Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 540 Q35 V29
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 540 Q35 V29
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: MS MIS Fall 2013 | Expected GMAT 550-600 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
That sounds good. I mean if you don't have a really good reason to rush things, even if it's a pain and you don't want to wait, you'll end up getting into a much better school, which will really be worth it for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,
I am having a worx experience of 3 yrs in IT in a multinational organization and I am taking the GMAT on 21st June. I wanted to know whether the GMAT score is accepted by most of the universities for MiS?

Thanks!
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kunal37 wrote:
Hi,
I am having a worx experience of 3 yrs in IT in a multinational organization and I am taking the GMAT on 21st June. I wanted to know whether the GMAT score is accepted by most of the universities for MiS?

Thanks!

Yep!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I got a 720 in GMAT (48Q, 41V) and am awaiting my AWA scores. I will complete 3 years work ex in August this year. I am currently working with an IT Multinational as a software developer. Please let me know which schools I should target for a MiS degree.
I had above 80% in both 1oth and 12th std. I completed my B.E in Electronics and Comm. with 65%.
My extra curriculars involve university level and state level sports participation (Table Tennis).
I have participated in and organised many robotics events at collegiate level.
I have also worked as an author/employee at crazyenginners.com, a startup tech blog.

Thanks,
Kunal.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kunal37 wrote:
Hi,

I got a 720 in GMAT (48Q, 41V) and am awaiting my AWA scores. I will complete 3 years work ex in August this year. I am currently working with an IT Multinational as a software developer. Please let me know which schools I should target for a MiS degree.
I had above 80% in both 1oth and 12th std. I completed my B.E in Electronics and Comm. with 65%.
My extra curriculars involve university level and state level sports participation (Table Tennis).
I have participated in and organised many robotics events at collegiate level.
I have also worked as an author/employee at crazyenginners.com, a startup tech blog.

Thanks,
Kunal.

Kunal,
Well well well, that's about 100 points higher than the high end of your expected score!!!
Not too bad! How did you manage that?

So basically with your GMAT, that totally totally changes things (and as you can imagine, for the better). You should be applying then to some of the better programs (like Austin, Carnegie Mellon). Although your application will also depend on how your work experience look (What you have done. How good your work was. How quick you were promoted relative of others. How appreciative your management is of your work, etc.)

But otherwise, I think you deserve a hefty Congratulations for that fantastic score,
Best,
Jon
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

Welcome. :)

I wanted to know whether there is a chance that I could get scholarship to support my education in US? One of the factors behind my decision to go for a MiS degree in US is because it is a 1 year course and has a lesser fee as compared to the MBA program. I want to know what colleges should I aim if I wish to get a scholarship. Also, what is the procedure if any for need based/merit based scholarships.

Thanks,
Kunal.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kunal37 wrote:
Hi Jon,

Welcome. :)

I wanted to know whether there is a chance that I could get scholarship to support my education in US? One of the factors behind my decision to go for a MiS degree in US is because it is a 1 year course and has a lesser fee as compared to the MBA program. I want to know what colleges should I aim if I wish to get a scholarship. Also, what is the procedure if any for need based/merit based scholarships.

Thanks,
Kunal.

Hey Kunal,
Well in general the principle is that normally schools ranked a bit lower than the ones you can get into will offer you money, because they will want to have leverage to pull you away from higher ranked schools. So let's say that your sweet range is schools ranked 15-35. Then schools ranked say 35-50 is where you would see the money. (this is more of an illustration than reality, but it should give you an idea of how things work)

Best,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. You have mentioned a general rule that lower universities have a greater probability of offering scholarships. But to e more specific, I wanted to find out the schools which are high ranked or achievable or easily gettable as per my GMAT score and profile. You can say that I want to start research for my target schools. Can you suggest a few for each category? Or even better if you can tell me how do we start searching for the schools that fit your profile. This is a naive request but I would really appreciate your help. You can also point me to any links that already have this information.

Thanks,
Kunal.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kunal37 wrote:
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. You have mentioned a general rule that lower universities have a greater probability of offering scholarships. But to e more specific, I wanted to find out the schools which are high ranked or achievable or easily gettable as per my GMAT score and profile. You can say that I want to start research for my target schools. Can you suggest a few for each category? Or even better if you can tell me how do we start searching for the schools that fit your profile. This is a naive request but I would really appreciate your help. You can also point me to any links that already have this information.

Thanks,
Kunal.

Kunal,
so let's say that roughly programs ranked 10-30 you would apply to, and they would be about the range of best schools you can get into. If you get offered scholarships at these schools they won't likely be that much. If you apply to schools in the 30-50 ranking, your chances of getting a significant scholarship will go up. Look at schools that are strong in your industry. So like I wrote, begin with Tepper, Austin, Georgia Tech, USC. These are all good places for folks with similar profiles to yours.

Allt he best,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts