Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [21]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1762 [5]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [5]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [1]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a difficulty [#permalink]
Bookmarks
arps wrote:
Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a difficulty on the part of people to adopt to other modern technologies.

A)Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a difficulty on the part of people to adopt to other modern technologies.
C) Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, other modern technologies bring out a difficulty for many people to adopt to them.
D) Many people, though comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers, have difficulty adopting to other modern technologies.
E) Many people have a difficulty adopting to other modern technologies, while they are comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers.

Why is C wrong? How can we use perfect tense here, 'have' as no two events are occurring.

First of all it should be Adapting and not adopting .There seems to be error in the original post
moreover to show contrast although/though/but are preferred over 'while' since while can also mean (something is going on While something else happened)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a difficulty [#permalink]
Kudos
arps wrote:
Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a difficulty on the part of people to adopt to other modern technologies.

A)Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, there is a difficulty on the part of people to adopt to other modern technologies.
C) Unlike cellular phones and personal computers, other modern technologies bring out a difficulty for many people to adopt to them.
D) Many people, though comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers, have difficulty adopting to other modern technologies.
E) Many people have a difficulty adopting to other modern technologies, while they are comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers.

Why is C wrong? How can we use perfect tense here, 'have' as no two events are occurring.

+1 for D.

For choice C, pronoun ambiguity "them" can refer back to "people" or "modern technologies"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
GPA: 2.84
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
arps wrote:

Choice C illogically compares people to cellular phones and personal computer...

Explanation: the choice C....Unlike Cellular phone and personal computer, blah blah.... difficulty for many people to adopt to them.
How can cellular phone and personal computers adopt ANYTHING that people could adapt to...?? Doesn't make sense!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
arps wrote:

Hi

Where is option B? :shock:

C has already been explained above so here is my bit on rest of your query.

The rule you're trying to refer here describes past perfect tense and not present perfect tense.

'Many people have difficulty ... ' is not perfect tense at the first place.

Present perfect tense uses past participle form with has/ have.
For example: Many people have applied for the new openings.
or I have done my work.

Past perfect uses 'had' with past participle ( Past perfect tense is used to emphasize the timing of the first out of two sequenced actions in past)

The train had arrived before we reached the station.

Hope it helps!
Dolly
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
What is wrong with E?
Can someone help to explain it? Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 98
GPA: 2.84
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
yenpham9 wrote:
What is wrong with E?
Can someone help to explain it? Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device

You cannot have a difficulty... rather you can only find "something" difficult!
Hope that explains why E is incorrect!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Many people have a difficulty adopting to other modern technologies, while they are comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers

Have two mistakes:

A difficulty => Just need DIFFICULTY

While => Difficulty in using other..., but not difficulty in using phones and computers. In this situation, using "Although" can clarify the meaning of the sentence more than "WHILE"
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
atptennis15 wrote:
I want to know, why D is right ? It doesnt have any verb ?

The main verb in option D is "have".

The modifier "though comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers" is an adjectival phrase modifier (adjective : comfortable) for the noun "people", and hence does not require a verb.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
atptennis15 wrote:
I want to know, why D is right ? It doesnt have any verb ?

The main verb in option D is "have".

The modifier "though comfortable using cellular phones and personal computers" is an adjectival phrase modifier (adjective : comfortable) for the noun "people", and hence does not require a verb.

Thanks for the explanation, but doesnt have come with past participle ?
I am confused as there is no past participle.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM