Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: IB in the US - how many days off per year on average? [#permalink]
Coincidentally some folks I know in NY do own a Ferrari or a lambourghini ... And from my understanding, driving those around manhattan = not fun.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:INSEAD 12J
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: M&A IB
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks, edwarise, for your different perspective.

It seems, however, that many people here are not as receptive to diversity as they could have been. Having lived both in a post-Soviet country, in a prosperous country in Europe and in the US (I attended an Ivy there), I clearly see the underlying differences in the mentalities of the participants. I think for many Americans (not all of course, but for many, especially of the Asian American background where studying hard and following "secure" careers is extra emphasized) pelihu's view is much closer than the more European perspective of edwarise, with its rich heritage of humanism (the idea of the realization of full human potential comes from the Renaissance) and the history of social struggle for better life (Marx, Heidegger, etc). It would be great, however, if the proponents of pelihu's view were a bit more open towards other cultures. I am afraid, however, that by so doing they would lose faith in their own words...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
devidjoli wrote:
You may have 10 weeks off, but no one likes it when you take that time off consecutively. I have never been away for more than 2-weeks in the near decade I've been working.............

Sorry my friend, you don't know what is good in life :-D . One time I got 37 days off straight and was the best thing I've ever done in my life. I backpacked throughout Europe, from France to Croacia, from Sweden to Italy, an experience that I learned a lot about other cultures and about life. This is the kind of experience that is impossible to do with only one to two weeks.

Even if your are married, you can have an amazing experience with your wife. For example, staying 30 days in Tuscany, living in an amazing vineyard while taking Italian classes everyday is unbelievable.

When I graduate from BSchool, I will take at least 30 days off before staring working to do a backpack again, this time through Scadinavia... :wink:
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
great information Pelihu! thank you for sharing your insight!!!!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Old thread but feeling it is worth a gentle bump :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
I think "investment banking" and "days off" should never appear in the same sentence :lol: If you are concerned about off time, an industry known for its brutal 100-hour work weeks may not be for you.
MBA Prep School President & Co-Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Completely agree with the previous poster's sentiment -- management consulting is a heavy schedule (I was a partner in a couple of the major firms earlier in my career); investment banking is an absolutely crushing schedule.

If you're thinking hard about vacations you need to either choose your firms very carefully and/or think about a different career path!

Cheers, Chris
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
So - not to hijack this thread, but its related - what finance related careers have more reasonable hours and vacation? I'm fine working 60-70 hours, but investment banking sounds more than that. And I like taking my vacation :-D

Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
There is this picture in my head in which
IB - Hours and hours of number crunching and monotonous repetitive work
MC - Solving new puzzles

Although I do know that this is not entirely true, I still find myself leaning towards MC. Would glady do 80 hours of solving new puzzles than 100 hours of repetitive work..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
MC - Solving new puzzles

Although I do know that this is not entirely true, I still find myself leaning towards MC. Would glady do 80 hours of solving new puzzles than 100 hours of repetitive work..

And many people agree with you. You just make the trade-off of lower earnings potential. Years 1-2 out of business school you might not see a huge difference in pay (maybe $20-30k in banking's favor) but when you start hitting the VP+ levels the pay in banking takes off exponentially compared to consulting. Goes back to that lovely work/life balance that is a different priority for everybody.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
MC - Solving new puzzles

And many people agree with you. You just make the trade-off of lower earnings potential. Years 1-2 out of business school you might not see a huge difference in pay (maybe $20-30k in banking's favor) but when you start hitting the VP+ levels the pay in banking takes off exponentially compared to consulting. Goes back to that lovely work/life balance that is a different priority for everybody.

Maybe I can cope with working for all that time... But I see absolutely no time for a good night's sleep (maybe 6 hours) and at least an hour at the gym..... It's not until people lose it that they realize that good health really is the most important wealth...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
MC - Solving new puzzles

MC is not puzzle solving as it may appear from Case Studies etc. MC is a people driven business. To really excel in MC(Partner Level) you need to be a people person. I Banking is pretty boring. However there are other areas of Finance such as Investment Research, Financial Advisory that involve more domain knowledge than MC and are less boring than I-Banking. However have been told that I Banking in an entry ticket to these roles.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts