Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
paras123 wrote:

Just says content not available.. need permission to view page. Maybe cuz you made it a private group?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
waxer wrote:
paras123 wrote:

Just says content not available.. need permission to view page. Maybe cuz you made it a private group?

group settings changed!! u can try now :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi
I got a problem there..

I just got an email form Said.....saying that I am put on the waiting list of the MFE programme?

hows the chance that i could finally got admitted at a later stage?

cheers xx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
I also got the acceptance mail on 7 December.
Finally, it marks the end of all that GMAT prep, preparing application packages and follow up for letter of recommendations. This was going on for the past 18 months.
Looking forward to have an exciting year of new learning and much needed break from work :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Leftcoastguy wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
Leftcoastguy wrote:
I'm just going to throw this out there. Did any of you consider Cambridge? If so, if you have/had been accepted, which one will/would you choose and why?

From speaking with students, alumni and faculty in both schools, I have been impressed across the board. There are small differences in the program structure, class size and composition but I'm beginning to learn that the real differences may be in the "feel" of the two schools, which one can only sense after visiting both places (something I'm unable to do).

Anyway, feel free to chime in with your thoughts guys. Thanks!

I won't be able to answer your question directly since I did not apply to Cambridge, the reason being that I was an undergrad there and I wanted something new. Having said that, I did live in Oxford for three months working in a project so I can compare cities first hand if not the MBA programmes per se. Oxford is a much larger town which means that it is not as charming, but offers a more comfortable setting for older students like us. In particular, Cambridge is a lot prettier because colleges are "open" while in Oxford they act like independent fortresses. Don't me wrong, Oxford is still gorgeous. Also, Oxford being larger means that it might be easier for my fiancée to find a job. All in all, I think the main difference is that Cambridge feels like a small town, and Oxford like a slightly less small town.

In terms of impressions, I feel that the Oxford programme has one huge advantage which is that after the internship you get to return to school for a month. I think this is a great opportunity to reflect on what you learned during the summer and learn from others as well. Another big difference is that Cambridge has A LOT of mandatory activities outside the core courses (venture project, consulting project, capstone project, leadership seminars, etc.). This might work for some and not for others. I felt it wouldn't that much for me.

Thanks for that, Ducksworth. I did hear about the difference in the cities and frankly for one year - that's really not a dealbreaker for me. I've lived in big cities all my life so a year in a small/smallish town might be a welcome break.

Good point about the returning to school bit - I didn't think of that. If one did an internship in the summer at Judge, you would be effectively saying goodbye to the school and classmates in June, rather than September. Another oddity at Judge is that the finals week is AFTER the vacation, which means your mind is never completely at rest... but I suspect that is the case in a 1yr MBA regardless . :)

The compulsory activities actually suit me because I don't have a business background so the rigid structure gives me direction. Also, I'm looking to get into Consulting and those projects will be of use. On the other hand, I'm still not convinced I will benefit as much from the compulsory Entrepreneurship project at Said since that is not a major area of interest for me.

I appreciate your input nonetheless and maybe we'll be classmates next year!

I have never been to Cambridge, so can't really talk about the place. From what I hear, the places are quite similar. Personally for me, I looked at the people. The professors, their work, experience and involvement with industry. Oxford came out on top. Then there is Peter Tufano. There used to be a piece on poetsandquants on this. Try and look it up.

There is a new exciting initiative by Dean Tufano (I don't think I am allowed to talk about it yet). This is now in Hillary and EP has been pushed to Trinity. This new initiative will look at macro trends, global issues facing the world currently and will draw upon current students, alumni, professors, other research departments at Oxford and industry to try and find solutions.

I think EP and this-new-initiative is still relevant even if you don't want to be an entrepreneur post your MBA. Business is never just about being a consultant or banker or marketer. If you are half good, in few years, you will see yourself as a general manager. Where your skills, tools and vision will set the direction of an organization. You will tackle problems bigger than just financing that project or marketing that product. EP will give you that perspective, build that discipline to work with a group of people and lead an idea from conceptualization into a successful venture.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
paras123 wrote:
waxer wrote:
paras123 wrote:

group settings changed!! u can try now :)

Just sent my request to join the group, thanks for setting it up!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Have Oxford's recommender questions ever been found?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Lowkeyg wrote:
Have Oxford's recommender questions ever been found?

just create two new webmail accounts. use one to create a new application and the other as the referee.... job done!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
About the FB group: it seems like most people on it are current students rather than recently accepted... am I right?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
About the FB group: it seems like most people on it are current students rather than recently accepted... am I right?

I think some current students were added to help field questions, hopefully it fills up quickly as those of us just admitted track it down and join.

I'm looking forward to receiving all of the follow-up material (offer letters, intranet access, *hopefully* scholarship awards) from Oxford that was mentioned in our acceptance letters, should make for an exciting couple of weeks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CptBrightside wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:

I think some current students were added to help field questions, hopefully it fills up quickly as those of us just admitted track it down and join.

I'm looking forward to receiving all of the follow-up material (offer letters, intranet access, *hopefully* scholarship awards) from Oxford that was mentioned in our acceptance letters, should make for an exciting couple of weeks!

That makes sense. Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
sanjuro9 wrote:
Leftcoastguy wrote:
I'm just going to throw this out there. Did any of you consider Cambridge? If so, if you have/had been accepted, which one will/would you choose and why?

From speaking with students, alumni and faculty in both schools, I have been impressed across the board. There are small differences in the program structure, class size and composition but I'm beginning to learn that the real differences may be in the "feel" of the two schools, which one can only sense after visiting both places (something I'm unable to do).

I have never been to Cambridge, so can't really talk about the place. From what I hear, the places are quite similar. Personally for me, I looked at the people. The professors, their work, experience and involvement with industry. Oxford came out on top. Then there is Peter Tufano. There used to be a piece on poetsandquants on this. Try and look it up.

There is a new exciting initiative by Dean Tufano (I don't think I am allowed to talk about it yet). This is now in Hillary and EP has been pushed to Trinity. This new initiative will look at macro trends, global issues facing the world currently and will draw upon current students, alumni, professors, other research departments at Oxford and industry to try and find solutions.

I think EP and this-new-initiative is still relevant even if you don't want to be an entrepreneur post your MBA. Business is never just about being a consultant or banker or marketer. If you are half good, in few years, you will see yourself as a general manager. Where your skills, tools and vision will set the direction of an organization. You will tackle problems bigger than just financing that project or marketing that product. EP will give you that perspective, build that discipline to work with a group of people and lead an idea from conceptualization into a successful venture.

Cheers

Thanks for your thoughts, Sanjuro. I was fortunate enough to interview with Director Chambers and he had similar things to say about the utility of the Entrepreneurship project for non-entrepreneurs. I think I know the initiative you speak of... Stephan touches upon it in this interview:
https://blog.clearadmit.com/2012/09/admissions-director-qa-stephan-chambers-of-the-said-business-school-at-oxford-university/

I just attended a webinar by the Careers Service team and am now more or less convinced that Oxford is the place for me. It's difficult to turn down $$ from Cambridge but sometimes you have to go with your gut :)

By the way, according to Admissions, if you were awarded a scholarship, you would have heard about it on Friday (despite what the email said).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Leftcoastguy wrote:
By the way, according to Admissions, if you were awarded a scholarship, you would have heard about it on Friday (despite what the email said).

Ah!

pl post/report if you have received a scholarship email/letter from Oxford :)

I am still waiting ... lol
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Leftcoastguy wrote:
sanjuro9 wrote:
Leftcoastguy wrote:

Cheers

Thanks for your thoughts, Sanjuro. I was fortunate enough to interview with Director Chambers and he had similar things to say about the utility of the Entrepreneurship project for non-entrepreneurs. I think I know the initiative you speak of... Stephan touches upon it in this interview:
https://blog.clearadmit.com/2012/09/admissions-director-qa-stephan-chambers-of-the-said-business-school-at-oxford-university/

I just attended a webinar by the Careers Service team and am now more or less convinced that Oxford is the place for me. It's difficult to turn down $$ from Cambridge but sometimes you have to go with your gut :)

Ah! That's a heart break.
Has anyone received a scholarship yet!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Leftcoastguy wrote:

I did not get any indication of a scholarship in the acceptance e-mail. However, during the application I ticked the option that I wanted to be considered for a certain scholarship. They e-mailed today asking to submit an essay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Has anyone been offered scholarship till now?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
harnish wrote:
Has anyone been offered scholarship till now?

I have not heard anything regarding scholarships. I probably didn't qualify, oh well, not the end of the world, still thrilled about the acceptance letter!

How about other contact from the Admissions office? Anyone receive access to the intranet site?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts