Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '16
Send PM
Re: Personalities of the Top Schools [#permalink]
GMATLA wrote:
Well I have to admit this question is almost impossible to answer... to really learn what is behind each school you have to visit the school, meet students, alumni, and teachers... and also meet prospective applicants. You have to also see what the schools are known for, what kind of jobs they place into, and even where they're located. Since you're new, I'm sure it seems overwhelming. But ultimately, you should try to narrow down your choices, visit your top choices, and apply to your top schools.

Here's a thread that might give you a little flavor: if-business-schools-were-car-brands-updated-110291-20.html relating cars to bschools

Hi GMATLA,
Interesting analogy between b schools and cars , but the link you posted doesn't work ?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I found the original article...enjoy :)
https://mbaapply.blogspot.com/2011/03/ho ... s.html?m=1

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
I found the original article...enjoy :)
https://mbaapply.blogspot.com/2011/03/ho ... s.html?m=1

Posted from my mobile device

I think this description of CBS is a little out of date. I don't know if it was the grade non-disclosure policy or what, but CBS is does not have people competing against each other. I'm currently a first year at CBS and was drawn here by the friendly current students that were very willing and eager to help with any questions I had while I was just an applicant. Other than getting the job I was pursuing, I wanted a school full of people that were going to make plenty of time during their 2 years to have as much fun as possible together and that's what I got.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [4]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I went to visit the schools a few months ago and here are my thoughts on each school, in the order visited:

Berkeley: everyone was pretty down to earth, and I can definitely see myself being friends with the students.

Stanford: I felt that everyone was very chill yet super smart, which is I think is rare combo to find. The level of discussion in the classes were unpretentious and no one is trying to show off but you definitely can tell, just by the way folks spoke, that they were very educated and smart.

Wharton: another school where I felt the students were very smart but they were not as relaxed as the Stanford kids. Maybe it was the East Coast culture (I'm from West Coast), but I felt that the students were a little more cutthroat. I say this as a completely neutral comment; not a bad or good thing, but just what I felt. An interesting thing that I don't think I would've discovered unless I visited the school was the party culture. The student panel alluded to the social scene many times, and my friend who currently goes there say everyone just parties.

Columbia: I found that the student body was a good blend of laid-back students and gunners (aka alpha females/males). A lot of students talked about how they picked Columbia because they felt like they could make friends at the school. Combined with the awesome location of being in NY, I really liked Columbia.

HBS: very formal; when the instructor introduced us as the class visitors, the whole class gave us a standing ovation. So very well mannered students. Definite difference between HBS and GSB students, so you'll have to decide which one you like. I hear most folks only get into one and very rare get into both any lol.

MIT: first school to provide lunch to all visitors :). Then we got into small discussion groups for Q&A sessions with each student. By far, most participation by current students out of all of the schools we visited, which I appreciated that they'd give their time to prospective applicants like that. Their info sessions and what they told us was that MIT is very collaborative, and even though I didn't have enough time to see whether that was true or not, everything that happened on my visit day definitely made me feel like there's a environment there that would support such a claim.

That's all I got! Didn't go up to Tuck or visit the Chicago duo, so if anyone has any comments from their school visit, definitely chime in.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [3]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos