Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Improve GMAT Score From 620 To >= 700 : Need Urgent Help !!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gsgc wrote:

C] Verbal :

I completed OG 10, OG 12, OG 13, Aristotle RC 99 [80% completed but was unable to apply the strategy in the book - passage map], Aristotle SC before my last GMAT exam.

RC : Weakest, weak in primary purpose, inference, in order to questions. Accuracy 30-40 % only. I am unable to devise a proper strategy for RC questions. KINDLY HELP !!!
CR : Weak in assumption, bold face, flaw in reasoning, logically complete, must be true questions. Accuracy 50-60 %. KINDLY HELP !!!
SC : Weak in parallelism, pronoun, tense, meaning questions. Accuracy 60-70%. KINDLY HELP !!!

D] Quant Timing :
How to improve my quant timing. I gave more than 10 mock tests before I appeared for my last GMAT exam. KINDLY HELP !!!

E] Quant DS :
I am trapped with the language of the question posed. KINDLY HELP !!!

I plan to re-appear for GMAT on 25th Jan 13.
Do I have sufficient time to move from 620 to >=700?.
What all study material/tests should I cover?.
Will I be able to cover majority of bschools and join in 2013?.
I do not want to delay my admission to 2014.

Best Regards,

GSGC.

Verbal:

OGs are great for practice but you do need to get your basics right first (yes, there are basics in verbal too). Unfortunately, OGs do not give you the theory you require. They do not discuss strategies of attacking particular question types. Check out some GMAT specific study material of test prep companies. I cannot comment on the verbal books of other companies but I know the Veritas books.
Veritas RC book - Discusses in detail the various question types, what to focus on, how you are expected to deal with various question types and the strategies you can use. Has lots of practice passages - has some of the hardest passages I have seen.
Veritas CR book - Discusses basic question types e.g. strengthen/weaken/conclusion and the advanced ones e.g. assumption/logically complete etc. Talks about the focus points for every question type and the pitfalls. In my opinion, it makes CR very mathematical. It's very hard to get questions wrong once you understand the logic properly.
Veritas SC book - The focus is on the errors that appear most frequently - modifier, subject verb, parallelism, pronouns, tenses etc but first and foremost, it deals with the problem of 'accurate meaning'. The entire GMAT is reasoning based and hence, the SC section is being made reasoning based too. The focus is on logical construction and correct meaning - things people tend to ignore often.

Quant Timing - There is more than enough time. If you use the traditional approaches, you could feel that there isn't. A Q44 means your fundamentals are fine. Focus on alternative methods of solving the questions. Check out my blog where I discuss the more 'conceptual' approaches.

Quant DS - 50% of the Quant questions are DS. You need to be comfortable with the format. It is a little more time consuming so don't worry about that. Ensure that you fully understand the concept of 'sufficiency'. We have a separate book for DS which has exercises discussing the strategies that can be used to work on DS questions.

It is never easy to jump 80-100 points especially not after 600. But there is nothing that hard work cannot achieve so let's hope for the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Improve GMAT Score From 620 To >= 700 : Need Urgent Help !!! [#permalink]
MGMAT would help you get 700
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM