test, it will be 610 (Q41, V33).

Great improvement in Verbal. DO THE OG ASAP - ESPECIALLY , ALL THE VERBAL SECTION.

There is no need to lose hope. You just need to identify the problem area and work upon it.
1. You get more questions wrong - in this is the case, its time to go back to the basics. Short-list the areas where you are weak and get thorough with the concepts.
2. You have time crunch which leaves some questions un-attempted - here, take more and more full time practice tests

Prepare for 1 week/10 days. And give Gmat prep again, if your score is within the targeted score range i.e 650 -700. The go for the exam, otherwise postpone it.

Thanks a ton for your prompt reply! :)

Regarding the reference to the GMAT scores link - I think the scoring has changed over the past few years. In fact the MGMAT CAT 1, which I took a few hours ago, mentioned that post-Aug 29th, the scoring algorithm has changed and a 33 in quant back then is now a 32, and a 35 back then is now a 33 in verbal. In short, the scoring algorithm in now stricter then it was before.

I'm not sure if taking the highest score from each section makes sense. That's because one was GMATPrep and the other is MGMAT. Secondly, there's three month gap between these two tests, with not much study done in between.

Any specific reason for suggesting the OG Verbal right away?

Also, should I do one section at a time? I mean complete OG Verbal, then Quant and then do another mock test?

In terms of getting a low score, I think I'm doing both wrong things you mentioned - getting questions wrong plus screwing up drastically on timing. :(

Any advise is highly valuable.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
worldofecofin wrote:
greatps24 wrote:
worldofecofin wrote:
Hey,

Thanks!

Thanks a ton for your prompt reply! :)

Regarding the reference to the GMAT scores link - I think the scoring has changed over the past few years. In fact the MGMAT CAT 1, which I took a few hours ago, mentioned that post-Aug 29th, the scoring algorithm has changed and a 33 in quant back then is now a 32, and a 35 back then is now a 33 in verbal. In short, the scoring algorithm in now stricter then it was before.

The score Link is updated in Nov, 2012. Although the start date of the link is 2-3 years back.

I'm not sure if taking the highest score from each section makes sense. That's because one was GMATPrep and the other is MGMAT. Secondly, there's three month gap between these two tests, with not much study done in between.

It was just to motivate you. But , yes the most recent and the score in GMAT prep is more accurate.

Any specific reason for suggesting the OG Verbal right away?

They are the only official source of info. No , other source can match the type, level, structure etc (especially for Verbal)

Also, should I do one section at a time? I mean complete OG Verbal, then Quant and then do another mock test?
Most of the high scorers, recommend to focus on 1 section at a time, but it is upto you.

In terms of getting a low score, I think I'm doing both wrong things you mentioned - getting questions wrong plus screwing up drastically on timing. :(

Any advise is highly valuable.

Please, give Kudos if you like my post
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I checked the link again. It said updated in Sept 2012. But that's recent enough for me to consider. Thanks for pointing out.

Yes, I'll do one section at a time. Verbal first.

Also, what do you suggest for Quant? You seem to be good at it, isn't it?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
worldofecofin wrote:
I checked the link again. It said updated in Sept 2012. But that's recent enough for me to consider. Thanks for pointing out.

For quant, brush up your basics from gmat-math-book-87417.html.
And then practice, practice..and practice...

Once you reach at 45..then use Gmat club tests.

Now, how to reach 50 from 45 refer this:

the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
greatps24 wrote:
worldofecofin wrote:

For quant, brush up your basics from gmat-math-book-87417.html.
And then practice, practice..and practice...

Once you reach at 45..then use Gmat club tests.

Now, how to reach 50 from 45 refer this:

the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html

Thanks!

How do you compare the GMAT math book as against the 5 MGMAT quant books? Both contain only concepts right? Any difference between the two?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
greatps24 wrote:
Today, I finished the SC part from OG 12 and OGV2. But, still I am not able to finish most of the question in 1 min. Will practice SC from OGV1.

For timing strategies (especially for Verbal), there was one post which uses tables to explain. Does anyone remember the thread of this post?

Meanwhile, I just want to share some motivational words from well-someone-had-to-pay-143699.html:

The motivation:

I can’t lay more stress on this than I will in my next few sentences.
It is pretty simple. If you are not motivated enough to see yourself in the school you want, to get the score you want, you will never end up getting them. Period. It is critical that you stay focussed and work hard towards what you have set for yourself. I don’t believe in 1 week-760 debriefs. A 2 month-720 is much sweeter. Let me just write here what everyone knows - there are no miracles. And you definitely won’t see one on the GMAT.

This is probably what you are searching for. I had bookmarked the link earlier; not sure whether you've found the link you were looking for eventually, but thought of sharing the following link with you.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... anagement/
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5