Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I had my interview on Saturday here in Singapore with an alum. He seemed very unconvinced as to why I need an mba. I tried to reason and he seemed to buy it. But I thought I could have answered the why fuqua question much better. I focused on the teamwork aspect at fuqua but the interviewer had the "stop boring me" expression on.

Nothing to do now except hope for the best I guess.

Btw: are results out exactly on the 8th of jan or can we expect the results to come in BY the 8th. Anyone?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
hselika wrote:
I had my interview on Saturday here in Singapore with an alum. He seemed very unconvinced as to why I need an mba. I tried to reason and he seemed to buy it. But I thought I could have answered the why fuqua question much better. I focused on the teamwork aspect at fuqua but the interviewer had the "stop boring me" expression on.

Btw: are results out exactly on the 8th of jan or can we expect the results to come in BY the 8th. Anyone?

From what I've seen, all of Fuqua's results come out the day of and not before. There was no trickling of invites/acceptances/waitlists prior to the announcement dates.

The only time that decisions are rendered on a flexible basis would be after the Rd. 3 Acceptance Decision date. If you are still/put on the WL then, there is the possibility of movement anytime from then until orientation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 660 Q38 V42
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
hselika wrote:

I am surprised about the team fuqua thing. That's what Duke touts as what makes it unique and why I presume most of us are interested.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Other, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Been awhile since I've updated. I was invited to interview and completed my interview this past Saturday. Pretty standard interview why mba why fuqua

Now it's the wait til decision day

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
I also completed my interview this past week and had a great time at Fuqua! Everyone I met was really friendly, down-to-earth, and seemed to fully embrace the spirit of Team Fuqua that people talk about.

My interview was also pretty standard -- why MBA, why Fuqua, tell me about a leadership experience, etc. No questions you cannot already find on sites like this forum.

Good luck everyone!

hselika wrote:

Results are out on the day of January 8th --- exactly 4 weeks from today! I think from last year's thread everyone got a status update email and you had to log-in to check what the letter said (accept, waitlist, ding). After that, if you were accepted, calls started coming in from adcom, your Fuqua Buddy, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Send PM
I know I am obsessing even more. But last year's interview invite rate was 55% and selectivity was 27%. Even if we were to assume that around 20 of this 55 interviewed inte open season, it shouldn't affect the statistical spread. Therefore can we assume that those interviewed now have a 50-50 chance of being accepted?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
hselika wrote:
I know I am obsessing even more. But last year's interview invite rate was 55% and selectivity was 27%. Even if we were to assume that around 20 of this 55 interviewed inte open season, it shouldn't affect the statistical spread. Therefore can we assume that those interviewed now have a 50-50 chance of being accepted?

A friend of mine overheard a 2nd year saying that some of the open interview candidates are less competitive than the invited candidates, so maybe the chances of acceptance are slightly better than 50%..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bond007 wrote:
hselika wrote:

A friend of mine overheard a 2nd year saying that some of the open interview candidates are less competitive than the invited candidates, so maybe the chances of acceptance are slightly better than 50%..

That would make sense. Man I wish decision day was a bit closer, the wait is going to be excruciating
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
I also completed my interview this past week and had a great time at Fuqua! Everyone I met was really friendly, down-to-earth, and seemed to fully embrace the spirit of Team Fuqua that people talk about.

My interview was also pretty standard -- why MBA, why Fuqua, tell me about a leadership experience, etc. No questions you cannot already find on sites like this forum.

Good luck everyone!

hselika wrote:

Results are out on the day of January 8th --- exactly 4 weeks from today! I think from last year's thread everyone got a status update email and you had to log-in to check what the letter said (accept, waitlist, ding). After that, if you were accepted, calls started coming in from adcom, your Fuqua Buddy, etc.

Hey, even applicants Not Invited for R1 interview would get a status update on Jan 8, right? What is to be done in a scenario where it is waitlist without interview. Just wait for Feb 7, R2 invitation date or contact adcom??
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
punters11 wrote:
Hey, even applicants Not Invited for R1 interview would get a status update on Jan 8, right? What is to be done in a scenario where it is waitlist without interview. Just wait for Feb 7, R2 invitation date or contact adcom??

Check out my previous post for WL and general status update info:
duke-fuqua-2013-calling-all-applicants-134412-360.html#p1135273

You can also check out last year's Fuqua WL thread for some information on timing (mainly for R2 applicants though):
duke-fuqua-2012-call-all-waitlisted-applicants-130894.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
hselika wrote:

Some of the people that decided to do the open interview may have been uncertain whether they would receive an invite based on their current credentials. I heard this in one of the information sessions. Plus, I was one of those people :) I had a below average GMAT score even though I felt the rest of my application was strong, but I didn't want to take the chance. I was fortunate enough to be accepted, but I can definitely see quite a few people out of the open interview slot that may have felt the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Ever since some schools have started releasing decisions it's like I've become a decision junkie and I need to find a decision fix. Yesterday I was trolling the Booth page, I didn't even consider applying to Booth! I have no clue how I will handle waiting three more weeks for Duke! Granted the holidays will definitely help, but it seems so far away! Ha, so sad.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
Dakells wrote:
Ever since some schools have started releasing decisions it's like I've become a decision junkie and I need to find a decision fix. Yesterday I was trolling the Booth page, I didn't even consider applying to Booth! I have no clue how I will handle waiting three more weeks for Duke! Granted the holidays will definitely help, but it seems so far away! Ha, so sad.

Ha, agreed. I should have had a nice fix today, but Cornell waited until the last minute to invite me for an interview, so I wont find out for a few weeks. I can't wait to find out for Duke! It looks like our early Jan will be like everyone else's mid december.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
Dakells wrote:

Ha, agreed. I should have had a nice fix today, but Cornell waited until the last minute to invite me for an interview, so I wont find out for a few weeks. I can't wait to find out for Duke! It looks like our early Jan will be like everyone else's mid december.

Ha! I have been following everyone's plight on the Cornell page as well since I applied Rnd 2 and want to see what I'm in for. Congrats on the interview though, saw some dings went out today, so better late than never I guess!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Dakells wrote:

I've already paid my deposit to Duke and I still troll other pages on admission days...the decision anxiety still haunts me!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I totally understand where you guys are coming from! The way I staggered my applications, Duke will be my first result on 1/8. While I'm happy for all of my GMAT Club brethren who have gotten in already (including at Duke), I'm certainly a little jealous! :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Slider wrote:
Dakells wrote:

I've already paid my deposit to Duke and I still troll other pages on admission days...the decision anxiety still haunts me!

hell, I still troll on the decision days, and I'm done with b-school.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts