Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
suchivuk wrote:
Did anyone receive a call / email for interview yesterday / today ?

I received a reminder email about my interview tomorrow. That's about it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
suchivuk wrote:
Did anyone receive a call / email for interview yesterday / today ?

I received a reminder email about my interview tomorrow. That's about it.

best of luck... mine is next tuesday. how's your preparation? the biggest advice i've been given is to relax. the best interviews spawn from this nice relaxed dynamic between interviewer and interviewee (easier said than done for me)

btw, 10 more seats! 240-250.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
best of luck... mine is next tuesday. how's your preparation? the biggest advice i've been given is to relax. the best interviews spawn from this nice relaxed dynamic between interviewer and interviewee (easier said than done for me)

Good to hear about the added seats. Any word if they're during the week or on the weekend?

For the interview, I'm treating it like any normal interview I have with clients. Stay relaxed and don't focus too much on the exact wording of your responses. The best thing you can do is just be yourself. It's a blind interview. So, they're not going to be grilling you on your application. Know your resume and you'll be fine.

Just remember they're not looking to deny you admission. It's just a verification process to make sure you're the same person that submitted the application.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

Good to hear about the added seats. Any word if they're during the week or on the weekend?

For the interview, I'm treating it like any normal interview I have with clients. Stay relaxed and don't focus too much on the exact wording of your responses. The best thing you can do is just be yourself. It's a blind interview. So, they're not going to be grilling you on your application. Know your resume and you'll be fine.

Just remember they're not looking to deny you admission. It's just a verification process to make sure you're the same person that submitted the application.

i've heard the same too, although I hope it carries considerable weight as it is a way for me to differentiate myself. I've heard two extremes: one saying it's purely a sanity check, another person saying he was rejected two years straight (accepted third) because of the interview. The latter implies that it's more than just a sanity check or a verification of person to application since he didn't use a consultant or a fake essay,etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Guys,

I interviewed on the 10th.
I have previously (blind) interviewed with Kellogg and Anderson also, I'd say this is nothing similar to those. This interview (or atleast mine) was not blind as they like to put it. The questions I was asked were extremely targeted, there was absolutely no beating around the bush. Most of the questions kinda indicated what they really wanted to understand.

I had recently gotten a major promotion, 25% of the time was spent on understanding this promotion
I had applied to the Haas's FT prog last year, 25% of the time was spent on explaining why the shift from FT -> PT
25% of the time was spent on very very intricate details from my resume, I was stumped ( and impressed) by the level of details they care

The routine questions were peppered between the head-scratcher's.
- How is my current situation linked with my short term goal
- Have you talked with anyone or atleast connected with anyone from target short-term goal place (!)
- What would your collegues or friends say about you
- Long term goal in very detail (not the routine stuff of I want to do blah blah - do your homework!)
- What will I bring to the class
- Motivation behind long term goal

After about 25mins of speaking and explaining how I am different and how will bring a lot of different things to the table, I get this question
- We get tons of applications from engineers like you every-year, how are you different :shock:

I thought the last one was the proverbial 'final nail in the coffin'.

I would have enjoyed and probably aced the interview if I knew what was coming, I was sort of caught off-guard. I do not have high expectations of making it.

Luckily I got an acceptance from UCLA this week, for now I am proceeding as if its a done deal.

Good luck to you all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Send PM
I hope you get in. Do not worry now.
The fact that they had a lot of information on your from your FT app is the reason your interview was so detailed. The other reports on this forum do not mention this level of detail.
And, all us engineers are going to have a tough time differentiating.

calculas wrote:
Hey Guys,

I have previously (blind) interviewed with Kellogg and Anderson also, I'd say this is nothing similar to those. This interview (or atleast mine) was not blind as they like to put it. The questions I was asked were extremely targeted, there was absolutely no beating around the bush. Most of the questions kinda indicated what they really wanted to understand.

I had recently gotten a major promotion, 25% of the time was spent on understanding this promotion
I had applied to the Haas's FT prog last year, 25% of the time was spent on explaining why the shift from FT -> PT
25% of the time was spent on very very intricate details from my resume, I was stumped ( and impressed) by the level of details they care

- Have you talked with anyone or atleast connected with anyone from target short-term goal place (!)
- Long term goal in very detail (not the routine stuff of I want to do blah blah - do your homework!)

After about 25mins of speaking and explaining how I am different and how will bring a lot of different things to the table, I get this question
- We get tons of applications from engineers like you every-year, how are you different :shock:

I would have enjoyed and probably aced the interview if I knew what was coming, I was sort of caught off-guard. I do not have high expectations of making it.

Luckily I got an acceptance from UCLA this week, for now I am proceeding as if its a done deal.

Good luck to you all!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VibhaVKM wrote:
I hope you get in. Do not worry now.
The fact that they had a lot of information on your from your FT app is the reason your interview was so detailed. The other reports on this forum do not mention this level of detail.
And, all us engineers are going to have a tough time differentiating.

calculas wrote:
Hey Guys,

Good luck to you all!

I think the real question is, HOW do you differentiate yourself from the other engineers? Or, approaching it differently, WHAT is it about engineers that is so boring to the adcom? I feel there must be some common characteristic among all engineers they don't like. Perhaps too quant focused? Boring?

What were the things you mentioned in those 25 minutes that didn't seem to convince them that you are different from the rest of engineers?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
calculas wrote:
Hey Guys,

Good luck to you all!

I just had my interview. It definitely was blind for me. They clearly had looked through my resume and come up with a bunch of questions based off of that. Nothing too terrible as far as questions go. I think it went pretty well, but who knows what will happen. Now I get to sit back and wait.

For the engineers out there, don't feel bad. I felt like I had to differentiate myself from other consultants which only make up 6% of the class.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
calculas wrote:
Hey Guys,

Good luck to you all!

I just had my interview. It definitely was blind for me. They clearly had looked through my resume and come up with a bunch of questions based off of that. Nothing too terrible as far as questions go. I think it went pretty well, but who knows what will happen. Now I get to sit back and wait.

For the engineers out there, don't feel bad. I felt like I had to differentiate myself from other consultants which only make up 6% of the class.

very cool, thanks for the update. any pattern to what they wanted to clarify in the resume? perhaps promotions? leadership experiences within each bullet point? impact?

was there any talk of your extracurricular activities? everything seems so work related!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:

very cool, thanks for the update. any pattern to what they wanted to clarify in the resume? perhaps promotions? leadership experiences within each bullet point? impact?

was there any talk of your extracurricular activities? everything seems so work related!

For me, it was mostly because I've worked in a number of companies in the past. So, they wanted to clarify why I've changed jobs.

The vast majority of the time in mine was spent on work, and they definitely hold you to a 30 minute time limit.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

For me, it was mostly because I've worked in a number of companies in the past. So, they wanted to clarify why I've changed jobs.

The vast majority of the time in mine was spent on work, and they definitely hold you to a 30 minute time limit.

Right. I've been at the same company for 7 years so I figure they will try to narrow in on the "transitions" just like your transitions between jobs.

here's a totally different question... i assume you wore a suit. what is considered business formal in terms of colors? My suit is black with dark blue stripes, formal enough, but what about the shirt and tie? I have a white checkered shirt that is a bit casual, and a dark tie.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
Right. I've been at the same company for 7 years so I figure they will try to narrow in on the "transitions" just like your transitions between jobs.

here's a totally different question... i assume you wore a suit. what is considered business formal in terms of colors? My suit is black with dark blue stripes, formal enough, but what about the shirt and tie? I have a white checkered shirt that is a bit casual, and a dark tie.

Thanks!

My interview was actually over Skype since my schedule is nuts during the week and it's near impossible to commit to something in person unless it's on a weekend. It wasn't ideal, but thankfully I've been to a class visit back in September. So, hopefully not showing up to the interview didn't hurt me too much.

Being from the east coast originally, I went formal with the suit. Black suit, solid white shirt, and a solid blue tie. I was going to wear a red tie, but didn't want to jinx anything by wearing Stanford colors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

Thanks!

My interview was actually over Skype since my schedule is nuts during the week and it's near impossible to commit to something in person unless it's on a weekend. It wasn't ideal, but thankfully I've been to a class visit back in September. So, hopefully not showing up to the interview didn't hurt me too much.

Being from the east coast originally, I went formal with the suit. Black suit, solid white shirt, and a solid blue tie. I was going to wear a red tie, but didn't want to jinx anything by wearing Stanford colors.

- Wear a plain shirt (no checks)
- Any decent tie will do
- Any business suit is fine

On a different note, be prepared to answer - "Why were you with the same company for so long" - I was also with the same company for over 5 yrs, I was asked this question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
calculas wrote:
On a different note, be prepared to answer - "Why were you with the same company for so long" - I was also with the same company for over 5 yrs, I was asked this question.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me. That was a line of questioning I hadn't expected.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I interviewed this week. Few pointers to those who are anxious.

1- 30 min is the limit. Not a minute over.
2- Basic questions.
Walk me through your resume.
Long term goals. How will you organize your time (I have diversified profile).
What do your friends say about you.
What is your greatest achievement at current company.
and some others.

3- Be calm. It is really comfortable interview.

I am an engineer too, but as I said I have diversified profile and had a little unorthodox interview. I was able to focus more on my other side of life.
Wear a professional suit. I wore Grey suit with plain light blue shirt and a blank tie.

Best wishes to all.
Now keeping fingers crossed till Feb :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
I interviewed this week. Few pointers to those who are anxious.

1- 30 min is the limit. Not a minute over.
2- Basic questions.
Walk me through your resume.
Long term goals. How will you organize your time (I have diversified profile).
What do your friends say about you.
What is your greatest achievement at current company.
and some others.

3- Be calm. It is really comfortable interview.

I am an engineer too, but as I said I have diversified profile and had a little unorthodox interview. I was able to focus more on my other side of life.
Wear a professional suit. I wore Grey suit with plain light blue shirt and a blank tie.

Best wishes to all.
Now keeping fingers crossed till Feb :)

congrats. the fact you said it was a comfortable interview should indicate you did fairly well. i'm hoping I can nudge the interview into my out-of-work experiences. when you say "unorthodox", what do you mean?

February is my birthday, fingers crossed! i can already tell you I only want one thing for xmas and bday combined.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Folks - Did any R1 applicants receive an interview call in the last few days ?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  75   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts