Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.54
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Should I take the GMAT in 10 days? Or reschedule it? [#permalink]
Kudos
Have you gone through the OG and tried to learn and truly understand the concept behind each question? If not then if you can find the time to do so in the next 9 days, then you'll likely have a chance at achieving that 720 score.

I went from a ~650 diagnostic to a ~750++ after going through the OG myself. I was very careful make sure to learn the concept behind each and every question that I either answered incorrectly or was even a little bit unsure of but answered correctly before moving on. I believe that with this tactic, most people, especially those who have not had much exposure to the GMAT previously, can improve their score very quickly.

Otherwise if you have already gone through the official GMAC study material, then as bb mentioned, you may need more time to improve your score.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
BigBrownFox wrote:
Have you gone through the OG and tried to learn and truly understand the concept behind each question? If not then if you can find the time to do so in the next 9 days, then you'll likely have a chance at achieving that 720 score.

I went from a ~650 diagnostic to a ~750++ after going through the OG myself. I was very careful make sure to learn the concept behind each and every question that I either answered incorrectly or was even a little bit unsure of but answered correctly before moving on. I believe that with this tactic, most people, especially those who have not had much exposure to the GMAT previously, can improve their score very quickly.

Otherwise if you have already gone through the official GMAC study material, then as bb mentioned, you may need more time to improve your score.

Good point! This may also beg the question as to a few assumptions I have made but the final true answer will depend on the score split and your ability to improve (depending on how much you have already improved).

In my reply I assumed that you spent some time and did not have a way to quickly improve (I can be wrong however, depending on your particular situation).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Tell us a bit more about your preparation until know.

Believe it or not, it was just last Tuesday that I bombed my first attempt, because I went for the test too early. So I would really suggest that you think twice. In case you have not exhausted official questions in terms of having understood all bits and piece behind their answers then definitely do postpone the test. Especially when you do not reach your goals in CAT's.

Have you taken any GMATPrep CAT until know? If not - this could be the last instance, which may help you decide. But to 90% it seems to me that you have to postpone. Actually you really seem to be in the same boat as I was 1 week ago. Now I just plan how to continue my studies redoing all OG problems, analyzing every question again, revising some concepts as well.

Just answer this single question to yourself: Do you have a mental answer to every question the GMAT may throw at you? If you want to score 720 and above, the answer should be yes at least in 90% of the cases!

All the best and Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for all your answers. looks like postponing may be the only option. The thing is I am getting bored of studying for the test. I made a mistake of starting studying, stopping and re-starting more than once. Therefore, I feel like I am bored of it.

Yes, I went through the OG thoroughly once and I also completed the Blue and Green books for Official Verbal and Quant.
I started my preparation with a lousy 530 on the very first MGMAT CAT I took. I inched my way from there slowly to a 600 and finally a 650 on MGMAT. On the Kaplan Test I scored a 670 but I felt that Kaplan Quant was a lot easier than MGMAT Quant but Kaplan Verbal was harder than MGMAT Verbal.

I took one GmatPrep test right about when I scored a 600 on MGMAT and my GMatPrep score was 620 then. That was 5 weeks back and I haven't taken another GmatPrep test again.

I am scoring a 44 in quant and around a 34 in verbal.

If I postpone it, is one month enough to get a 720/730+? What all do I need to do to get there?

People say practice but I already ran out of official questions by doing the OG books.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To top it off my family and friends just want to see me give the test. I would really appreciate any additional practice material you can suggest.
I have heard of GmatClub tests, Kaplan Question Banks and Jeff Sackman's challenge sets. But, I do not want to purchase them and just do problems if they won't help me. Or should I just keep giving full-length tests?

I am willing to postpone my test date but I would really appreciate advice on how to go from a 650/670 to a 730 in 4-5 weeks. I plan on studying during my Chrsitmas and New Year break.

Thanks a lot.

Monika
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
monikajudd wrote:
I am currently scoring a 670 on Kaplan CATs and a 650 on MGMAT CATs.
On Kaplan CATs, my Verbal score is lower than my Quant and on the MGMAT CATs, my Quant score is lower than Verbal.

I haven't looked into the IR section yet and I haven't given a full test including the Essay & IR yet.

I have exactly 9 days to go. Should I postpone the exam or should I give it anyway? I would like to get a 720+ on actual T-Day.

Thanks for reading and for your responses.

Anything given without the whole AWA+IR+quant+verbal will NOT give you an accurate estimate of your actual score. When you attempt the whole set , only then you can gauge how your stamina and timing play out . Many people (including myself) experience a drop in score when they take the full 4 hrs exams as opposed to just Quant+verbal.

Additionally how is your time management? can you complete the test? Are you rushed at the end, etc? You can add to your score by Correct time management without learning any new content.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ent-wrong/

Please refer the above link. I think it has time and stress management articles linked to it.

HTH
GMAT Club Bot