Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: HOW TO DESTROY READING COMPREHENSION PASSAGES BY RHYME [#permalink]
Oh sounds great!!! but sounds quite bold approach...:-)

Will surely try it out on official Qs.

My problem with RC is timing because a lot of time is lost on reading the passage, resulting in dip in my accuracy too since I have to go through the question in a very hurried manner.

Let me give it a try because this will solve timing prob if it works for me.

Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Sheer brilliance is all that comes to my head with this! 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks a lot, though taking notes well is also pretty key in this strategy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey Guys, Just chk out this website www(dot)rcprep(dot)com

It is by far the best simulator I've seen on the net and we can post our passages to..Anybody who has a list of passages with them can register and help people out.

FYI...Help me out too...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, I've got a question... how can you tell when the new paragraph starts? On the test text paragraphs are not separated by new lines, so sometimes it's not clear for me where the new paragraph starts :( how can I read only the 1st sentence of each new paragraph when I can't even tell which those paragraphs are?

Could you explain, please? Cheers
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [2]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sianissimo wrote:
Hi, I've got a question... how can you tell when the new paragraph starts? On the test text paragraphs are not separated by new lines, so sometimes it's not clear for me where the new paragraph starts :( how can I read only the 1st sentence of each new paragraph when I can't even tell which those paragraphs are?

Could you explain, please? Cheers

Is not difficult at all :)

A new paragraph starts when, basically, a concept is explained or for instance a contrast word comes in

the passage above

Quote:
Shaw’s defense of a theater of ideas brought him up against both his great bugbears—commercialized art on the one hand and Art for Art’s Sake on the other. His teaching is that beauty is a by-product of other activity; that the artist writes out of moral passion (in forms varying from political conviction to religious zeal), not out of love of art; that the pursuit of art for its own sake is a form of self-indulgence as bad as any other sort of sensuality. In the end, the errors of “pure” art and of commercialized art are identical: they both appeal primarily to the senses. True art, on the other hand, is not merely a matter of pleasure. It may be unpleasant. A favorite Shavian metaphor for the function of the arts is that of tooth-pulling. Even if the patient is under laughing gas, the tooth is still pulled.
The history of aesthetics affords more examples of a didactic than of a hedonist view. But Shaw’s didacticism takes an unusual turn in its application to the history of arts. If, as Shaw holds, ideas are a most important part of a work of art, and if, as he also holds, ideas go out of date, it follows that even the best works of art go out of date in some important respects and that the generally held view that great works are in all respects eternal is not shared by Shaw. In the preface to Three Plays for Puritans, he maintains that renewal in the arts means renewal in philosophy, that the first great artist who comes along after a renewal gives to the new philosophy full and final form, that subsequent artists, though even more gifted, can do nothing but refine upon the master without matching him. Shaw, whose essential modesty is as disarming as his pose of vanity is disconcerting, assigns to himself the role, not of the master, but of the pioneer, the role of a Marlowe rather than of a Shakespeare. “The whirligig of time will soon bring my audiences to my own point of view,” he writes, “and then the next Shakespeare that comes along will turn these petty tentatives of mine into masterpieces final for their epoch.”
“Final for their epoch”—even Shakespearean masterpieces are not final beyond that. No one, says Shaw, will ever write a better tragedy than Lear or a better opera than Don Giovanni or a better music drama than Der Ring des Nibelungen; but just as essential to a play as this aesthetic merit is moral relevance which, if we take a naturalistic and historical view of morals, it loses, or partly loses, in time. Shaw, who has the courage of his historicism, consistently withstands the view that moral problems do not change, and argues therefore that for us modern literature and music form a Bible surpassing in significance the Hebrew Bible. That is Shaw’s anticipatory challenge to the neo-orthodoxy of today.

where you see bold is the beginning of a new one.

generally is the same always :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I see. It seems I just have to train my eyes to spot these words so I can get my way around the text. Thanks!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
with a kudos you say thanks to the others help ;)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Does this amazing technique works also for short passages?.

Surpringly, I've found more complicated to apply that technique to short passages, but for long passages it defenitely works!! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
Send PM
I wonder if any of the GMAC faculty monitor GMATClub's forums to see how students try and 'crack' their testing methods and rectify them in their tests. I guess this is where the questions that aren't marked on the official test that come into play. Since rhyme's method was established in 2006, I am just wondering if it is outdated? i.e. GMAC have become non the wiser to it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
karanamin wrote:
I wonder if any of the GMAC faculty monitor GMATClub's forums to see how students try and 'crack' their testing methods and rectify them in their tests. I guess this is where the questions that aren't marked on the official test that come into play. Since rhyme's method was established in 2006, I am just wondering if it is outdated? i.e. GMAC have become non the wiser to it.

I was wondering the same thing!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Hi Rhyme:
Thanks so much for your very detailed and interesting thread. After read and apply your strategies, I feel they're really helpful for long passages. For short and having only one paragraph passages (frankly, they're much trickier than long passages), however, I'm quite perplexed at applying your method. Please recommend how your strategies - reading first paragraph and 1st sentence of each following paragraphs - could be applied effectively for that kind of passage.

Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT Date: 08-03-2013
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks so much Rhyme for the wonderful thread. I am taking lot of time to answer RC. I will try this approach.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Its amazing this strategy is working, but im always going wrong with inference questions. Is there any thing i could do with this. Request you to reply me and suggest if any.

Thanks & regards,
Sana
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
Hi Rhyme,

Thanks for your post. It was helpful in certain RCs but I was not able to crack this RC pasted below. I've included my notes too. Could you help me out?

Passage -

Between the eighth and eleventh centuries A. D., the Byzantine Empire staged an almost unparalleled economic and cultural revival, a recovery that is all the more striking because it followed a long period of severe internal decline. By the early eighth century, the empire had lost roughly two-thirds of the territory it had possessed in the year 600, and its remaining area was being raided by Arabs and Bulgarians, who at times threatened to take Constantinople and extinguish the empire altogether. The wealth of the state and its subjects was greatly diminished, and artistic and literary production had virtually ceased. By the early eleventh century, however, the empire had regained almost half of its lost possessions, its new frontiers were secure, and its influence extended far beyond its borders. The economy had recovered, the treasury was full, and art and scholarship had advanced.
To consider the Byzantine military, cultural, and economic advances as differentiated aspects of a single phenomenon is reasonable. After all, these three forms of progress have gone together in a number of states and civilizations. Rome under Augustus and fifth-century Athens provide the most obvious examples in antiquity. Moreover, an examination of the apparent sequential connections among military, economic, and cultural forms of progress might help explain the dynamics of historical change.
The common explanation of these apparent connections in the case of Byzantium would run like this: when the empire had turned back enemy raids on its own territory and had begun to raid and conquer enemy territory, Byzantine resources naturally expanded and more money became available to patronize art and literature. Therefore, Byzantine military achievements led to economic advances, which in turn led to cultural revival.
No doubt this hypothetical pattern did apply at times during the course of the recovery. Yet it is not clear that military advances invariably came first, economic advances second, and intellectual advances third. In the 860’s the Byzantine Empire began to recover from Arab incursions so that by 872 the military balance with the Abbasid Caliphate had been permanently altered in the empire’s favor. The beginning of the empire’s economic revival, however, can be placed between 810 and 830. Finally, the Byzantine revival of learning appears to have begun even earlier. A number of notable scholars and writers appeared by 788 and, by the last decade of the eighth century, a cultural revival was in full bloom, a revival that lasted until the fall of Constantinople in 1453. Thus the commonly expected order of military revival followed by economic and then by cultural recovery was reversed in Byzantium. In fact, the revival of Byzantine learning may itself have influenced the subsequent economic and military expansion.

Questions -

1. Which of the following best states the central idea of the passage?
(A) The Byzantine Empire was a unique case in which the usual order of military and economic revival preceding cultural revival was reversed.
(B) The economic, cultural, and military revival in the Byzantine Empire between the eighth and eleventh centuries was similar in its order to the sequence of revivals in Augustan Rome and fifth century Athens.
(C) After 810 Byzantine economic recovery spurred a military and, later, cultural expansion that lasted until 1453.
(D) The eighth-century revival of Byzantine learning is an inexplicable phenomenon, and its economic and military precursors have yet to be discovered.
(E) The revival of the Byzantine Empire between the eighth and eleventh centuries shows cultural rebirth preceding economic and military revival, the reverse of the commonly accepted order of progress.

2. The primary purpose of the second paragraph is which of the following?
(A) To establish the uniqueness of the Byzantine revival
(B) To show that Augustan Rome and fifth-century Athens are examples of cultural, economic, and military expansion against which all subsequent cases must be measured
(C) To suggest that cultural, economic, and military advances have tended to be closely interrelated in different societies
(D) To argue that, while the revivals of Augustan Rome and fifth-century Athens were similar, they are unrelated to other historical examples
(E) To indicate that, wherever possible, historians should seek to make comparisons with the earliest chronological examples of revival

3. It can be inferred from the passage that by the eleventh century the Byzantine military forces
(A) had reached their peak and begun to decline
(B) had eliminated the Bulgarian army
(C) were comparable in size to the army of Rome under Augustus
(D) were strong enough to withstand the Abbasid Caliphate’s military forces
(E) had achieved control of Byzantine governmental structures

4. It can be inferred from the passage that the Byzantine Empire sustained significant territorial losses
(A) in 600
(B) during the seventh century
(C) a century after the cultural achievements of the Byzantine Empire had been lost
(D) soon after the revival of Byzantine learning
(E) in the century after 873

5. In the third paragraph, the author most probably provides an explanation of the apparent connections among economic, military, and cultural development in order to
(A) suggest that the process of revival in Byzantium accords with this model
(B) set up an order of events that is then shown to be not generally applicable to the case of Byzantium
(C) cast aspersions on traditional historical scholarship about Byzantium
(D) suggest that Byzantium represents a case for which no historical precedent exists
(E) argue that military conquest is the paramount element in the growth of empires

6. Which of the following does the author mention as crucial evidence concerning the manner in which the Byzantine revival began?
(A) The Byzantine military revival of the 860’s led to economic and cultural advances.
(B) The Byzantine cultural revival lasted until 1453.
(C) The Byzantine economic recovery began in the 900’s.
(D) The revival of Byzantine learning began toward the end of the eighth century.
(E) By the early eleventh century the Byzantine Empire had regained much of its lost territory.

7. According to the author, “The common explanation” (line 28) of connections between economic, military, and cultural development is
(A) revolutionary and too new to have been applied to the history of the Byzantine Empire
(B) reasonable, but an antiquated theory of the nature of progress
(C) not applicable to the Byzantine revival as a whole, but does perhaps accurately describe limited periods during the revival
(D) equally applicable to the Byzantine case as a whole and to the history of military, economic, and cultural advances in ancient Greece and Rome
(E) essentially not helpful, because military, economic, and cultural advances are part of a single phenomenon

My Notes
Byz cultural revival was striking because it was followed by long period of decline. between 600 and 8th century it lost 2/3rds and remaining area was raided by arabs ansd bulgs who threatened to take constantinople. wealth reduced and art/literary value production almost stopped.
things improved in 11th cent and empire regained more than half of lost stuff, seucre borders and greater influencem economy recovered, treasury full and scolarship advanced.

military,cultural and economic advances was becauseof common phenomenon but differentiated aspects.
rome, augustus, 5th cent, athens, dynamics of hist change

byz empire fought enemies and also conquered enemy terr resulting in more resourses and moremoney to support art and literature.
military and economic advances, cultural revival.

some hypothetical pattern did apply in course of victory. not sure what occured first- economic, military or cultural advances
860,872,abbasid caliphate, 810,830, fallof constatniople in 1453,

OAs
E
C
D
B
B
D
C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Dear rhyme,
Could you explain your RC strategy, for the OG Verbal Review 2nd Ed. paragraph in page #40 and questions from 50 to 55?

I tried your strategy in the following way for the above mentioned paragraph.
Notes:
Para#1:
superior service – competitive advantage, but not all time
inv in srvc – prod, dist = otr inv => direct, tangible – cost (--), revenue (++)
company = competitor by srvc avoid damaging repu=> inv in higher srvc wasted
srvc deciding factor – only xtrm
Para#2:
This truth, managers, regional bank – failed to ++ competitive pos eventhough inv in wait time –
manager, did not recog, inertia, inconvenience in switching banks
no analysis, srvc ++ attract new cust, difficult to copy
only merit, easy description

And I tried answering the Qs using this notes and got 5/6 wrongs.
For this total exercise I took 15m:46s.
Could you guide me where I went wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 02-03-2014
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
Kudos
walletless wrote:
Ok, here is a passage from OG:

--------------------------------------------------
Archaeology as a profession faces two major prob-
lems. First, it is the poorest of the poor. Only paltry
sums are available for excavating and even less is avail-
able for publishing the results and preserving the sites
(5) once excavated. Yet archaeologists deal with priceless
objects every day. Second, there is the problem of illegal
excavation, resulting in museum-quality pieces being
sold to the highest bidder.
I would like to make an outrageous suggestion that
(10) would at one stroke provide funds for archaeology and
reduce the amount of illegal digging. I would propose
that scientific archeological expeditions and govern-
mental authorities sell excavated artifacts on the open
market. Such sales would provide substantial funds for
(15) the excavation and preservation of archaeological sites
and the publication of results. At the same time, they
would break the illegal excavator’s grip on the market,
thereby decreasing the inducement to engage in illegal
activities.
(20) You might object that professionals excavate to
acquire knowledge, not money. Moreover, ancient arti-
facts are part of our global cultural heritage, which
should be available for all to appreciate, not sold to the
highest bidder. I agree. Sell nothing that has unique

(25) artistic merit or scientific value. But, you might reply,
everything that comes our of the ground has scientific
value. Here we part company. Theoretically, you may be
correct in claiming that every artifact has potential scien-
tific value. Practically, you are wrong.
(30) I refer to the thousands of pottery vessels and ancient
lamps that are essentially duplicates of one another. In
one small excavation in Cyprus, archaeologists recently
uncovered 2,000 virtually indistinguishable small jugs in
a single courtyard, Even precious royal seal impressions
(35) known as/melekh handles have been found in abun-
dance---more than 4,000 examples so far.
The basements of museums are simply not large
enough to store the artifacts that are likely to be discov-
ered in the future. There is not enough money even to
(40) catalogue the finds; as a result, they cannot be found
again and become as inaccessible as if they had never
been discovered. Indeed, with the help of a computer,
sold artifacts could be more accessible than are the
pieces stored in bulging museum basements. Prior to
(45) sale, each could be photographed and the list of the
purchasers could be maintained on the computer A
purchaser could even be required to agree to return the
piece if it should become needed for scientific purposes.
It would be unrealistic to suggest that illegal digging
(50) would stop if artifacts were sold on the open market.
But the demand for the clandestine product would be
substantially reduced. Who would want an unmarked
pot when another was available whose provenance was
known, and that was dated stratigraphically by the
professional archaeologist who excavated it?
------------------------------------------------------------

Question:
The author implies that all of the following statements about duplicate artifacts are true EXCEPT:
(A) A market for such artifacts already exists.
(B) Such artifacts seldom have scientific value.
(C) There is likely to be a continuing supply of such artifacts.
(D) Museums are well supplied with examples of such artifacts.
(E) Such artifacts frequently exceed in quality those already catalogued in museum collections.

okay, i'm bumping this as well as asking if the answer is A?
Also, i took like 1:52,1:12,1:51,2:08 for the 4 paragraphs respectively Total: around 7 minutes
and I answered the question in 1:06
How to improve, please help @rhyme and @walletless
GMAT Club Bot
Re: [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts