Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [18]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Re: St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]
Kudos
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the past ten years, one or more of its students have always got selected to the national math olympiad team.

Which of the following is an underlying assumption of the argument above?

A. If a student of a school doesn't get selected to the national math olympiad team, then that school cannot be considered good
B. At least one of the students of the best school in a city is highly talented in math.
C.Selection to the national math olympiad team is extremely difficult
D. Selection of students of a school to the national math olympiad team can be a good indicator of the quality of that school.
E.Most of the brightest students do not compete for a place in the national math olympiad team

"Have got selected" is incorrect. It should be "have been selected". The original sentence does not make much sense. I am assuming that that St. John's is the best school and that, as in each of the past ten years, one or most of its students have been selected to the national math olympiad team. If that is true, the sentence should read something like "St. John's is the best school in the city, and as in the past ten years, one or more of its student have been selected to the national math olympiad team." The original sentence is confusing because it does not make clear what "as in each of the past ten years" is modifying.
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
commdiver wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
St.John's is the best school in the city because one or more of its students have always got selected to the national math olympiad team in the past ten years.

A. If a student of a school doesn't get selected to the national math olympiad team, then that school cannot be considered good
B. At least one of the students of the best school in a city is highly talented in math.
D. Selection of students of a school to the national math olympiad team can be a good indicator of the quality of that school.
E.Most of the brightest students do not compete for a place in the national math olympiad team

"Have got selected" is incorrect. It should be "have been selected". The original sentence does not make much sense. I am assuming that that St. John's is the best school and that, as in each of the past ten years, one or most of its students have been selected to the national math olympiad team. If that is true, the sentence should read something like "St. John's is the best school in the city, and as in the past ten years, one or more of its student have been selected to the national math olympiad team." The original sentence is confusing because it does not make clear what "as in each of the past ten years" is modifying.

No I do not mean " and as in each of the past ten years"

Here is a paraphrase of what I wrote:

St.John's is the best school in the city because its students have always been selected to the national math olympiad team.

I have slightly modified the sentence though to make it more readily understandable.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32859 [1]
Given Kudos: 4452
Send PM
Kudos
Instead, I like this kind of question, straight like a sword. It is not confused at all

And pretty tough

D is the best the others are more or less irrelevant.

Please, if you post a question then do not edit. Better doing a new post and delete the previous one

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html

Thanks.

Regards
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
Please, if you post a question then do not edit. Better doing a new post and delete the previous one

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html

Thanks.

Sorry folks I was not aware of the rules but nothing substantive has been changed though. But I do understand that I have to stick to the rules.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I thought of D, but the " Can " in the statement confused me.... So, I opted for A.

Any explanation why A is incorrect?
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
targetbschool wrote:
I thought of D, but the " Can " in the statement confused me.... So, I opted for A.

Any explanation why A is incorrect?

A is incorrect because there may be more than one measure of the quality of a school. The author implies that selection to the national math olympiad team is the preeminent measure in that case. Thus choice A is wrong because a school may be good on other yardsticks and so be considered good.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
St.John's is the best school in the city because one or more of its students have always got selected to the national math olympiad team in the past ten years.

good question. reminds me of an e-gmat example with GMATClub members and GMAT test takers who get high scores. :)

so, the assumption here must be that if a school has its students selected for national math olympiad team, then the school can be considered a good one.

this one is way too strong. but wait, there are a lot of other students who do not get selected for the math olympiad team, but they might be very good at history, english literature, etc. this one uses way too strong words, such as "cannot be considered". this doesn't allow for any "possibilities". this one tells for certain that if from a school students are not selected for math olympiad, then the school is not a good one. because of this, A can be eliminated.

well, it might be true, but we need an assumption to support the claim that the school is the best in town. So B is out.

it might be true, or might not. negate this one. The conclusion still stands even if the negated version of C is added to the argument. C is out.

Aha! basically what I mentioned above. looks good.
let's try to negate this one:
selection cannot be a good indicator of the quality of the school. wow, now the conclusion is just simply destroyed. so this is a good candidate for the correct answer. let's check for E.

well, this one is out of scope, and completely irrelevant to the conclusion.

D so far is the best answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 339
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
here we need to look for options which give reference to the quality of the education.

C and D are the main contenders. and D wins as it talks about the selection of students to math olympiad and the indicator of the quality of the school.
Director
Director
Send PM
St.John's is the best school in the city as in each of the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Asac123 wrote:
Why is it not A????

A=> B does not mean not A=> not B

St.John's is considered the best because its students get selected to the math olympiad but the students of the school not getting selected to the math olympiad does not imply that the school is not good.
Own Kudos [?]: 1969 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM

A. If a student of a school doesn't get selected to the national math olympiad team, then that school cannot be considered good -This is a very extreme statement.
B. At least one of the students of the best school in a city is highly talented in math. -Okay. This is a fact set. Irrelevant
C.Selection to the national math olympiad team is extremely difficult -Okay. This is a fact set. Irrelevant
D. Selection of students of a school to the national math olympiad team can be a good indicator of the quality of that school. -Correct. This bridges the gap between the conclusion and the premise.
E.Most of the brightest students do not compete for a place in the national math olympiad team -Okay. This is a fact set. Irrelevant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
This question is one of the worst Qs ever

Option D talks about the 'Quality' of school which can be literally anything.

Is there any way I can penalize the author of this question? please help
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts