Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [2]
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
redpringles wrote:
thanks for your helpful responses, mappleby!

By the way, does anyone know approximately what % of the applicants get interviewed, and what % of the interviewed applicants are given offers?

I forget the exact numbers but in past years it comes out to roughly 50% of interviewed applicants are accepted. So I think it was something like 28% are interviewed and 14% accepted or roughly in that region. So if you get the interview invite you have made it over the largest hurdle and are up to a 50% chance of success. This metric seems to hold roughly true at almost all of the Top 10 schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
Quick question.

Submitted a few days ago. When I now login, am I supposed to see the status of my application somewhere? I see a page showing Recent Activities (including my fee payment) as well as some other stuff (date of app submission, rec submissions). I am getting worried as I don't see a definitive "Application being reviewed" (or similar) status. Anyone?

Unfortunately this is normal for CBS this year. You won't see anything else on that page until you get either your interview invitation or your ding notification email. Mine still says "Submitted" and I was accepted in October.

Thanks mappleby, appreciate the info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Hi guys, anybody get accepted after being waitlisted in the early decision application??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Not that have been reported on GMAT club yet. But they have only admitted a handful of regular decision applicants so far. I would think at least January before we start seeing movement on the waitlist. They want to make sure they see how the RD pool is turning out before moving on ED waitlisters.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
Not that have been reported on GMAT club yet. But they have only admitted a handful of regular decision applicants so far. I would think at least January before we start seeing movement on the waitlist. They want to make sure they see how the RD pool is turning out before moving on ED waitlisters.

Thanks mappleby. The waitlist letter says that CBS will answer before Feb 1, 2013 so I guess you are right and January will be the month of decisions for us that were waitlisted
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
mappleby wrote:

+1

I was looking for some insight on that. Very helpful!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Send PM
aliababua wrote:
mappleby wrote:

Thanks mappleby. The waitlist letter says that CBS will answer before Feb 1, 2013 so I guess you are right and January will be the month of decisions for us that were waitlisted

Just to warn you, I wouldn't put too much weight on those dates. I was waitlisted Rd 1 at Kellogg last year. They told me I would hear by mid-Dec. They moved the date every couple of months and in June I still hadn't heard anything. It can be a painful process and maybe Columbia is better than Kellogg but just to prepare you in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
I applied for the J-term. I was interviewed, waitlisted, and rejected. My profile is UG Gpa 3.0 MS 3.4 GMAT 700 Toefl 108 Work Family Business and corporate work 5 yrs

I am thinking of reapplying. I know that my UG Gpa is low.

Would an alternate transcript help my application? OR should I just give up on reapplying?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I would work on your GMAT before you worry about GPA. You already have an MS so I think that is enough in terms of an alternate transcript. Did you address your low GPA in the optional essay? Without seeing your actual application it is hard to know where exactly to improve but it does seem like CBS likes re-applicants so definitely give it another shot. Maybe apply ED in the fall next time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General , Finance
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
GPA: 4
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Private Equity
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
I would work on your GMAT before you worry about GPA. You already have an MS so I think that is enough in terms of an alternate transcript. Did you address your low GPA in the optional essay? Without seeing your actual application it is hard to know where exactly to improve but it does seem like CBS likes re-applicants so definitely give it another shot. Maybe apply ED in the fall next time.

I have a 700 GMAT too. Is that a total goner for CBS ?

My Profile : Indian Male
WE: 4 Years at Matriculation (1 yr Consulting, 3 Year PE in NY/Mumbai)
GMAT: 700 (Q49 V35)
GPA: 3.8 (WES Conversion)
Very Strong Extracurricular (Non-Profit+Ton of useful stuff)

I know 700 is low for an Indian application, but that was the best I could do this year and am hoping that would not be a reason for an outright ding.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mappleby wrote:

Thank you. I am not sure if rewriting Gmat is the best use of my time, when in the end, it does not add any value other than a data point. It dosent teach me anything new or improve my skill.

My MS was in a technical field, so I am wondering if an alternate transcript in business topics or single certificate courses such as finance, accounting, economics, might help show that iam capable of the mba rigour?

I am wondering if it helps or hurts my application. In the sense, if the admission views the single certificate courses as an excuse to "you already took business courses"
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
mappleby wrote:
I but it does seem like CBS likes re-applicants so definitely give it another shot. Maybe apply ED in the fall next time.

I can confirm that.. I worked with a bunch of reapps at Columbia, and they seem to do pretty well (when there's some meat in the soup)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Finally submitted my app to Columbia! Keeping my fingers crossed for the interview~

Unfortunately, I haven't done much due diligence on financial aid resources until recently when I came across several posts about Columbia's lack of loans for international students with no US-cosigners. I did my undergrad and worked here for two years but I'm still not sure if I can find someone to guarantee my loan. I'll need to take out pretty much the full comprehensive costs unless I get some aid.. which is a lot to ask of anyone to guarantee!

Is there any chance of Columbia being able to reverse the policy and secure no-cosigner loans for international students come this fall?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: CBS '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Finally submitted my app yesterday. Though a bit late compared to my initial expectation, but still in time I guess.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Guys,

I need some advice from you all. I am almost ready with my CSB application but I feel spending a week or two more would help me perfect it. The only downside with this approach (working on it for 2 more weeks) will be that I am going to miss the deadline for merit-based scholarships.
So, now I am debating whether it is worth the risk :? . Does anyone know what percentage of admitted students get merit-based scholarships ? If its very few people who get these scholarships, I would be better off not hurrying my application and risking the admit as well :|

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cognizant2001 wrote:
Guys,

I need some advice from you all. I am almost ready with my CSB application but I feel spending a week or two more would help me perfect it. The only downside with this approach (working on it for 2 more weeks) will be that I am going to miss the deadline for merit-based scholarships.
So, now I am debating whether it is worth the risk :? . Does anyone know what percentage of admitted students get merit-based scholarships ? If its very few people who get these scholarships, I would be better off not hurrying my application and risking the admit as well :|

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

The current economic situation does not offer sizeable scholarships. Better to consider it before submitting and paying the fees.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.77
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hey I am just about done with my application and tried logging in to submit. I got a message that states - 'The deadline for the round you had selected has passed'. This is for August RD for which I thought the first deadline is on Jan. 9th. Or am I missing something? I am unable to access my application. Anybody else facing a similar issue?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  50   51   52   53   54   55   56  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts