Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [5]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 2013 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink]
Dakells wrote:
Hey Guys! Thanks for setting up this thread HookemHorns. I have been reading last year's thread to get an idea of what we are all in for. Doesn't look good, ha! Anyways, I'm going to wait until the 7th to contact. I think if you haven't taken yourself off the list they know you're still interested.

Why do you say it doesn't look good? I hear Kellogg's one of the best with its wait list movement?

Lets get in!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Send PM
Thanks for setting up this thread! I'm waiting until 7 Jan before calling - I figured admissions people will be enjoying their holidays and we may not get hold of our WL manager anyway.

All the best to everyone in the WL! Let's wait it out together :D

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi, this is my first post on this site. Does any one have any stats from last years on what %age of candidates from the wait list made it?

Originally posted by zeher on 22 Dec 2012, 12:41.
Last edited by zeher on 22 Dec 2012, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello all,

i am also new here.

I am on the WL aswell.

looks like we have some fun time ahead of us :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Thanks to hookemhorns612 for setting this up, and to everyone else for the input so far. I am waitlisted as well and will be waiting anxiously for any updates from the AdCom. Good luck to one and all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.63
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
am on the wl for the 1-Y...intend to wait until the week of 7-jan to contact ad com.
wish all of us the wl best to make it to the program of our choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [4]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys. Hang in there.

I’m a first year who was fortunate to get off of the WL last summer. I do not represent the admissions team and don’t have any secret insight into how to get off the WL, but will share and summarize what I did last year. Not saying you should do what I did. This is just what I did. I hope it helps.

I applied R2 and got notice I was on WL in late March 2012, a few days after admit decisions were released. I was told to contact admissions after a certain date to connect with my WL manager. I called them on the first day I was told to call (no earlier) and had a 15 min convo with my WL manager who said there was nothing specific in my app that I needed to address. I was told to just send regular updates on what I was doing professionally as needed. I ended the convo reiterating my interest to be on the WL.

48 hours later, I emailed my WL manager a short email thanking them for our talk, reiterated again my interested in Kellogg, and attached an essay that summarized major milestones in my life since my application. The essay was just under 600 words with roughly 70% dedicated to significant professional accomplishments since applying (i.e. major milestones of my startup), 20% dedicated non-professional accomplishments (i.e. my non-profit & community service work), and 10% dedicated to how Kellogg is a good fit for me (i.e. my campus visit after applying, recent conversations with students, etc.). I ended with one short sentence saying I would accept admission if taken off the WL. I did not repeat ANYTHING from my application essays. It was 100% updates and new information. I was also as succinct as possible. I would have written only 400 words if I had less updates.

Roughly a month later (and about one week before Kellogg said they would release updates to WL), I sent another email, even shorter than last, restating my interest in Kellogg and asking if they needed anything from me to help make a decision on the upcoming WL update. I did not attach any additional essay since I had no major updates. Got a reply thanking me for my continued interest and saying they don’t need anything. A month later, got the phone call.

That’s it. I only sent two emails during the entire process and I only called them once for that initial call. If I had not gotten the call to be admitted, I would have sent out another essay with updates. I did not send additional recs. I didn’t ask any current students to “vouch” for me (as a current student, I don’t even know how that works). I did not visit the campus again.

I recommend going through old posts and see what other people did. I think all generic advice in managing your WL applies to Kellogg so read up on that. Overall, I imagine the point is to keep in contact with admissions and show interest. Update them with relevant and significant pieces of info every 3-5 weeks. Then hope and pray.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by oodl on 26 Dec 2012, 12:38.
Last edited by oodl on 27 Dec 2012, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi, I am also on the WL for the one-year program and would like to be on the list.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday break!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.38
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
WL for me as well. It is killing me to wait so long to contact the Kellogg office, but I suppose that they have families and whatnot.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Zomba wrote:
WL for me as well. It is killing me to wait so long to contact the Kellogg office, but I suppose that they have families and whatnot.

What are ya talkin about? Didn't you know that all AdCom people are cloned from a huge AdCom Android central???
sheesh...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [4]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
Just to add on to oodl's point:

I was also on the WL last year and eventually admitted. Assuming the waitlist is structured the same way it was last year, there are two kinds of people on the waitlist.

1 - An applicant who fits the criteria, but has gaps in the application
2 - An applicant who fits the criteria, but may be over represented in the class

During my initial call with the adcom (after the jan. deadline they set for when we could call), I found out that I fit the first type of waitlist applicant. I structured my response (approx. 400 words) to fill the gaps that may not have been explained well in my application. Much of it was related to the transition from my previous career to my long term goals and how Kellogg fit into that plan. After a few weeks of waiting I got the admit call. There is no exact science for getting off the waitlist. If you fit the second type of WL applicant, you will get the "there is nothing we need from you at this time" response. In that case, I suggest only to send an email when you have updates to share as oodl demonstrated. For some students, the admit response is quick, for others, it might feel like a lifetime. Good luck to you all and if I can help in any way, let me know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
hookemhorns612 wrote:
Dakells wrote:
Hey Guys! Thanks for setting up this thread HookemHorns. I have been reading last year's thread to get an idea of what we are all in for. Doesn't look good, ha! Anyways, I'm going to wait until the 7th to contact. I think if you haven't taken yourself off the list they know you're still interested.

Why do you say it doesn't look good? I hear Kellogg's one of the best with its wait list movement?

Lets get in!

Definitely agree that there is more movement on Kellogg's waitlist than some other schools, so in that sense we can be hopeful. Just seems like it could potentially be a LONG process for some. But a positive result in the end would certainly make it worth it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Dude - how the hell am I supposed to be expected to execute like Captain Jack Sparrow...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
hookemhorns612 wrote:
Dude - how the hell am I supposed to be expected to execute like Captain Jack Sparrow...

lol, you'll be fine, to make it this far means you've already executed well
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Also WL for the 2Y program in R1. Luckily work has been plenty busy enough to keep my mind off of it until next week.

I got into Ross, and both schools were a tie for my top-choice, so I'm still extremely happy... but I think it would feel nice to have a choice.

Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Anyone call yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14