Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: The game isn't over - though I need some perspective. [#permalink]
kingfalcon wrote:
Well, as with many things in life, it depends. First of all, what are your goals? If you're looking to change careers, a part-time MBA might not be the best route for you. From reading some posts of current Boothies and Kellogg students, I don't believe students in the part-time programs are really allowed to partake in on-campus recruiting.

In terms of whether or not you would be competitive, I'd say it's certainly worth a shot. Your undergraduate GPA would be much easier to swallow if you had a 700+ GMAT, but I'm honestly not too familiar with how stringent the admissions requirements are for part-time programs.

At Booth PT students can recruit for full-time employment but not for internships. If the OP is looking to switch careers that internship is a really important part of doing so. Food for thought on whether or not to go the FT or PT route.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks again guys.
I am just tired now man, honestly I just need to re-asses a lot of things.
I am aware that switiching job functions/careers will be a challenge in the part time program and therefore I really need to give many things a lot of thought.
Given my background in consulting and an industry focus on telecom - there are logical goals that will fit in quite well with any type of an MBA - if i decided to pursue the route of business strategy and operations from a global telecom and mobile technology perspective.
But as one of you pointed out - it depends on what my goal is and what i want to do - given the latest change in my life - a new job.
Either way - thanks a lot for the comments- maybe a few beers and a few massive weekends after I will get into the mode of taking on the beast again..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
I definitely think you should take some time to regroup and reflect before you mentally commit yourself to a certain path. Enjoy those beers, enjoy the new year, and look forward to all the new possibilities that your new job will bring! I'm sure you can afford to spend a month not thinking about business school without it adversely affecting your odds of getting in (should you decide to go that route). :)
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
I actually think that you make a better candidate for p/t programs than you do for full time programs given your background. Full-time programs tend to be very rigid in their admissions standards and given your undergraduate GPA, it is a hard factor to overcome. However, part-time programs have a much broader definition of success and thus would encourage you to apply to both Booth and Kellogg once you get situated in Chicago. If you have not already accepted your position in Chicago, I might try to negotiate some sort of tuition reimbursement or indication of company support into your job offer. While certainly not critical for admissions, it might help if you are considered marginal at either school.

Just two other factors I want to warn you about: The first is that you already know that you are part of a very competitive demographic and you need to work hard at distinguishing yourself from the masses of similar candidates applying. The second is that if going to a premier business school is your goal, you should work with an experienced admissions consultant who can help you develop a compelling application. Based on your success applying in the first round, you might not be marketing yourself correctly.

Either way. Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy review.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
Keeppushin wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have been a serial peruser of the forums here and I need your perspective - with honesty- and possibly hope :)
So here is my story and stats :
Nationality : One of the 100 billion Indians.
Hometown/Childhood/Schooling : Dubai , UAE
UG institution : Virginia Tech
UG major : Industrial and Systems Engineering.
UG GPA : ready for this? 2.48....( silence of the lambs...)
Why so low ?
No excuses - Had a blast in college.
Took extra classes from UCLA extension :
Business stats : B+
Mathematics for Management : A+
Alternate transcript gpa from these 2 courses : 3.65.

Professional
WE: 5.5 Years
Job: Consultant in the telecom industry- mix of IT and Strategy for a global european consulting/computer services firm.
Job progression : Promoted to Senior Consultant in 2.5 years.
Some more details :
Plenty of international experience and successful leadership roles.

EC:
Founding father of the VT chapter of a multicultural fraternity
Music producer
Record label co -founder and owner.

GMAT : 690 AND ANOTHER 690
Applied to :
Kellogg Full time - Ding
Darden full time - Ding
Duke Full time - Not invited to interview.

So - the only good thing that happened this year - I accpeted a job offer in chicago and will be moving there in Jan.
So now I am looking into a part time MBA at kellogg and booth.
But I am disappointed and let down and dont know if I should even bother.....
So any thoughts?

seems like you got a "promotion". just re-apply with a higher GMAT to Duke, your chances will be higher.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Guys,
So the more I read about people getting accepted to the weekend program at kellogg- the more I realise that I will probably have to tackle the GMAT again and aim for a 710+ score, probably rescue a few drowning swimmers, climb everest and jump from space just to be sure.
Well the GMAT probably will have to be the first one to be dealt with.
I was also thinking of continuing taking classes from UCLA extension - for 2 reasons -
1) To enrich myself with knowledge of operations and supply chain management
2) To add to my alternate transcript.

However the 690 I got twice in the GMAT is what bothers me the most! Maybe I will find a savant to help me with it this time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys - its that time of year again. A lot has changed since the last time I applied for the MBA.
I moved to Chicago- Joined a firm that deals more with what I went to school for -Supply Chain - got promoted once in 5 months and hope to do it again in the next 5 months.

I honestly have realized a lot more about myself than I did before- the place where I work now provides me the opportunity to shape the business/ create account wide processes and take initiatives to standardize operations -- so the gist of it is that I think I have got a second wind now - and the key factor is that I seem to thrive in an organization o in a role that gives me an ability to create and shape the business that I am involved in.

Coupled with these good vibes - I got into the Duke CC MBA program but withdrew my acceptance only to re-apply next year when i can potentially get tuition reimbursement from my company!!

So the goal this year is to give an honest attempt to put forth my best applications to the weekend MBA programs at kellogg and Booth and soul search a bit more to know exactly how the MBA experience fits into my life ------- attending the entrepreneurship class from kellogg today :)
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good job Keeppushin, looks like a little persistence is paying off in your case! I can't wait to hear how the story ends, but it's certainly going in the right direction these days. As your name emplies, Keep pushin!

Thanks!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cheers ROn,
Hoping that my miserly fun filled 2.48 gpa in undergrad is not a stain that cant be removed!
Dual 690s and couple of UCLA courses to end up at A+ AND B+ along with some heavenly essays do the trick for the part time program - gotta soul search with an aggressive timeline.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just got a call yesterday
I GOT ADMITTED TO KELLOGG PART TIME.
DONE AND DUSTED.
PHEW!!!!!!1 :lol: