Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Yeah, the bad news is that $175 is arguably on the lower side for the best tutors in NYC. I used to live in NYC and could recommend a couple of independent tutors there, but they all charge somewhere in the $150-$250 range. At least the tutor you found is cheaper than Princeton Review, though--last time I checked, they were charging $350 for an hour with one of their "premier" tutors! Ouch. And they used to charge $450 a couple of years ago. Crazy, right?

You could also try craigslist and gmatix.com if you haven't already looked in those places. You might get lucky and find a diamond in the rough who hasn't figured out how high the market rates are yet.

Good luck! When you get to a 700+, you'll hopefully feel good about whatever money you ended up investing in the GMAT. :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Answers
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Did you ever settle on a tutor in NY? I can help if you are still looking.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey -

You still looking for a tutor/course? I would definitely recommend Tutor the People - just took a 6 week course (private one-on-one for way less than Kaplan/PR/etc...was only $70/hr) - and my score went up drastically. My tutor Sean scored in the 99th percentile and was extremely attentive to the areas that I needed to improve on in order to achieve a high score. Plus they donate 5% of the cost to Children of Promise - a non-profit that mentors and provides tutors to underprivileged children - which is pretty cool!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I just checked out Tutor the People's website, and am interested...

Can you provide any further insight into how Sean was? I'm aiming for a 700+ score but have only been scoring in the mid-600's ish ;(
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Has anyone found a great tutor off of craiglist for a reasonable price in the NYC area?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi poitier4,

I have a few questions about your studies so far:

1) What is your goal score?
2) How long have you been studying?
3) What materials have you been using?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
1) What is your goal score? 680-700
2) How long have you been studying? 2 months
3) What materials have you been using? Veritas
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT- October
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Please recommend me a private tutor in NYC [#permalink]
hi guys, can you suggest me some good online tutoring services? I am looking for good online GMAT tutor at reasonable prices. I have all study material and subscription of online full length tests.

all I want is a good tutor at convenient pricing. I would prefer tutors who can give a demo session. Have been cheated by classes of one service provider already.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi TimMclean,

From your post, it sounds like you've done some studying already, so I'd like to know a bit more about those studies and your timeline/goals:

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials have you used?

3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options beyond 1-on-1 tutoring. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Surprised no actual tutor has been recommended. Bumping for more info.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The issue here is location--the cost of living in NYC is quite astronomical. I've been tutoring GMAT in San Diego/online for 16 years now, and my rates are still comparable with the average NYC tutor.

If NYC test-takers are willing to be tutored via Skype, then they can easily find lower rates.

For example, I bet HanoiGMATtutor could have helped. : )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
San Diego is pretty expensive too, though a much better place to live and work than NYC. I think you chose your location wisely, mcelroytutoring ! And when someone from NYC needs your help, you can do online sessions, so you have virtually nothing to lose. ;)

My rates are low -thanks for reminding everyone- because I now live in SE Asia where the cost of living is low. If I lived in NYC, I'd have to charge a lot more...

Some students do strongly prefer a tutor that they can meet in person though, and I hope this thread can provide information on such tutors. In a huge city like NYC, I am sure they exist!
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
San Diego is pretty expensive too, though a much better place to live and work than NYC. I think you chose your location wisely, mcelroytutoring ! And when someone from NYC needs your help, you can do online sessions, so you have virtually nothing to lose. ;)

My rates are low -thanks for reminding everyone- because I now live in SE Asia where the cost of living is low. If I lived in NYC, I'd have to charge a lot more...

Some students do strongly prefer a tutor that they can meet in person though, and I hope this thread can provide information on such tutors. In a huge city like NYC, I am sure they exist!

In-person is overrated, in my opinion! The only issue is time zone concerns, which can be managed in most cases. I can be just as helpful over Skype, if not more, given the technologies at my disposal. But people want what they want.

Yes, San Diego is far less expensive than NYC, with far nicer weather...I'm a happy Californian for sure. : ) Southern California is not exactly a mecca for GMAT tutors, but it's a great place to live if you can afford it. The average GMAT tutor in NYC charges about as much as the most expensive GMAT tutor here in California, and we're 3 hours earlier, so I can tutor the night owls on the East Coast and still be home in time for a late dinner.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 30 Aug 2016, 20:03.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 19 Apr 2017, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Josh Jones! (Test Prep Unlimited). I scored 770 (Q50 V44 IR8) after his tutoring.

His price is a bit steep - $450/hour when I took classes. However I think it's better to take few classes from a great tutor than more classes from a mediocre one because the good tutor will help you to think about and understand GMAT questions in the right way. Here's my full review of Josh Jones from yelp:

"
I scored 770 (Q50 V44 IR8) on GMAT. Before meeting Josh, I studied for a couple of months on my own and scored 730 on my first GMAT practice test; I believe that score represented the peak or close to my peak score without a tutor. But with Josh's help, I pushed way past that and got 40 of the hardest points there are to get in GMAT (730 to 770), pushing me from 96th percentile solidly into 99th percentile!

I think the reason Josh is so effective is because he introduces rigor and discipline into your studies. Before I met Josh I intellectually knew that I should have a good reason for eliminating all incorrect answer choices in Verbal, but it's sometimes hard to follow that advice when you are studying on your own. But with Josh, I was forced to clearly articulate why every single incorrect answer choice in SC and CR was incorrect. It gave me a whole new level of confidence when I approached these questions. Before studying with Josh, for most questions I was not sure whether my Verbal answer was correct before looking at the answer. After studying with Josh, for most Verbal questions (more than 80%) I *knew* that my answer choice was correct, and I was looking up the answer for those questions only for their answer explanations. A good test for whether you are confident in your answer choices is that you can do 20 Verbal questions, go to sleep without looking at the answer choices and know that you got at least 16 of them correct. But if you are not sure whether you got 10 correct or 14 or 18 out of 20, then that's not a good sign.

Another quality that I liked in Josh is that he could think on his feet. Frequently I would have questions that introduced a new way of looking at the problem: for example in CR questions, I would explain some scenarios in which the correct OG answer would not be correct, or in SC I would tell a few reasons why the official answer was ambiguous in meaning or violated a principle introduced in another OG question. Instead of just asking me to accept the answer as something GMAT preferred or quickly saying something to move past it, Josh paused to think about it. There were times when for 2-3 minutes, there was complete silence in the room and Josh was just thinking. And then he would explain that even though that OG answer was incorrect for the reasons I mentioned, how the other options were *more* incorrect and why. This discussion gave me insight into how test makers think and why some errors are more egregious than others. This is extremely important for hard Verbal questions in which even the correct answer has flaws, and we are forced to trade-off between the comparative degrees of different errors.

With a score of 770, I am now above the 80 percentile range of the most selective B-schools in the world such as HBS (700 - 760). Because of Josh, instead of GMAT score just being a check mark in my application, the score has turned into an ally and will help me differentiate against other candidates to top B-schools. If you are looking to score in high-700s, most coaching companies are a waste of time because they would cater to the average student in the class. Even in a 1-1 setting, you want someone naturally brilliant like Josh; You want raw intellectual prowess over decades of institutional experience in coaching for GMAT.

I took 15-16 classes with Josh.
Was it expensive? - Yes.
Was it worth it for me? - Yes.
Is it worth it for you? - Depends on alternative uses of that amount of money for you.
Did I feel good after scoring 770? - You bet."
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you Saurabh!

Test Prep Unlimited is the only GMAT tutoring company on the planet to offer a flat-fee, concrete GMAT score guarantee for GMAT tutoring programs.

That means the cost does not depend on the number of tutoring hours--It depends solely on your scores! This could end up saving you more in the long run, even if our hourly rate is higher than our competition. Tutors who bill by the hour are not incentivized to get you to your target as quickly as possible. Worst case, some even stretch out your tutoring program to charge more.

When you enroll in a score guarantee package with us, our NYC GMAT tutors are paid a flat bonus based solely on your score, so we are incentivized to hit your target as quickly as possible.

One final note:
While Saurabh started in the mid700's, we help students at all levels, even the 300's. So don't feel intimidated to reach out to us! We will help you achieve your score regardless of your starting point.

Happy studying!
8-)
GMAT Club Bot