Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [62]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [13]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [8]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink]
Kudos
GyanOne wrote:
From the given statements, we can conclude that y is prime. Therefore xy will be divisible by 3 if x is divisible by 3. Number of multiples of x between 10 and 21 inclusive = 4

Therefore probability = 4/12 = 1/3

Option B

we need to discuss a little bit here.

I agree that y is prime. However y is also chosen, so the probability for a prime number chosen is 13/41. And the probability for x divisible by 3 is 4/12
So the result is (13/41)*(4/12).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3118 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
akhandamandala wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
From the given statements, we can conclude that y is prime. Therefore xy will be divisible by 3 if x is divisible by 3. Number of multiples of x between 10 and 21 inclusive = 4

Option B

I agree that y is prime. However y is also chosen, so the probability for a prime number chosen is 13/41. And the probability for x divisible by 3 is 4/12

We do not have to worry about choosing y. We are already given that y is prime. So no matter what number we choose as y, we still have to only find out the probability for choosing x. If otherwise, the question had asked for the number of ways in which xy would be divisible by 3, then the number of ways in which y could be selected would have to have been considered.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Would it have been complex if it were given that B consists of all prime numbers from 1 to 50, inclusive?
Will it be \(1/3 + 1/15\) then?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3118 [0]
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
Would it have been complex if it were given that B consists of all prime numbers from 1 to 50, inclusive?
Will it be \(1/3 + 1/15\) then?

Is that not what the question is already effectively asking??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The question says that B consists of all integers from 10 to 50, inclusive.
VP
VP
Send PM
Marcab wrote:

True.. But the options to choose Y is essentially a set of prime numbers between 10 and 50...
Director
Director
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
Marcab wrote:

True.. But the options to choose Y is essentially a set of prime numbers between 10 and 50...

I agree that indirectly it is stating that B consists of prime numbers from 10 to 50, but my query was rather different.
Suppose, if it were given that B consists of all prime numbers from 1 to 50 rather than 10 to 50, then what will be the answer.
I hope, I am being clear this time.
VP
VP
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Marcab wrote:

I agree that indirectly it is stating that B consists of prime numbers from 10 to 50, but my query was rather different.
Suppose, if it were given that B consists of all prime numbers from 1 to 50 rather than 10 to 50, then what will be the answer.
I hope, I am being clear this time.

Oh.. Sorry. I read that as 10 to 50 again... I'm not very sure. But let me give it a try

edit:

If it is 1 to 50,

For required outcome : y is 3 and x is any number or y is not 3 and x is a multiple of 3

\(\frac{1}{15} * 1 + \frac{14}{15} * \frac{4}{12}\)

\(= \frac{12}{15*12} + \frac{14*4}{15*12}\)

\(= \frac{68}{180} = \frac{17}{45}\)

A very ugly answer and lots of calculator work.. There should be an easier more correct way..

Originally posted by MacFauz on 02 Jan 2013, 04:22.
Last edited by MacFauz on 02 Jan 2013, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MacFauz wrote:
akhandamandala wrote:
GyanOne wrote:

Option B

We do not have to worry about choosing y. We are already given that y is prime. So no matter what number we choose as y, we still have to only find out the probability for choosing x. If otherwise, the question had asked for the number of ways in which xy would be divisible by 3, then the number of ways in which y could be selected would have to have been considered.

Thanks for your reply. I would like to defend my idea:

"Set B consists of all the integers between 10 and 50, inclusive" means set B will contain prime and non-prime numbers
"If x is a number chosen randomly from Set A" means x is chosen randomly from set A without limitation condition
"y is a number chosen randomly from Set B, and y has no factor z such that 1 < z < y" means y is also chosen like x but with condition.
So y is not a given number, y must be chosen from set B and satisfy the condition "has no factor z such that 1 < z < y".

Now take a look from another view:
"Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclusive. Set B consists of all the integers between 10 and 50, inclusive. If x is a number chosen randomly from Set A, y is a number chosen randomly from Set B, what is the probability that the product xy is divisible by 3?"
The condition for y in this version is removed, so what is your idea in this case ???
VP
VP
Send PM
akhandamandala wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
akhandamandala wrote:

Option B

"Set B consists of all the integers between 10 and 50, inclusive" means set B will contain prime and non-prime numbers
"If x is a number chosen randomly from Set A" means x is chosen randomly from set A without limitation condition
"y is a number chosen randomly from Set B, and y has no factor z such that 1 < z < y" means y is also chosen like x but with condition.
So y is not a given number, y must be chosen from set B and satisfy the condition "has no factor z such that 1 < z < y".

"Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclusive. Set B consists of all the integers between 10 and 50, inclusive. If x is a number chosen randomly from Set A, y is a number chosen randomly from Set B, what is the probability that the product xy is divisible by 3?"
The condition for y in this version is removed, so what is your idea in this case ???

In such a case, there are 13 ways in which y can be selected to be a multiple of 3 and 28 ways in which y can be selected to not be a multiple of 3.

\(\frac{13}{41} * 1 + \frac{28}{41}* \frac{4}{12}\)

\(= \frac{67}{123}\)

i believe the fact the y is a prime number greater than 10 given in the original question is significant because it clearly says that y CANNOT be a multiple of 3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
akhandamandala wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

In such a case, there are 13 ways in which y can be selected to be a multiple of 3 and 28 ways in which y can be selected to not be a multiple of 3.

\(\frac{13}{41} * 1 + \frac{28}{41}* \frac{4}{12}\)

\(= \frac{67}{123}\)

i believe the fact the y is a prime number greater than 10 given in the original question is significant because it clearly says that y CANNOT be a multiple of 3.

That's very good. We step by step go to the mutual agreement that "y is a number chosen randomly from Set B" means there are various ways in which y is chosen; so y may be a prime or may be a non-prime number. What is the probability that y will be a prime number?
Director
Director
Send PM
Quote:
For required outcome : y is 3 and x is any number or y is not 3 and x is a multiple of 3

MacFauz why have you neglected the 3 in the other one? Can't we take any number just as it was done earlier?
VP
VP
Send PM
@akhandamandala : I believe that in the original question, it is given that "y" is a prime number. So, the probability that y will be prime is 100%.

@Marcab : I have already considered a situation where y is 3 and x is a multiple of 3 in the first scenario. Hence, in the second scenario, I am considering only a situation where y is not a multiple of 3 and x is a multiple of 3. If in the second case, "y" is not 3 and "x" is also not a multiple of 3, then the product would not be divisible by 3.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [1]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
y has no factor z such that 1 < z < y this means that y is a prime and it has to lie between 10 and 50 inclusive. Now, since the product of xy is divisible by 3 so that means that we have to look for multiples of 3 in set A since primes from set B are all greater than 3. Set B has 12 elements and out of which 4 are multiples of 3 so probability should be 4/12 = 1/3.

Consider giving kudos if my post helped.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
I'm little bit confused here.
The way GyanOne provided is pretty logical and I like it but I have a conundrum with more choosey approach.

In Set A we have 12 integers, these ones divisble by 3 - 12, 15,18, 21 - 4 numbers
In set B we have 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47 - 11 prime numbers

prob of xy divisible by 3 = (xy's divisble by 3)/(total possible xy's)

xy's divisible by 3= 11x4=44
total possible xy's= 11x12-4=128, I deduct 4 to avoid double counting of 11, 13, 17,19 as these appear in both sets

so, I have 44/128=11/32, slightly more that 1/3.

please, tell me where am I wrong here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
alexeykaplin wrote:
I'm little bit confused here.
The way provided is pretty logical and I like it but I have a conundrum with more choosey approach.

In Set A we have 12 integers, these ones divisble by 3 - 12, 15,18, 21 - 4 numbers
In set B we have 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47 - 11 prime numbers

prob of xy divisible by 3 = (xy's divisble by 3)/(total possible xy's)

xy's divisible by 3= 11x4=44
total possible xy's= 11x12-4=128, I deduct 4 to avoid double counting of 11, 13, 17,19 as these appear in both sets

so, I have 44/128=11/32, slightly more that 1/3.

please, tell me where am I wrong here.

It is already given that y is being chosen from the list of prime numbers, and hence there will be a probability of 1 if we choose any number from y.
And for x, we have to find the probability of choosing a multiple of 3. Hence, the final probability is 4/12*1 = 1/3
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Statistics, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
tarunktuteja wrote:
y has no factor z such that 1 < z < y this means that y is a prime and it has to lie between 10 and 50 inclusive. Now, since the product of xy is divisible by 3 so that means that we have to look for multiples of 3 in set A since primes from set B are all greater than 3. Set B has 12 elements and out of which 4 are multiples of 3 so probability should be 4/12 = 1/3.

Consider giving kudos if my post helped.

After following all the discussion on this thread, I feel that considering only x is not correct. The question clearly states that y is the probability of selected a prime number from the set B. And then it asks for the probability of product xy being divisible by 3! Clearly we cannot assume that y will always be prime. We need to take it into consideration that we have picked y as a prime number from B and x as a factor of 3 from set A. The events x and y are definitely not mutually exclusive in this case as we need to find the probability for product xy . Also there can be cases where y if not prime could be a multiple of 3 and then xy would still be divisible by 3!

Please highlight if I'm overlooking something, But clearly the options and OA isnt correct.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts