Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great news Baner!! That is quite an achievement!

Have Fun!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats banerjee.

Happy to learn about your gr8 score. I think you are satisfied with this one (or are you still thinking to retake it? :wink: ). you deserve the score....
and finally you proved it.......
all the best........
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats on the score. Please do not post exam details- things like what kind of questions, what format, how may for each type and anything that may compromise the GMAT exam. You could get in trouble, because exam content is supposed to be confidential- remember the paperwork you did before the exam?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
congragulations....awsome score banarjee.....

I knew it...when you posted your earlier score i postponed my exam..... :)
now I am taking it on the 11th....
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
huis_jgalt wrote:
Congrats on the score. Please do not post exam details- things like what kind of questions, what format, how may for each type and anything that may compromise the GMAT exam. You could get in trouble, because exam content is supposed to be confidential- remember the paperwork you did before the exam?

Dude, relax ! I am not posting any ques here. I was talking abt writing my prep strategy etc :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 862 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
good job Baner!!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
After a hectic day y'day I am back. Please know that some of the views expressed here are mine only, so they might or might not work for you. Beware that this is a big post and I am not going to edit it, so plz forgive me if u come across any typos, dangling modifiers and pronoun problems.:wink:

My profile:

Undergrad (BS: Engineering): IIT - Roorkee
Grad (MS): Ohio State University
Working in IT for past 5+ yrs.

Resources Used:

1. Kaplan 2005 (CD) ---- Good CATs but verbal not representative. However, good for building mental toughness. Good practice sets.

2. Princeton Review 2005 ---- Math avg, but verbal not at all representative (too easy). Moreover CATs have some questions repeated. Also CD has a bug where if you don't start the verbal section immediately after Quant, the test ends.

3. Kap Verbal + Math workbooks --- good as refresher

4. Official Guide (10th edition) ---- The BEST

5. KAP 800 (2005-06)---- Only good for CRs. RCs, SCs, DSs, PSs are not
that difficult. Overall doesn't bring much to the
table.

My journey for GMAT started sometime in Nov' 04 when I realized that it is time that I evaluate my career progress. Soon I realized that my next step should be to get an MBA. So I started looking around for resources, did some research, joined GMATCLUB, TM etc. However, I didn't study at all till Jan ' 05. By Jan I had acquired all the resources I needed, and I jumped right in the gmatclub Math section. Believe me guys when I started my prep I didn't even remember how to calculate LCM, HCF etc. While I was going through Kap Math workbook to refresh basics I started solving each and every question in Math section of GMATclub. I was totally hooked to the club. Infact majority of my study time went into surfing the club (more on this later). While working through the math section in the club I met some brilliant ppl like Honghu, Nocilis to name a few. Everyone in the Math section contributed a lot in my quant improvement. Within 1-2 months of rigourous math participation, I was getting back my math skills. Then I moved on to verbal section of the forum, where I spent lot of time. It is more important to make a focused, short (2 months) effort rather than a prolonged one. I realize now that I was losing interest in GMAT as more and more time passed. I was not as excited as I was during the start of my prep. However, I was getting good score in practice tests so I was feeling confident. My scores were (sorted by date):

PP1 : 720 (Q - 48, V - 40) (Before touching OG)
PP2 : 730 (Q - 48, V - 41) (Before touching OG)

Kap 1: 630(Q - 50, V - 31)
Kap 2: 640(Q - 50, V - 33)
Kap 3: 700(Q - 50, V - 38)
Kap 4: 640(Q - 50, V - 33)
Kap (paper test on the back of the book) - 770 (Q - 50, V - 49)

PR 1: 740 ( Q - 51, V - 42)
PR 2 : 760 ( Q - 51, V - 44)
PR 3 : 760 ( Q - 51, V - 44)
PR 4 : 700 ( Q - 45, V - 42) (not sure why Math score was low even with 3 mistakes)

ETS paper tests (1-6) : 760 - 800 ( lil skewed as all paper tests have same RCs as OG )

PP2 (retake) - 800 (skewed as I took it after OG)

GmatClub Challenges : 50% (first one when I didn't know much). Then consistently 90-99 % (including archives).

Following are the mistakes I was making initially and adjustments I made.

External Factors:

1. After scoring well in practice tests, my expectations had gone up. I was under pressure to perform in the test. That attitude proved to be counterproductive. I was able to maintain a gr8 attitude until the nite before, when I cudn't sleep all nite (again !). I guess that's just me ! :-D

2. Choosing the right center is imp. Believe me the kind of test center u choose plays an important role in you mental state going into an exam like GMAT.

3.My place doesn't have test centers, they are around 75 mins away. Instead of a hotel, I decided to drive to the center. This gave me a greater control of the env as I was in my home nite before the exam.

4. Took a more comfortable timeslot as I don't work well in morning hours. I took 2-6 pm.

Preparation mistakes:

1. Way too long a prep (4 months). I dragged it without any reason. Eventually I devoted only 30 days with two weeks focus on SCs and after that doing mix of CR, RC, SC (20 questions each) on a regular basis. I didn't do much on Maths this time, other than taking the Challenges. A focused approach of 2 - 3 months will serve you much better than a longwinded prep.

2. I was good in CR and RC, but in last 1 month of prep, I totally ignored CR and RC and focused just on SCs. So I was lil out of touch from both these areas. Eventually I created a schedule where I was supposed to do 20 CR and 20 RC questions everyday, no matter what else I was supposed to do. This time I used one LSAT book "Next 10 LSAT test" for CRs and RCs.

3. As you all know that verbal is a separate beast. You have to be very careful on how u utilize verbal section of any forum. Unlike math, where you can prove something wrong, verbal section can contain lot of ambiguities specially in SC. Many questions in forums are ambiguous and they do not represent what ETS will test you on. I went on a tangent and started learning real grammar instead of focusing on OG. I saw my hit rate going down in SCs and I was getting really frustrated at times. I know, this has been said a lot of times but OG is the ONLY and the BEST resource you have. I wud recommend you to not take each SC and its expl in forums too seriously. Unless the material is from ETS you simply can't trust it. You will find, however, that some ppl will come up with an explanation to even a weird SC and if you take these expl seriously u will be jeopardising ur SC prep. Unfortunately no material other than OG comes even close to what verbal is really abt in GMAT. PR, Kap they are all the same. They all have poorly researched questions and even poorer explanations. And trust me guys you don't have to learn every detail abt phrases, clauses etc. I still don't know much of grammar and I didn't need
to. ETS tests only on certain concepts and patterns and once u learn to recognize them u r golden. I see many ppl going nuts on shredding a sentence apart and in process getting more confused than ever. I personally feel that analyzing SCs after a certain point is counterproductive.

4. As I said earlier, I was completely hooked to the forum and in some way spending more time in surfing the forum than doing my studies. Make sure u don't neglect ur prep schedule during ur studies.

6. Make sure you don't get happy by doing the same questions and getting a good strike rate. Do not repeat the same resources, other than OG SC. Always challenge urself by doing new questions. Remember all the questions in the test will be brand new.

Preparation recommendations:

SC: This was the biggest nemesis in my prep. In my eventual SC prep I was totally focused on just OG and MGMAT SC strategy guide. I wud highly recommend this book for SC and believe me it can do wonders for you. This guide goes through the ONLY aspects that u need to know and categorizes each OG problem. Again focus on these two books for SC and put the rest of the mumbo-jumbo aside.

CR: Just practice. Use OG and LSAT. Participate in the forums for CR discussions. Again stay away from ambiguous ques.

RC: Again not too much to say here. Use OG and LSAT. Put urself on author shoes and try to think as he/she does.

PS/DS: Use OG and above all use Challenges.
I used GMAT Challenges extensively for practice. After u have learned all the concepts in Math u need to get good practice of tricks and that where Challenges come in handy. I started with a 50% score in my first challenge, when I didn't know much. Eventually I was consistently getting 90-99 % (including the archives I took).

Attitude: Last but not least "attitude". You can do all the prep in the world for yrs but if u don't have the rite attitude u can't perform to the best of ur abilities. If u put lot of pressure on urself u will not do best to ur abilities. What will separate u from getting a good score and an avg one is how u r feeling on the test day. Take the day before the test off and relax, watch movie, go out. Remain calm throughout the test and don't just give up on a question just because it looks hard. Remember a question u r giving up now might be the ques which can keep u from getting ur dream score. Optimize ur timing on ques. I know all these r very subjective and need practice.

Test Experience:

AWA:

I didn't pay too much attention to AWA and wrote whatever I cud. Noone bothers with AWAs so don't break ur head over it. Get a template of some kind and use it in the exam. Energy saved here is better spent on sections that really matter. I had 5 mins left on Issue section and 12 mins in argument. I took 5 min rest to focus on what was coming and then clicked proceed. Took 5-10 min break. Ate a cookie, a twix candy bar and some water. Make sure u eat something u like during the breaks. Good chocolate can give u an immediate mood uplift.

Quant:

Settled down, put the keyboard lil away and made a bigger workspace for myself. Started off nice and throughout the section, I felt that quant was very easy (OG level) except 1 or 2 hard questions. Surpisingly didn't get any Probability or permutation + combination question. Got lil worried abt that, but stopped thinking abt it. Lot of word problem questions. Got stuck in one problem where my ans was not matching, was tempted to guess and move on, but decided against it and reread the ques, only to realize that I was reading the ques wrong. Finished the section just in time.

Took the break, ate a cookie and chocolate, washed my face and talked to myself in the mirror reminding myself that next is make or break section, so take one question at a time. Chit-chatted with the proctor while having water and went back with new set of pencils and scratch papers.

Verbal:

First 3 questions were SC, then CR (tough one, not sure if I got it rite), then RC (80 liner - tough), then SC, then RC again (45 liner - tough). Then it was a combination of SCs and CRs. Got my next two RCs in middle of the section and one towards the end (last one was again 85 liner and tough RC). Was getting worried as till the 37 question I hadn't seen a BF CR. I was overjoyed to see BF CR as my 38 ques. Last 3 were CR and SCs. There was lil disturbance in the room, so lost focus towards the end of section but no complains. I was very confident that I cracked each and every SC in the test and that made me happy. Needless to say that SCs tests multiple concepts, but I take it as a good thing because then the correct OA doesn't rely on u knowing the rite idiom. I have seen that all the wrong choices have multiple errors and ETS can't take a risk by giving the OA just based on an idiom. Therefore, do not get perturbed u can't crack the SCs where only 1 or 2 words are underlined, as u will not see those kind in the real test. Real SC questions have almost 2/3 of the sentence underlined and take that as a good thing as u will be able to see the errors from multiple angles. CRs were tough as choices were too close for comfort. RCs were tough as well with tough questions and long psgs. As u see SC being my nemesis I was surprised that I did better in SCs compared with RCs and CRs.

Clicked through the survey, having my fingers crossed. Looked at the score, cudn't believe my eyes. This has been my dream score. Pumped my fist few times and got out of the room. Gathered my printout and was literally dancing on my way out of the center. My wife, who was waiting for me outside, was overjoyed and immediately knew that I did it. I can't thank her enuf for putting up with me all through my prep for past few months. At times she had to go through boring weekends and holidays just because I was "studying" or taking a test. Altho I thoroughly enjoyed the prep but I am glad that this GMAT is over. Infact, this shud be my last standardized test for life. Now off to app process ! :shock:

This forum was an inspiration from the beginning. With ~1600 posts, I have learnt a lot, discussed a lot, argued a lot. I can't thank enuf to Praet, BB for putting up such a site. Very many ppl have helped me thro this journey: Honghu, jpv, nocilis, mcKenna, MA, christoph, vithal, praveen, saurabh, paul, gmat2me2, gmataquaguy, rxs0005, folaa3, fresinha2, dlmd, maverick, prep_gmat, rothad too name a few. Thx to ChallengeMaker for wonderful challenges. Still don't know how he/she comes up with so many good questions week after week. I wish we cud make the site lil more stable, specially during challenges it can be frustrating.

I guess I will stop now. Unfortunately, this has become too long a write up. Hope it helps ! Will be happy to ans any queries u mite have. I will be around. :done :-D

I have also attached a document which details some of the tips on quant, traps etc. Hope it is helpful.
Attachments

File comment: Quant notes
traps.doc [133.5 KiB]
Downloaded 1073 times

Originally posted by banerjeea_98 on 01 Jul 2005, 15:18.
Last edited by banerjeea_98 on 22 May 2006, 08:58, edited 7 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Banerjee

Great post ..U nailed IT mate..

I have the same issues with Verbal ( Like many of my fellow indians )
and your posts showed a way on how to overcome..

Currently i am in sydney and cant get my hands on these two books

Next 10 LSAT test +MGMAT SC Strategy Guide

If you no longer need them, I would like to purchase them..( will pay cost + courrier charges )......

Please let me know if this is feasible.......

Once again..Thanks for such a wonderful post...

Cheers
NK
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulation, Banerjee.

Excellent posting. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 u can send me a PM.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
banerjee

I have sent a PM just now..

Thanks
NK
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats Bannerjee,
You have done a great job.I feel inspired.
My 2 queries:
1)Do you suggest mgmat full series or only sc book.
2)Any idea on how long it may take to reach mgmat books to India.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Baner! You are indeed a Lion. Congratulations on your success. It goes to prove that with determination, one can certainly walk tall. Good job.

All the best in your application(s).
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
BULLdoser wrote:
Congrats Bannerjee,
You have done a great job.I feel inspired.
My 2 queries:
1)Do you suggest mgmat full series or only sc book.
2)Any idea on how long it may take to reach mgmat books to India.

Thx bull......to ans ur queries:

1) I only bought SC book. Not sure how helpful others are.
2) Sorry, no idea.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congratulations !
which schools are you targetting ?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank u all for the wishes. I am yet to decide on schools, part-time vs full-time and lot of other things. After I am done with the GMAT, I am finding that GMAT is just the beginning and not the end. :roll:

BTW, here is the link to MGMAT SC guide.

https://manhattangmat.com/StoreItemShow.cfm?ItemID=18
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Banerjea98,

With your GMAT score and work experience, all you need are good recommendations and a strong set of essays to walk into any top 10 school's full time program. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts