Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [28]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [14]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [9]
Given Kudos: 38
 Q48  V32
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, [#permalink]
Kudos
according to me answer should be D

Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s ---> as a modifier describes when the novel reached the peak of its sales
while

when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat---> refers to period of cold war
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, [#permalink]
Kudos
Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

E confuses the timing of events
here it seems that most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat in 1960 while it was the time when sales peaked out.. actual time of perceived that was during the cold war which was prior to 1960.. which we perceive by the use of ''as the result of tensions during the Cold War''

Best Regards,
Mansoor

PS: Please consider kudos if you found it useful
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [5]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
veenu08 wrote:
Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

A. Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

B. The spy novel, regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. to be a constant threat.

C. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, in the 1960s the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

D. Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

E. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

Can someone please explain why D is incorrect as I am not able to figure out any grammatical mistake in that

D. Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.
the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War ... this part incorrectly conveys that the spy novel was a result of the war, whereas actually the sales were a result of the war.
E. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.
Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s,
This statement correctly modifies everything correctly

Hope it helps! and if it does, press the kudos button please :)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
a very tricky one, yet I got to E as the answer choice.

what was regarded as a result of tensions? the spy novel? maybe the sales? as a result of the tensions, people started buying more spy novels.
regarded to be is incorrect
perceived USSR like - no - we do not need a comparison here. Maybe as to present the role of USSR? USSR played the role of a threat.

A. Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.
Regarded to be - nope
USSR like a threat - nope
meaning error as well.
novel reached - awkward to me...
maybe sales reached tops in 1960?

B. The spy novel, regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. to be a constant threat.
regarded to be - nope.
perceived USSR to be - nope, changes the meaning.

C. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, in the 1960s the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.
opening modifier error.
like - incorrectly used.

changes the meaning. the focus is from reaching the tops in 1960 to being regarded ...

looks good..analysts believe that the sales reached top because of the cold war..best from what is given..

E for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [5]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
TGC wrote:
49. Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

Source: Brutal SC

I do not believe this is a good GMAT question. It has a problem with meaning.

We can eliminate A and C because they use “like” incorrectly.
We can eliminated A, and B, and for the incorrect use if the idiom “regarded to be” instead of “regarded as”; we can also eliminate B for the use of “perceived to be” instead of “perceived as.”

The other choices can be eliminated because they change the meaning of the original sentence.

The main clause in the original sentence is: “the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s,” and “Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War,” modifies the subject “the spy novel”, not “sales of the spy novel.” This eliminates choice E. Some people have argued that what the author meant was that the sales were the result of the tensions, but the sentence does not say so; the novel itself can be the result of the tensions, and there is nothing to support that the author meant something else.

Even though choice D conveys the same information changes the focus from ” the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s” to “the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War.” In addition, the modifier “when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat” modifies “cold war” instead of “the 1960s.” Even if the cold war was in progress during the 1960s, the cold war started before the 1960s and ended after the 1960s; thus these concepts are not the same.

A good GMAT sentence would not change the meaning. Only if the meaning of the original sentence does not make sense, we can assume that the author's intention was something else.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
perceived as is the correct idiom. only D and E has this correctly.

Option E incorrectly modifies sales instead of the book. meaning is ambiguous.

Hence D is only option Left
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
deepthit wrote:
perceived as is the correct idiom. only D and E has this correctly.

Option E incorrectly modifies sales instead of the book. meaning is ambiguous.

Hence D is only option Left

I believe the E retains the original meaning of the sentence and Analysts are correcting regarding the sales as a result of something. So, I dont think E has ambiguity issue.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, [#permalink]
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The original sentence contains several errors. First, the proper idiom is "to regard as" not "to regard to be". Second, the initial modifier "regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War" should modify "sales" and not "the spy novel." Third, the proper idiom is "to perceive as" not "to perceive like".
(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.
(B) The modifier "regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War" incorrectly describes the spy novel when it should modify sales of the spy novel. Moreover, the modifier use of "regarded . . . to be" is unidiomatic.
(C) The modifier "regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War" incorrectly describes the spy novel when it should modify sales of the spy novel. Additionally, the phrase "perceived the U.S.S.R like" is unidiomatic.
(D) The modifier "reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s" incorrectly describes the spy novel when it should modify sales of the spy novel.
(E) CORRECT. "Sales" is correctly positioned as the subject of the opening modifier. Additionally, the phrases "regarded by analysts as . . ." and "perceived the U.S.S.R as" are idiomatic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM