Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Corporate Finance (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Corporate Finance (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink]
helpmehelpme wrote:
danjohn4real wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:
So I've been hearing some interesting things from multiple people.-- that schools DO indeed know your rankings for admissions purposes and some will give you less chance of getting in based upon your rankings. For instance, I've heard that Tuck needs to be #1, Berk/NYU/Yale all like to be top 3 and that Ross is ranking blind for profile evaluation purposes.

I know we were originally told to not turn this into a game theory type of thing but hearing this makes me a little nervous and wondering if I may doom myself by putting my preferred/reach schools at the top :(

Also, if you are rejected from your top 2, does your #3 become you #1 pick in terms of the fellowship draft? Can anyone put some realistic paint on this picture?: )

I have heard several variations of most of the things you said above. As for your last question, you are spot on. If you are rejected from your top 2, your #3 THEN becomes your #1 pick in terms of the fellowship draft.

id love to hear what variations and conspiracy theories/truths youve found jhaha

I have read that Yale and Tuck both like to be ranked either 1 or 2. NYU is a common safety school for people who want to go to Columbia or Wharton. Hence, they are very rank conscious. They want to admit people who will attend. I know for a fact that Emory accepts candidates even when the candidates rank them # 6. Schools like Cornell, Darden, Ross, Tepper, dont really mind being ranked less than 1 or 2 because most people rank Tuck, Yale, Hass, or NYU 1 or 2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GPA: 3.2
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
perfectblack999 wrote:
So I got into Tepper. The admission letter says the deposit is due Feb 15th....a month before the fellowships are announced. Is this a solid date? Does this apply to Consortium applicants?? If so that's not fair! :(

Yea...seems like a bit of a Catch22. Even if Tepper's deposit is due before fellowships are announced, its still worth losing a few G's for if you end up getting a 100k fellowship at another program.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
no idea on haas tho? womp

and if youre applying to tuck haas yale tuck does that effectively nix you out of the running for half of them ?! ;\ or at least one?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
i (personally) applied to my top picks via their own app and then other top ones via consortium. (yale and haas directly to the school and stern, darden, and tuck via consortium). this was before I knew about the ranking visibility... I mainly jsut wanted to do as complete an application as possible for some of the schools with smaller programs that are really concerned about fit. BUT I haven't been accepted anywhere yet... sooooo... :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I too was also admitted into Darden. Excited to get my first acceptance and congrats to everyone else who was admitted! Just one question, did anyone get a scholarship? I am wondering if we have wait until the fellowship draft, or if Darden sometimes provides merit based fellowships beforehand. Or is scholarship information in the official "mail letter" that we will receive by January 5. Any insights would be appreciated!

Happy Holidays everyone. I look forward to meeting some of you this year in New Orleans OP!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
danjohn4real wrote:
I have been accepted by Darden!!!!!!

My guy.. congratulobia!!! You deserve it. Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
danjohn4real wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:
So I've been hearing some interesting things from multiple people.-- that schools DO indeed know your rankings for admissions purposes and some will give you less chance of getting in based upon your rankings. For instance, I've heard that Tuck needs to be #1, Berk/NYU/Yale all like to be top 3 and that Ross is ranking blind for profile evaluation purposes.

I know we were originally told to not turn this into a game theory type of thing but hearing this makes me a little nervous and wondering if I may doom myself by putting my preferred/reach schools at the top :(

Also, if you are rejected from your top 2, does your #3 become you #1 pick in terms of the fellowship draft? Can anyone put some realistic paint on this picture?: )

I have heard several variations of most of the things you said above. As for your last question, you are spot on. If you are rejected from your top 2, your #3 THEN becomes your #1 pick in terms of the fellowship draft.

So here is my take to your last question (based on my experience from last year - I got in but didn't get funding, so had to do it all over) - If you do not get admitted by your top 2 schools but you get admitted by your third choice, then yes the 3rd choice school will have the chance to offer you fellowship. However, you should keep in mind that there are other candidates who ranked your 3rd choice school as their 1st and 2nd choices. What that means is that though they are now YOUR first choice by default, you are not THEIR first choice - they will give funding first to those folks and IF there is any money left, you will be considered.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
helpmehelpme wrote:
yeah im wondering if itsb est to NOTl ist the other schools we are applying to in our application because of that. jeez i wish I knew this math formula.. I've heard Tuck needs to be #1, NYU wants to be #1 but will take #2, to be taken at #3 you have to be very impressive.. not sure if Berk and Yale are the same, ross apparently doesnt care... anderson? dunno and in terms of the other schools no idea

whatd you mean exactly by the 'they ranked them' alongside your other options? and whered you see them copy this

My two cents - rank them exactly according to how you prefer those schools. Forget the whole game theory - at the end of the day, ask yourself the question which business school is most likely to help me accomplish my future goals, which is next,....., it always ends up taking care of itself.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
helpmehelpme wrote:
and is it better to apply to 4 inside consortium than to shotgun it to a full six?! argh lol

This is a really good question - there are different spins on it, but here is my opinion:
I think it is a good idea to apply to all 6 schools. Scenario - really interested in Berkeley, Yale and Stern in that order. I'll apply to Tuck, Anderson and Ross additionally. Stern seeing you ranked it 3 out of 6 looks far better than 3 out of 3. And so also is 2 out of 6 (or 5) better than 2 out of 3. The downside to this approach is if you didn't get in the year you applied and you have to do it all over again, then you hopefully didn't "burn bridges".

This approach is what I'll do in an ideal world where time and resources are infinite, but as you can imagine that is not the case. So what I did, and will encourage anyone to do, is apply only to the schools you see yourself attending!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Did any CGSM Darden accepted folks receive their acceptance packet yet? I am located in the NYC area. Very curious about scholarships. If anyone did receive the packet, could you let us know and whether or not you received a scholarship?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Invited to interview at USC, still no word from UCLA or NYU or TUCK. USC says they will notify in mid-feb.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
For those applying to Tuck, whats's the word limit you followed for your essays? Tuck website says 500 but the consortium gives you 4000 characters.

Please explain why Tuck is the best school for you, and what would you contribute to the community.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I was invited to Super Saturday at Haas and wondering if there's anyone who is also attending and is willing to split a hotel room to mitigate costs. Please feel free to PM me
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I am confused on the word count for HAAS. It says 250 words on the HAAS website (https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions ... rtium.html) but the Consortium text box where we paste the essay allows 2500 characters (which is about 500 words).

Consortium office is closed till Friday, Jan 4th. CAN ANYONE WHO APPLIED ASSIST? Thank you!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I called the Consortium folks about the word count discrepancy for Haas, and they told me I should go by the guidelines on the Consortium application since the schools themselves select the character counts.

As a note - I followed the Consortium's guidance for my Rd 1 submission, which included Haas, and I was invited to Super Saturday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
minkathebest wrote:
I am confused on the word count for HAAS. It says 250 words on the HAAS website but the Consortium text box where we paste the essay allows 2500 characters (which is about 500 words).

Consortium office is closed till Friday, Jan 4th. CAN ANYONE WHO APPLIED ASSIST? Thank you!!

i would stick to the 250 word limit on berkeley's site despite the character limit on the consortium app. i did and was invited for interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CAapplicant2015 wrote:
minkathebest wrote:
I am confused on the word count for HAAS. It says 250 words on the HAAS website but the Consortium text box where we paste the essay allows 2500 characters (which is about 500 words).

i would stick to the 250 word limit on berkeley's site despite the character limit on the consortium app. i did and was invited for interview.

Hey guys, I didn't get an invite to Super Saturday - does that mean it's a ding for me? Out of curiosity, when is Super Saturday?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts