Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
pinchharmonic wrote:
hey everyone, I had my interview yesterday. Overall, I'd say it was a good experience. I feel I could have answered some questions better, but I think the nerves got to me, at least for the first 10 minutes.

Here are the questions I was asked

- Point out the career progression (this was really a walk me through your resume, but with an emphasis on career transitions in my current position)
- Goals
- Why MBA? Was not asked exactly like that, asked more like well if your goal is XYZ why do you need an MBA?
- Why Haas?
- What would your manager say about you?
- Tell me about strengths/weakness
- Tell me about a mistake you made.
- If you were CEO what would you do?
- how are you different than other engineers?
- Questions for me?

Now that I think about it, there were a whole lotta questions .. certainly more than I anticipated.

Engineers... stay non-technical

Best of luck to everyone.

Originally I had my interview scheduled on the 19th but then they called me and said there is a scheduling conflict and asked if I could move it to 21st. maybe it was you that reserved the same spot as me?? lol

anyway i just had my interview this morning. i thought it went a little better than i thought. i was really nervous and wrote up a draft and was trying to memorize most of it. i didn't want to sound like a robot so i eventually dumped it and went a little freestyle.

it was the basic questions like you listed. at least now i can start my holiday without worry about interview. I didn't get the CEO question but i had a few others. i felt it was a little short. the interviewer kept on monitoring the clock. we went over the time limit by 5 minutes and i felt i could have said more.

my interviewer isn't really part of the admission committee... my interviewer actually went to MBA at a different school (a very good one too). my interviewer is only helping out the Haas adcom because thats where the passion lies in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
1ch1ban wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:
hey everyone, I had my interview yesterday. Overall, I'd say it was a good experience. I feel I could have answered some questions better, but I think the nerves got to me, at least for the first 10 minutes.

Here are the questions I was asked

- Point out the career progression (this was really a walk me through your resume, but with an emphasis on career transitions in my current position)
- Goals
- Why MBA? Was not asked exactly like that, asked more like well if your goal is XYZ why do you need an MBA?
- Why Haas?
- What would your manager say about you?
- Tell me about strengths/weakness
- Tell me about a mistake you made.
- If you were CEO what would you do?
- how are you different than other engineers?
- Questions for me?

Now that I think about it, there were a whole lotta questions .. certainly more than I anticipated.

Engineers... stay non-technical

Best of luck to everyone.

Originally I had my interview scheduled on the 19th but then they called me and said there is a scheduling conflict and asked if I could move it to 21st. maybe it was you that reserved the same spot as me?? lol

anyway i just had my interview this morning. i thought it went a little better than i thought. i was really nervous and wrote up a draft and was trying to memorize most of it. i didn't want to sound like a robot so i eventually dumped it and went a little freestyle.

it was the basic questions like you listed. at least now i can start my holiday without worry about interview. I didn't get the CEO question but i had a few others. i felt it was a little short. the interviewer kept on monitoring the clock. we went over the time limit by 5 minutes and i felt i could have said more.

my interviewer isn't really part of the admission committee... my interviewer actually went to MBA at a different school (a very good one too). my interviewer is only helping out the Haas adcom because thats where the passion lies in.

i also felt it was short. I really tried to gauge the interviewer's facial expressions to tell when to move on. With that said, I moved on rather quickly. I'd say that if I wanted to cover 2 points, I would get 1 or 1.5 of my points in before i could tell it was time to move on or another question was asked.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
suchivuk wrote:
Folks - Did any R1 applicants receive an interview call in the last few days ?

all of us here who got invites received them by email. i'm pretty sure they do not call. i haven't heard of any invites recently, but they practically all the way until the decision date

i think applicants only get called when they receive acceptance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Anyone else interviewed recently? So far, by reading all the interview reports, feels like it's a pretty standard interview (barring one, of course). My interview is in 1st week of Jan.
Also, looks like the acceptance rate at Haas is around 40% (correct me if I am wrong). Does anyone have any idea as to what percentage of applicants are interviewed?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kenny0929 wrote:
Anyone else interviewed recently? So far, by reading all the interview reports, feels like it's a pretty standard interview (barring one, of course). My interview is in 1st week of Jan.
Also, looks like the acceptance rate at Haas is around 40% (correct me if I am wrong). Does anyone have any idea as to what percentage of applicants are interviewed?

According to their admissions people, they interview ~2/3 of their applicant pool and everyone who gets admitted is interviewed. So, assuming that the 40% admission rate is correct, you have about a 60% chance of getting in if you get an interview invite.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did any of the R1 applicants receive an invitation for interview this week ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I finished my interview and here is a write-up of my experience which may help some of the other applicants:

I was there 30 min. before my scheduled time. I was asked to show identification and was checked-in. The interviewer was on-time and called out my name at the lobby. She was very friendly and we made some small talk on our way to the interview room. She was a member of the AdCom.

The questions were pretty straightforward as mentioned by previous interviewees:
1. Resume walk through.
2. Pointed at one of my experiences on my resume and asked a specific question related to it.
3. Short-term & Long-term goals
4. How would Haas help me in achieving them?
5. Strengths?
6. Weaknesses?
7. What would my colleagues say about me?
8. What can the class learn from me?
9. How am I different from other engineers who apply to Haas?
10. Pick one of Haas' principles and give an example.

I asked her a few questions about the program. All of this in about 30 min. They generally don't go over the time limit.

Good Luck, everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Leadership
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hi Folks, Are we going to receive the decision all on the same day? Or they will do batch by batch.
Cheers,
dvorak
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dvoraky wrote:
Hi Folks, Are we going to receive the decision all on the same day? Or they will do batch by batch.
Cheers,
dvorak

According to the adcom, they'll call people on February 1. Looking at past years, some people got a call the next day though. Also, they don't update the website immediately. So, you have to wait by the phone for a call.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Well, it looks like they've at least gone through my application. If I do get admitted, I'm going to have to take the statistics course:

Prerequisite Courses:
College-level Mathematics: Complete
Statistics: Incomplete
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I think by default they go through ALL admission packets to check for completeness
Based on what I read in the forum last year, folks got calls 1 day before the actual day or on the actual date

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
dvoraky wrote:
Cheers,
dvorak
According to the adcom, they'll call people on February 1. Looking at past years, some people got a call the next day though. Also, they don't update the website immediately. So, you have to wait by the phone for a call.

It's interesting that they actually calls everyone accepted. (Or do they call to decline as well?)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dvoraky wrote:
packet82 wrote:
dvoraky wrote:
Cheers,
dvorak

It's interesting that they actually calls everyone accepted. (Or do they call to decline as well?)

I believe they only call those accepted
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
Well, it looks like they've at least gone through my application. If I do get admitted, I'm going to have to take the statistics course:

Prerequisite Courses:

Anyone else reviewed so far? I am showing a blank (and trying not to read too much into it)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Blank for me too....

NateM wrote:
packet82 wrote:

Prerequisite Courses:

Anyone else reviewed so far? I am showing a blank (and trying not to read too much into it)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kenny0929 wrote:
Blank for me too....

NateM wrote:
packet82 wrote:

Prerequisite Courses:

I got exactly the same result:
I think one can take the waiver exam as well (in case admitted), right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dvoraky wrote:
I got exactly the same result:
I think one can take the waiver exam as well (in case admitted), right?

Yeah you can take an exam. If you pass you're good, if not, you get to take a class. I'm probably just going to take the class if I'm admitted. I could use the refresher as it's been almost a decade since I've done any statistics past what's required for the GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  75   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts