Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Looking for Career/MBA Advice [#permalink]
globalenjoi wrote:
I'm not opposed to waiting. My main concern with waiting is that I'll just end up stuck with some job that doesn't require an undergrad degree. Will a top tier business school really be much happier if I spent a year or two working at Walmart or something similar for minimum wage?

Ah, I understand the rush now. No, I don't think one of these top-tier business school would be okay with seeing a minimum-wage job for two years before you apply. However, you need to remember that a lot of the business school experience is about learning from your classmates, so it is typically pretty hard for people just out of undergrad to get into a top-tier school.

If going to a top business school is your end goal, it sounds like you should be focused on getting a job that uses your degree in the short-term and see if you still want to apply in a few years. There are people who go from TFA/AmeriCorps/Peace Corps to business school. I don't want to pry into your disability, but perhaps you can look into a philanthropic path for a few years if you don't think you can land a job (in Oklahoma?) that will use your college degree.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
If going to a top business school is your end goal, it sounds like you should be focused on getting a job that uses your degree in the short-term and see if you still want to apply in a few years. There are people who go from TFA/AmeriCorps/Peace Corps to business school. I don't want to pry into your disability, but perhaps you can look into a philanthropic path for a few years if you don't think you can land a job (in Oklahoma?) that will use your college degree.

My disability really isn't a touchy subject. My drill sergeants made a terrible decision that resulted in an officer cadet breaking my arm about an inch above the elbow, and the Army decided to let it heal without doing any surgery. It was a really nasty fracture, and now my arm is crooked. As a result, I have elbow issues from the weird alignment, a large amount of scar tissue that, and according to the doctors I'm going to have on-and-off pain in it forever. But I consider myself really, really lucky considering others leave military service with far worse injuries.

I am in Oklahoma, and you can be sure that there isn't a lot of work for someone who has been studying Arabic. Really, the closest thing I can think of is getting some position with the government or military. I have a Top Secret clearance right now, and it won't last and I don't want it to go to waste. But even so, are these things that a business school is going to care about?

Again, I really appreciate the feedback. I haven't had a lot of luck getting this kind of advice at my current school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
WE:Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
My understanding is that business schools want to see work experience. What you might want to do is try to prep and sit for the GMAT to see what your score range is to see what range of schools you can reasonably look at. I am applying to MBA programs with a much worse GPA than you, but with 6 yrs job experience. I think a major reason they want work experience is they want you to be marketable to employers. Without any work experience you are coming in at a severe disadvantage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I am a new member and I always wanted to contribute my small part for the forum to learn together and share knowledge...I look forward to your help as i have visited many sites where i found different ideas about my career. i think according to my nature developing my own business may be at little scale is good for me rather than going to job in anyone's office.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
GMAT Tutor
1906 posts